New to everything

• HTML tutorial

The_dau

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hi guys. I'm Darrell, from Vancouver, BC in the great white north. Just took a leap and bought my first new vehicle and truck, a 2017 Toyota TRD Off Road double cab short box, in Inferno.

I have no past experience with trucks nor off roading/overlanding, my other vehicles are an Acura Integra and a CRV.

Took the truck out to some beginner trails, so far I'm loving it. Lots of plans, not a lot of funds.

Reactions: Tim and Big E

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
That's the story of my life also, lots of plans, not a lot of funds! As long as there's lots of fun!

Bob Dorsey

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Gresham, OR
Member #

I'm also new to the 4x4 element of off roading. We have spent a lot of nights in a Subaru but now also took the leap into a Toyota 4Runner. Seems a bit overwhelming with airing down and all that good stuff but so far we've had a blast getting to places that have previously been off limits. I'm very interested in a overloading class/course to practice the necessary skills.

Reactions: stoney126

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Anyone who is new to overlanding, and has a decently capable rig shouldn't worry too much about throwing $$$ at it right away. It's more capable than you know, and will do things you thought not possible. Now that's not to say you should go out and find the biggest rock garden you can and get hopelessly stuck. But, find some like minded folks (the OB forums are a great place to start) in your area and hit some trails with them. If they have way built up rigs, just make sure they know your level of experience and that they are willing to take some time to show you the ropes. There's a lot to learn, but take it in chunks that you can digest and understand and you'll have a great time. Ask questions on here. There's already a ton of info posted here and everyone wants to help see a fellow overlander on the trail. Welcome!

The_dau

Rank 0

Contributor I

Anyone who is new to overlanding, and has a decently capable rig shouldn't worry too much about throwing $$$ at it right away. It's more capable than you know, and will do things you thought not possible. Now that's not to say you should go out and find the biggest rock garden you can and get hopelessly stuck. But, find some like minded folks (the OB forums are a great place to start) in your area and hit some trails with them. If they have way built up rigs, just make sure they know your level of experience and that they are willing to take some time to show you the ropes. There's a lot to learn, but take it in chunks that you can digest and understand and you'll have a great time. Ask questions on here. There's already a ton of info posted here and everyone wants to help see a fellow overlander on the trail. Welcome!
Thanks! My main priority right now is building a lockable box for the bed (no one sells one in the exact dimensions I need) and building my own set of sliders/running boards with bolt on steps (for family) realistically I'm aiming for a bed rack and a tent, everything else I can make due with what I have

Sent from my LG-H831 using OB Talk mobile app

Bob Dorsey

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Gresham, OR
Member #

Thanks! My main priority right now is building a lockable box for the bed (no one sells one in the exact dimensions I need) and building my own set of sliders/running boards with bolt on steps (for family) realistically I'm aiming for a bed rack and a tent, everything else I can make due with what I have

Sent from my LG-H831 using OB Talk mobile app
Good words!

Simon Wolfe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sunnyvale, CA
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Wolfe
Member #

What a fun position you are in, starting off fresh. There are just so many cool things you can do with your rig. By doing a bit of shopping around, a bit of DIY, and some ingenuity you can save a lot and still have an awesome set up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Dorsey

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Wow! That is a pretty awesome color! Nice truck. Welcome to OB.