Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cannelton, Indiana
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gilmore
Member #

So this past weekend I purchased a 98 Toyota 4runner SR5 4X4 with 224k miles on it. The rear suspension is sagging badly (which I read was a common issue) to the point where when I go over speed bumps my rear end bottoms out. My problem is that I can't find replacement suspension components for it. I don't wanna raise it, just replace struts and springs. Anybody know where I can find some and what are good brands? Thanks in advance...
Christopher #1090

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

@BuddyLe3 If you go to the enormously vast www.t4r.org website, you'll find more info on 98's than you ever thought possible! Saggy rears are famous with 3rd gens. Lots of people just get a mild weight Old Man Emu springs in all four corners. They do offer them for no lift, but you'll be a little lifted because yours are probably shot like mine were! Those, with standard shocks, you'll have a lot of life breathed back into it!

Here's the link to the 3rd gen build threads. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/196091-3rd-gen-build-thread-directory.html

Dustin S. Godtfring

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Spokane valley, Washington 99206
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Godtfring
Member #

Last edited:
Reactions: TMP

TMP

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Powers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ONM
With that many miles you should replace the springs and shocks all around. The rears are probably rusted and the top mounts are hard to access with very little space so most people either bend then back and forth till the break or cut them off at the top.
T4R will def do you right!

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring