Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I do run the Alpha 2 on my Jeep (due to the short bed) and like it. I see how they improved the product (e.g. having additional velcro straps on all sides), and I got a good deal last Black Friday for the tent, the "tent room" and a free awning (which will go on my trailer).

Compared to other alternatives, which most likely come from the same factory in China, it was the best offer for a "mini" hard shell tent.

Now the weather just needs to get better to get it to use ...

IMG_0051.jpg

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I like mine. Big improvement from the soft top. I did get the anti-condensation mat recently because I was having some moisture during cool weather and didn't want to be taking time to dry it out in the middle of a trip because it was not going to dry left alone.. Moisture is a problem anytime in the field and drying your stuff only takes a short while when conditions are favorable. If you are setting up again at the end of the day is not a problem just don't store stuff wet. No brainer, I know. I might get an ALPHA II instead of the full size if I did it again but I'm not complaining about the size or weight difference, just a little more than I need really. I like being able to store more bedding so that is a big plus. Also, being able to deploy and repack without all the climbing around is very nice. I use a wooden, flat, paint stirrer stick to tuck the fabric along the edges under the shell when closing. I sleep better in the rtt than at home in my sleep number bed. Another pro tip: Find a sealable container that suits you to use instead of climbing down in the dark to relieve yoself.

Reactions: Rolando

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Does anyone have the annex? Is it easy to use and does it have a floor?
Had an annex with my first one but never used it. I generally don't stay in one place long enough to justify the hassle. And, it was kind of heavy/bulky too. They do have a floor. People with kids and dogs seem to get the most use from them. If I were using a trailer setup it might be more appealing also.

Reactions: 4WheelAstroHack

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

Here you go - a beautiful Sunday to try things out ... much better than rolling into camp at 10:30 PM when it is pitch black and raining cats and dogs (and then trying to do this for the first time). With some head scratching it took about 20 mins total, and my guess is that you can bring this down to 10 which is not too bad IMHO.

Overall, it was easy, and I watched two YT videos to know what has to go where since there were no instructions in the box. Below are a couple of photos - please note that we didn't stake out the floor which would make things look better. However, my bed rack is too low, and there is a lot of fabric that needs to be managed and I will have to find a way to stretch it a bit. I might also want to add another extendable pole in the middle so that water won't pool but can run off.

75A24F0A-76DF-478A-9B3A-0430BC633491.jpgFAF279EE-1998-42B2-B5D3-84347E470CBD.jpg9B31C8ED-B5A9-4108-BA54-E4A5B2B64C60.jpg98B38B06-9D05-4033-B38D-389295E3D648.jpg

4WheelAstroHack

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carmichael, CA, USA
First Name
heath
Last Name
hatheway
Member #

Here you go - a beautiful Sunday to try things out ... much better than rolling into camp at 10:30 PM when it is pitch black and raining cats and dogs (and then trying to do this for the first time). With some head scratching it took about 20 mins total, and my guess is that you can bring this down to 10 which is not too bad IMHO.

Overall, it was easy, and I watched two YT videos to know what has to go where since there were no instructions in the box. Below are a couple of photos - please note that we didn't stake out the floor which would make things look better. However, my bed rack is too low, and there is a lot of fabric that needs to be managed and I will have to find a way to stretch it a bit. I might also want to add another extendable pole in the middle so that water won't pool but can run off.

View attachment 193678View attachment 193675View attachment 193676View attachment 193677
Thanks for doing this! Looks good! Glad to hear that it's not that difficult to do. Good information on making a purchase.

Reactions: Rolando

tractor to trail

Rank III

Advocate I

N. Florida
First Name
Fred
Last Name
S
Does anyone have the annex? Is it easy to use and does it have a floor?
Here's a link to mine in video. I really like the annex first time set up was some work. Zipping in the floor was the worst part. I leave it zipped in now. Packs all together in a plano XL tote. Hope this helps. Oh yeah forgot to mention, I really like the tent. Also getting faster with whole set up and annex. Like anything else the more you work at it, it gets easier. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I received mine about two weeks ago, haven’t had a chance to use it yet.
It seems well made, I have a hard time closing it all the way, but it gets there.
I wonder about going down the toad, the side that opens seems not to seal really well, but only time and a rain storm will tell.

KrakenRaptor

Rank I

Contributor III

Marietta, Cobb County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Krakauer
We’ve had ours for about a month - slept in it 4 nights (so far). Love it. Had the dog, our 9 yo, wife and I up there very comfortably.

Setup (no annex) is super quick/easy. Breakdown takes a few mins longer (mostly the tucking before latching it closed). But I’ve done both by myself in way less time than I would have spent on a ground tent.

I think an underrated benefit to the Alpha is you can store a lot of bedding in there when closed. We’ve got a hefty double sleeping bag, a child’s sleeping bag, blankets, and a full size pillow in there a d it closes like it was empty (if you keep all that in the right part of the tent).

Attachments