New to overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Boeser
Hey everybody! Just subscribed. I've been researching overlanding for a couple years and have always wanted to get into it. My gf and I were originally in CA but moved out of state. She is a travel nurse and the year and a half we've been on the road we've already been to half the country. Though it was more so a new experience for her because my family and I traveled from MN to CA every summer when I was young. But travel contracts are heavily decreasing and hospitals are incentivizing staff. So we are looking to settle either where we are currently in Spokane WA, or make the treacherous 20 minute freeway trip east and settle in idaho panhandle. We've been travelling around with a 2020 F250 tremor 7.3L and used it to tow my travel trailer and after our last camping trip to glacier this weekend, we will be selling the trailer as well as trading in the truck. My gf already knows what she's after and that's a Rav4 Hybrid. I, on other hand, want an older vehicle with miminal payments so I can build it up as my own and it would be my DD. So I've been looking at multiple vehicles and I can't decide on what to get.

My choices are either a 2nd-gen tacoma, 3rd-5th gen 4runner, an FJ62 or FJ80 land cruiser, and a jeep wrangler LJ. Before the f250, I had a 2021 4dr tacoma TRD OR long bed. I loved that truck and had it for a couple years before I met my gf and traded that in for the f250. So I already know I love the tacomas. But my only complaint is that I wish it had more power. Ive test driven several 4runners and loved them all, but can't decide on an early 5th gen or a 3rd-4th gen. The 4runner is a bit small for me but with it being a smaller vehicle it'll be much better to drive on trails. I've recently been researching land cruisers. My heart really wants the FJ62 for the look. But the amount of work I would like to do for it would equal almost a total restoration and I don't have that kind of money at all. So that's why I'm choosing the fj80 over the fj62. And as far as the jeep, I specifically want a TJ lineup jeep for the reliable engine. But my main concern is that it's still a jeep and jeeps are known for abysmal amount of issues. And im scarred It'll be in the shop more than a trail. But if I were to get a TJ, I would get an LJ because I am a bigger person and I just know fitting into It will be comical. For context, I am 5'11, 340lbs. I would describe my body type as a very thick and solid build all around as I do love to workout. NOT a fat bowling ball by any means.

The main goal is to get a vehicle and build it out into a solid offroad/overlanding vehicle. Nothing too crazy like some enthusiasts builds I've seen, but something very solid for a miminum weekender. Note that it's also going o be my DD. Everything logically points to a current 4runner/tacoma I am looking at or another, older tacoma because at heart I am a truck guy. But I also think owning a labdcruiser would be very cool and is a bit bigger than the 4runner so it would be comfortable. However, I have ALWAYS wanted my own jeep ever since my uncle took me out as a kid. But it comes with those risks.

I am sorry for such a long post, but I honestly am in a bit of a pickle and just cannot decide. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@thatsgreatrugby Follow your logic instead of your heart. If you need a truck, you need a truck.

You can DD and casually modify it and get a Jeep as a secondary, dedicated toy in the future. If you know you like the Tacoma, that's the safe pick.

If you're considering a SUV for passenger seating and you don't need an open bed on the regular, a Land Cruiser or even Sequoia should be on your menu. In my opinion, the size advantage is already lost on the 4Runner for two reasons - it's not really that small on the trail, but it's too small for your liking, so probably pass on that.

Taco being underpowered is not that big of a deal; people load them with waaay more than I'd ever think of carrying and they don't stress. If you're trying to tow heavy stuff, consider a Tundra.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I’ve been both a Jeep and Toyota guy for decades. Toyotas definitely required less upkeep but modifying them is expensive. Jeeps go almost anywhere. If I was looking for something these days I would find a late 70s blazer that someone had taken care of. No emissions. No computer. Plenty of room and power.

Reactions: DintDobbs

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hey everybody! Just subscribed. I've been researching overlanding for a couple years and have always wanted to get into it. My gf and I were originally in CA but moved out of state. She is a travel nurse and the year and a half we've been on the road we've already been to half the country. Though it was more so a new experience for her because my family and I traveled from MN to CA every summer when I was young. But travel contracts are heavily decreasing and hospitals are incentivizing staff. So we are looking to settle either where we are currently in Spokane WA, or make the treacherous 20 minute freeway trip east and settle in idaho panhandle. We've been travelling around with a 2020 F250 tremor 7.3L and used it to tow my travel trailer and after our last camping trip to glacier this weekend, we will be selling the trailer as well as trading in the truck. My gf already knows what she's after and that's a Rav4 Hybrid. I, on other hand, want an older vehicle with miminal payments so I can build it up as my own and it would be my DD. So I've been looking at multiple vehicles and I can't decide on what to get.

