Superfishal

Rank III

Advocate I

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Alan
Just inherited a mint 2006 4 Runner and was wondering what size wheels and tires I can upgrade to on a stock suspension..also open to new suspension suggestions. Front struts/shocks could use replacement. It was my Dads and was garage kept since his passing in 2011..she is perfect…6 cylinder,spotless…..

Reactions: trail_runn4r

Visiontrd

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Saint Charles, St. Charles County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Brent
Last Name
LaBonde
Member #

Just inherited a mint 2006 4 Runner and was wondering what size wheels and tires I can upgrade to on a stock suspension..also open to new suspension suggestions. Front struts/shocks could use replacement. It was my Dads and was garage kept since his passing in 2011..she is perfect…6 cylinder,spotless…..
265/70-17 is about as big as your going to get on a stock truck . Check out 1stgenoffroad.com for lifts and parts . Josh the owner is very helpful and will piece you a kit together or a pre-made one per what u want or need vs just sell u a kit and disappear.

Reactions: Superfishal

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

275/70/17 will with without an issue on a a stock 4Runner. Bigger than that you need to lift and maybe do some trimming, depending on your setup.
If you are planning to lift it I would do that first and then take care of the tires.
Regarding which lift... there is a huge choice. It depends on how much you want to spend, how much lift do you want, what kind of off-roading are you interested in doing.

Superfishal

Rank III

Advocate I

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Alan
Truck will run on highway road 99% of the time, groomed dirt roads only. I have an Overland Jeep for the fun stuff. I saw a Tacoma that had 295 70 R 17 on it that had the look I like. Not sure what the offset was on the wheels but the tires filled the wheel well perfectly slightly outside the fenders. It definitely had either a leveling kit or minor lift on it. Good ride and profile is #1 priority.

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Truck will run on highway road 99% of the time, groomed dirt roads only. I have an Overland Jeep for the fun stuff. I saw a Tacoma that had 295 70 R 17 on it that had the look I like. Not sure what the offset was on the wheels but the tires filled the wheel well perfectly slightly outside the fenders. It definitely had either a leveling kit or minor lift on it. Good ride and profile is #1 priority.
A bilstein 5100 is the classic 4Runner entry level lift, pretty cheap too.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Good write up here on the different types, I went with Toytec so far so good.
Still running the 265s but when they wear down will go for whatever I can stuff in there!