New to Overlanding what should i get? and where should i go?

• HTML tutorial

Alexander Scliris

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hampton Falls NH
First Name
Alexander
Last Name
Scliris
Member #

Hello Newbie here! i have some money left over around 1,500 dollars i was thinking of getting a roof top tent with an annex and an awning is there anything else i should get? As well i have been wondering where i can overland in the area of CT,NH,ME,VT not looking for anything too challenging rather i am looking for something scenic. Thank you in advance! (My rig is 2007 FJ CRUISER with a couple of upgrades)

bajatacoguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portsmouth NH
First Name
John
Last Name
Lomastro
Member #

Once you have your gear take a couple small trips (dry runs) to get to know your equipment.

Check out the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer. It has some logging roads that take you to some remote places.

Reactions: PB&Me and 9Mike2

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

My suggestion; hold off throwing a ton of money at a RTT. There's more important things to considered.
Overlanding is "vehicle based travel". Is your FJ up to the challenge of going "off road" or on unmaintained roads? If you can't get in and back out all the fancy camping gear in the world won't be of any use. Vehicle first, practical skills (such as navigation, self-recovery) second, camping gear last.

Tell us a little about your rig; tires, under armor, etc. I've got an '07 FJ as well, '17 4Runner too. Maybe I can help explain mods.

Skills; you've come to the right place. I suggest you read thread after thread after thread then ask questions.

Camping gear; Get out now with whatever you have , or don't have. As you go along you'll learn what you need vs, what you want.

Below is a short video we made describing the basics of how we pick an overland route. you may find it useful.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

maintenance first , all the coolest off-road gear in the world won't do a bit of good if your rig breaks down change out all your hoses belts is your timing chain maintained all your fluids fresh have a brake lines are they all in good shape? How are the U-joints how about the cvs ? It's often the smallest part that breaks it will cause the biggest headache

Reactions: 9Mike2

Alexander Scliris

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hampton Falls NH
First Name
Alexander
Last Name
Scliris
Member #

My suggestion; hold off throwing a ton of money at a RTT. There's more important things to considered.
Overlanding is "vehicle based travel". Is your FJ up to the challenge of going "off road" or on unmaintained roads? If you can't get in and back out all the fancy camping gear in the world won't be of any use. Vehicle first, practical skills (such as navigation, self-recovery) second, camping gear last.

Tell us a little about your rig; tires, under armor, etc. I've got an '07 FJ as well, '17 4Runner too. Maybe I can help explain mods.

Skills; you've come to the right place. I suggest you read thread after thread after thread then ask questions.

Camping gear; Get out now with whatever you have , or don't have. As you go along you'll learn what you need vs, what you want.

Below is a short video we made describing the basics of how we pick an overland route. you may find it useful.

Hello thank you for your response I have a 2007 fj cruiser with oldman emu 3 inch lift and arb skid plates with an arb front bumper I also have a track and rear locking diff I have a cb radio and a two way radio as well this summer I’m upgrading my tires I am in the market of getting a witch my rig has an hi jack lift a 5 gallon rotolox for my lighting I have a 52 inch curved light bar and a couple of light pods

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Hello thank you for your response I have a 2007 fj cruiser with oldman emu 3 inch lift and arb skid plates with an arb front bumper I also have a track and rear locking diff I have a cb radio and a two way radio as well this summer I’m upgrading my tires I am in the market of getting a witch my rig has an hi jack lift a 5 gallon rotolox for my lighting I have a 52 inch curved light bar and a couple of light pods
It sounds like you're well on your way with a capable sounding rig!

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

It looks like you’re well prepared, gear-wise to head on out.

As for where to go, one great way to get some “dirt time” is to go with an Overland Bound group, check the Overland Trips and Events / Meetups page. Also the suggestion above to find some fire or logging roads (if you have them near you) is a good one.

Lastly you can check out Trails Off-road for an easy trail near you. Since you’re new (as I am), I suggest sticking to level 1-2 for now:

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/map

Bear in mind that most experienced Overlanders / off-roaders strongly recommend going out with at least 1 other rig, just in case.

Last edited:

Alexander Scliris

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hampton Falls NH
First Name
Alexander
Last Name
Scliris
Member #

It looks like you’re well prepared, gear-wise to head on out.

As for where to go, one great way to get some “dirt time” is to go with an Overland Bound group, check the Overland Trips and Events / Meetups page. Also the suggestion above to find some fire or logging roads (if you have them near you) is a good one.

Lastly you can check out Trails Off-road for an easy trail near you. Since you’re new (as I am), I suggest sticking to level 1-2 for now:

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/map

Bear in mind that most experienced Overlanders / off-roaders strongly recommend going out with at least 1 other rig, just in case.
I have gone off roading a couple of times but I will definitely take a look into those amazing resources you guys gave me! December 15th I am doing a run can’t wait thank you for all your input!

Reactions: PB&Me

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I have gone off roading a couple of times but I will definitely take a look into those amazing resources you guys gave me! December 15th I am doing a run can’t wait thank you for all your input!
I've looked at the trailsoffroad link and unfortunately nothing show for New England. I joined ExploringNH which seems to run Class VI (not maintained roads) in NH. Currently I'm building my Xterra up in the hopes of starting to get into things. They do have a Trans-New Hampshire Overland Adventure Route (http://exploringnh.com/home/self-guided/) you can buy to run Solo (although they do advise you do it with others) or they have guided runs in-group I believe twice a year. They also have maps of trails/roads, but they don't hand them over until you've run with them and they trust you. Currently I haven't done a run with them (scheduling conflicts).

I've also started looking at the Maine maps and also about running the Golden Road or North Maine Woods. https://www.northmainewoods.org/ Once I find a few like-minded people to learn from I'm hoping to put something together.

Reactions: Alexander Scliris

Alexander Scliris

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hampton Falls NH
First Name
Alexander
Last Name
Scliris
Member #

I've looked at the trailsoffroad link and unfortunately nothing show for New England. I joined ExploringNH which seems to run Class VI (not maintained roads) in NH. Currently I'm building my Xterra up in the hopes of starting to get into things. They do have a Trans-New Hampshire Overland Adventure Route (http://exploringnh.com/home/self-guided/) you can buy to run Solo (although they do advise you do it with others) or they have guided runs in-group I believe twice a year. They also have maps of trails/roads, but they don't hand them over until you've run with them and they trust you. Currently I haven't done a run with them (scheduling conflicts).

I've also started looking at the Maine maps and also about running the Golden Road or North Maine Woods. https://www.northmainewoods.org/ Once I find a few like-minded people to learn from I'm hoping to put something together.
I have looked at exploring NH but since it is winter time they don’t do any runs so
I’m going to have to wait as well I’m thinking of buying that self guided tour but it’s pricey I will look at that website you linked to see if it is any good

Kilo Sierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Warren, New Hampshire, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Seaverson
Member #

I have looked at exploring NH but since it is winter time they don’t do any runs so
I’m going to have to wait as well I’m thinking of buying that self guided tour but it’s pricey I will look at that website you linked to see if it is any good
It's all private land/logging roads up there with some primitive camping. From what I've read you pay through checkpoints, and camping is by first-come basis. The only thing is to keep in mind once you're in there (and the Golden Road which is also owned) that the logging trucks ALWAYS have right of way and they are extremely loaded and travelling fast. It sounds like a good time.