New to bay area (Walnut Creek)

• HTML tutorial

Rdoogz89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

My family and I are relocating from VA out to California. I am a fed transferring from NOAA to the EPA's office in San Francisco. I have 3 year old and a 9 mo. old.

We love camping and hitting the trails in our 06 4runner. I am looking for some advice on some good spots to check out. I would appreciate any input. Also we are always down to meet like minded people to hang out!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
My family and I are relocating from VA out to California. I am a fed transferring from NOAA to the EPA's office in San Francisco. I have 3 year old and a 9 mo. old.

We love camping and hitting the trails in our 06 4runner. I am looking for some advice on some good spots to check out. I would appreciate any input. Also we are always down to meet like minded people to hang out!
Welcome to OLB West Region!
There are several meet-ups in your area, so if your interested check out the meet-up page of the forum.

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Reactions: Rdoogz89

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Welcome to the forum. I'm about 10 minutes away from you in Orinda and have an almost 3 year old. What kind of trails do you like to run?

Rdoogz89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Welcome to the forum. I'm about 10 minutes away from you in Orinda and have an almost 3 year old. What kind of trails do you like to run?
I like to hit up technical trails. Ledges, rocks, water, etc.. I'd like to see what the west coast has to offer.

Btw, do you know of any rent-a-lift type places where you can work on your rig? We are going from a house to a condo and the hoa rules say no working on your vehicle on the driveway :(

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I like to hit up technical trails. Ledges, rocks, water, etc.. I'd like to see what the west coast has to offer.

Btw, do you know of any rent-a-lift type places where you can work on your rig? We are going from a house to a condo and the hoa rules say no working on your vehicle on the driveway :(
The good news is that there are a lot of fun trails within 4-5 hours of the Bay Area. I'm happy to make some recommendations, just want to make sure they are appropriate. It sounds like you enjoy rock crawling. Is your 4Runner stock, or do you have a lift, tires, sliders, etc?

Unfortunately I don't know of any rent-a-lift places where you can do your own work. I've heard people talk about opening a business like that, but liability becomes an issue. That said, if you are ex-military many bases seem to have facilities for working on your truck. Do you have a garage at your condo? One place I lived in SF had strict rules about not working on your car, but I would just close the garage door and try not to use the impact wrench too much.

Rdoogz89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

The good news is that there are a lot of fun trails within 4-5 hours of the Bay Area. I'm happy to make some recommendations, just want to make sure they are appropriate. It sounds like you enjoy rock crawling. Is your 4Runner stock, or do you have a lift, tires, sliders, etc?

Unfortunately I don't know of any rent-a-lift places where you can do your own work. I've heard people talk about opening a business like that, but liability becomes an issue. That said, if you are ex-military many bases seem to have facilities for working on your truck. Do you have a garage at your condo? One place I lived in SF had strict rules about not working on your car, but I would just close the garage door and try not to use the impact wrench too much.
No not stock. I have a 3 inch lift, sliders, some rci armor, 32 inch bfg mud terrains, extended rear diff breather for deep water. My build is in progress, but who's isnt? Obviously not climbing any boulders or anything extreme, but it is a blast trying to get over obstacles. I wouldnt say just I'm into just crawling (because I dont have that crazy of a set up yet). The family and I just like to do anything that gets us outside.

That sucks. There a couple places like that over here, including the hobby shop on base. I had some DOD privleges from NOAA, but I wont have them anymore transferring to the EPA. I'll have to figure something out because I wont have a garage. We are renting till we feel the area out.

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
I’ve got almost everything except a lift and a tire machine.

But between race ramps and jack stands I’ve been able to get by.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. I’m just in concord. Thur-sat are the best days as my wife is off to watch the kid

Rdoogz89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I’ve got almost everything except a lift and a tire machine.

But between race ramps and jack stands I’ve been able to get by.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. I’m just in concord. Thur-sat are the best days as my wife is off to watch the kid
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the offer and will probably have to take you up on it one day. I was getting a little concerned about the situation.

I don't have any immediate maintenance coming up because I am trying to get everything done out here while I can, but now that I've said that...... What is your contact info since you are so close by? We should get a ride in or figure out something. I've never set foot in that area before, I have no idea what to expect.

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1573097229405956

There is also this above fb group which has a bunch of different platforms and businesses local to the bay. Although it’s starting to expand to sac and Nevada.

Depending what kind of off-roading you like, there is a crawling fb group called “wheelin with friends” that is based out of San Jose mostly.

If you like the fast stuff, the raptor Offroad community. They accept non raptor vehicles but you need a vehicle that has the suspension to keep up. They scoot. Their trips are awesome though.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
No not stock. I have a 3 inch lift, sliders, some rci armor, 32 inch bfg mud terrains, extended rear diff breather for deep water. My build is in progress, but who's isnt? Obviously not climbing any boulders or anything extreme, but it is a blast trying to get over obstacles. I wouldnt say just I'm into just crawling (because I dont have that crazy of a set up yet). The family and I just like to do anything that gets us outside.
It sounds like your truck is fairly well set up. There are many trails in Northern California that could be a good fit, two you might want to look into are Genoa Peak up near Tahoe and Corral Hollow off highway 4. If you are looking for a longer trip we always like heading to Bodie using the "back entrance" that goes through Masonic, you can then head down into the Mono Lake area. There is lots to explore.

Rdoogz89

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

It sounds like your truck is fairly well set up. There are many trails in Northern California that could be a good fit, two you might want to look into are Genoa Peak up near Tahoe and Corral Hollow off highway 4. If you are looking for a longer trip we always like heading to Bodie using the "back entrance" that goes through Masonic, you can then head down into the Mono Lake area. There is lots to explore.
Awesome, I am very interested. We need to talk more about those spots.

My set up has served me well so far, I have not run into any trails out in the blue ridge mtns out here that have given me any trouble. People talk crap about bilsteins, but 6112/5160's paired with icon springs and JBA UCAs have done well. It looks like you have a gen 3 runner so im not sure if you guys have the same brake issues that the gen 4s have, but I also did the update to run the gen 5 rotors and calipers. Coupled with SS lines, it makes a noticeable difference in stopping power.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I'm a big fan of Bilsteins and have the 5100s on my 4Runner and am considering the 6112/5160 combo for my Tacoma, except that I don't think the 5160s are long enough. The standard 3rd gen 4Runner brakes tend to fade, I have the sport model which has larger diameter front rotors and they are holding up so far.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk more about trails.