New to overland and need some direction.

• HTML tutorial

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
So I bought it and it does need work, the chain in the tcase is lose so it needs a new or used one and already priced one and my brother will install it. It only has 119850 miles and came from Oregon so it’s rust free. Got it for $3,840 out the door.
Woohoo! Let the journey begin! Congrats!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks guys, some more pics. Looks like some new lines ac and break booster was replaced just looks so clean from what we are used to around here
very nice! sounds like you got a good deal and its a good looking rig

Reactions: Ubiety

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

Tomorrow it’s going into my brothers shop for a full inspection, hopefully I didn’t get screwed over! I drove it 60 miles back and didn’t really feel like there was any major issues it had a little slop in the steering but it was quiet otherwise. Transfer case or front differential is the only thing I’m worried about but looking at parts it won’t be too bad if I do need to replace one or the other or both. I guess to get a 2 inch lift it looks like torsion bars and and add a leaf, shackle lowers or full leaf pack.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
Congrats on the purchase! I love a new project. That motor is solid, just keep an eye on the starter and alternator as they tend to get beat up due to their location.

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
My first 4x4 was a Nissan. It was a small truck, but got me where I needed to go and was so light, I never got stuck. It was reliable...not sure how Nissans rank in that area these days. You might consider listing all the attributes you want in the new vehicle (e.g. number of seats, wheel base, fuel range, price, etc) and then rank the vehicles you find against your list. You're in a unique position in that you're not already starting with a vehicle in mind and can look for one that fits your requirements. You may find that you don't even need a 4x4.... :0

Didn't finish the thread before posting....congrats! Enjoy the new adventures...

Last edited:

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
So I bought it and it does need work, the chain in the tcase is lose so it needs a new or used one and already priced one and my brother will install it. It only has 119850 miles and came from Oregon so it’s rust free. Got it for $3,840 out the door.
congratulations

now for upgrades you might do, dont go overboard, get use to the vehicle first and then see what you need or want.

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

AWESOME!! Congratulations! Now the fun part starts.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I had a very similar one back in collage. Unfortunately I totaled it on the highway in -45 weather because of some black ice. Luckily help wasn't too far away
Wow, We brought ours home from the dealer on a wed, i put a set of stupid blue headlight bulbs in it. Went to gander on friday to a restaurant for a friends birthday, and on the way back 2 moose walked on the road in front of me. A Large cow and a calf. I picked the calf and 18,000 dollars in damage. None of us were hurt (besides the calf). the the rig was smoked. It spent 2 months back at the dealership getting repaired. to this day, I see it driving around from time to time and there is a small dent over the windshield they never fixed from the calfs hoof.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
FYI, I would install new in any critical part like that. It's not that big a price difference.

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

So found some interesting things out, we suspect they changed one of the axles or gears and the front and back are not turning the same distance. There is nothing wrong with the Tcase. So driving on snow the back tires every rotation spins while the front does not making me think they put the wrong gears or axle in the back. HG49 is door code.

Only other thing is a slight shutter going into overdrive around 45 mph.

Should I get the locking rear end from the pro?

Last edited:

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

So found some interesting things out, we suspect they changed one of the axles or gears and the front and back are not turning the same distance. There is nothing wrong with the Tcase. So driving on snow the back tires every rotation spins while the front does not making me think they put the wrong gears or axle in the back. HG49 is door code.

Lockers are rarely needed, but when you need them, they represent a significant improvement in capability.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Have fun!

Late reply, however I think the X-Terra will be fine. It wasn;t sold where live but we've had two X-Trails and they've been excellent - we took the second to Tierrra del Fuega and back in 11 months with zero problems. It's still in the family. With respect to Nissans, I had a Pathfinder briefly and a Patrol for two years in Congo - the Patrol was magnificent.

Someone asked about Monteros - we replaced the X-Trail with our current Montero, which we've driven around Australia - essentially as capable as the LC for half the price!

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams

Pop the covers off and count the teeth on the ring and pinion for both front and back, if they are not the same, change one to match. easy and cheaper than buying a rear end only to find out the front was different again.

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

Well we figured it out after a few hours, the hubs are blown and someone changed the rear to the lower gears. So I need to figures out what hubs to get and I already have a rear axle with 29k miles with the correct gears. I figure I can sell my 4.6 axle to help pay for the other one. We did look it over good and found it was take car of tho, New oil pan, timing belt, water pump, wires and plugs, new tires.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Well we figured it out after a few hours, the hubs are blown and someone changed the rear to the lower gears. So I need to figures out what hubs to get and I already have a rear axle with 29k miles with the correct gears. I figure I can sell my 4.6 axle to help pay for the other one. We did look it over good and found it was take car of tho, New oil pan, timing belt, water pump, wires and plugs, new tires.
I'd give the driveline u-joints a good look see; chances are with different gearing they endured some higher than normal stress (if used a lot in 4wd I suppose). Are the hubs manual?
Thanks for update!

dustan

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Northern Michigan
First Name
Dustan
Last Name
Tompkins
Member #

I'd give the driveline u-joints a good look see; chances are with different gearing they endured some higher than normal stress (if used a lot in 4wd I suppose). Are the hubs manual?
Thanks for update!
The hubs are stock auto's, with the truck in 2wd they click and pop. Looks like the warn are 250 bucks.