My choices are either a 2nd-gen tacoma, 3rd-5th gen 4runner, an FJ62 or FJ80 land cruiser, and a jeep wrangler LJ. Before the f250, I had a 2021 4dr tacoma TRD OR long bed. I loved that truck and had it for a couple years before I met my gf and traded that in for the f250. So I already know I love the tacomas. But my only complaint is that I wish it had more power. Ive test driven several 4runners and loved them all, but can't decide on an early 5th gen or a 3rd-4th gen. The 4runner is a bit small for me but with it being a smaller vehicle it'll be much better to drive on trails. I've recently been researching land cruisers. My heart really wants the FJ62 for the look. But the amount of work I would like to do for it would equal almost a total restoration and I don't have that kind of money at all. So that's why I'm choosing the fj80 over the fj62. And as far as the jeep, I specifically want a TJ lineup jeep for the reliable engine. But my main concern is that it's still a jeep and jeeps are known for abysmal amount of issues. And im scarred It'll be in the shop more than a trail. But if I were to get a TJ, I would get an LJ because I am a bigger person and I just know fitting into It will be comical. For context, I am 5'11, 340lbs. I would describe my body type as a very thick and solid build all around as I do love to workout. NOT a fat bowling ball by any means.

The main goal is to get a vehicle and build it out into a solid offroad/overlanding vehicle. Nothing too crazy like some enthusiasts builds I've seen, but something very solid for a miminum weekender. Note that it's also going o be my DD. Everything logically points to a current 4runner/tacoma I am looking at or another, older tacoma because at heart I am a truck guy. But I also think owning a labdcruiser would be very cool and is a bit bigger than the 4runner so it would be comfortable. However, I have ALWAYS wanted my own jeep ever since my uncle took me out as a kid. But it comes with those risks.

I am sorry for such a long post, but I honestly am in a bit of a pickle and just cannot decide. What do you guys think?
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Reactions: thatsgreatrugby

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Keep the Tremor, see if you can upsell the wife into a Jeep or 4runner (if/when it comes out).

Reactions: Advtres

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Boeser
I’ve been both a Jeep and Toyota guy for decades. Toyotas definitely required less upkeep but modifying them is expensive. Jeeps go almost anywhere. If I was looking for something these days I would find a late 70s blazer that someone had taken care of. No emissions. No computer. Plenty of room and power.
Yeah i love toyotas. It's funny that you mention a blazer, my very first vehicle was a 91 Chevy s10 blazer. That thing pooped out on me after 3 years though

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Welcome To Overland Bound
Here are a few links that might get you more traction for your questions.
In your area there is a monthly meetup that is run by @PapaDave, you can find it on the map or message him here.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. NorthWest (AK WA ID OR)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out the four Overland Expo events https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

Hey Jacob!
Welcome to the forum and I think the 4Runner and Tacoma platforms are great choices for what you want to do. Lots of options and aftermarket products depending upon how you want to explore. Each vehicle of course has their pros and cons, but good options for sure!

We have a local monthly meet up in Post Falls on the second Sunday. We just did a tire repair clinic and June 23-25th we are headed out on Section 7 of the Idaho BDR. Here’s the info and the second post of the thread is always updated with the current month’s info

Reactions: thatsgreatrugby

Contributor III

Spokane, WA, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Boeser

Hey Jacob!
Welcome to the forum and I think the 4Runner and Tacoma platforms are great choices for what you want to do. Lots of options and aftermarket products depending upon how you want to explore. Each vehicle of course has their pros and cons, but good options for sure!

We have a local monthly meet up in Post Falls on the second Sunday. We just did a tire repair clinic and June 23-25th we are headed out on Section 7 of the Idaho BDR. Here’s the info and the second post of the thread is always updated with the current month’s info
Hey thanks Dave for reaching out, I'll definitely look into that meetup link you sent me. Thank you so much

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
If you felt a 2021 Tacoma was underpowered avoid being tempted by a TJ to use as a daily driver. I express this opinion as somebody who has owned a 2003 TJ Rubicon for 20 years. I love my TJ and have travelled across the country with it a few times, but there are much better options for what you want. Once I realized the TJ wasn't the right tool for me (daily driver/trip vehicle) I eventually added a 100 series Land Cruiser to the stable. Since a high mileage 100 series can be bought for less than most of the other options out there, I was able to keep my TJ. Now I have the best of both worlds. Like you, I wanted the 80 series Land Cruiser but I made the mistake of test driving an 80 and 100 back to back. For my intended use, the 100 was clearly the better choice.

My advice. Find some locals with the vehicles you are interested in and drive them. This is really the only way to know what will work best for you.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
As a 4Runner owner, I am a little biased...

If your wanting to get out camping, exploring around and not thinking of doing any extreme off-roading, I would go with a build you can take family and friends in, throw in a couple dogs and/or kids and maybe tow a light trailer, 4 Runner does this fine.
Only draw backs - has no power, I mean NO power... its a brick and drives like one. You will need to get a transmission cooler installed, the stock one barely keeps up even when the rig is not loaded for a week of adventuring.
Bonus - Tons of after market parts - if you can dream of it, someone has built it and you can bolt it on ( see above about that transmission cooler )

You can check out my rigs build out here if interested
There is also a good thread on the bison/jeep discussion here

The one rig I am interested to see more of is the Bronco, I am an avid follower of these rigs.

See ya down the trail!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Welcome to the overland bound community. Glad to have you join us.