Colorado Springs, El Paso County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
I am getting to the point of buying new tires. I am looking at the BFGoodrich KM3 and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar. I am full time overlanding and spend more time off the asphalt than on it. I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and love them. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

I am getting to the point of buying new tires. I am looking at the BFGoodrich KM3 and the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar. I am full time overlanding and spend more time off the asphalt than on it. I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac and love them. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
I run KM3’s on my work truck (3’rd set) and I love them as they have helped me avoid some sticky situations. My co worker has the Duratrac’s on his and they have performed comparably well. Both are F-150’s and we hit some moderate trails and two tracks when responding to fires or on old logging roads. My personal FJ has Falcon Wildpeak AT3W’s and I’m looking at another set. They wear better than the KM3’s (60K vs 30K) and are less expensive. Both are quiet where the MT/R kevlars are a bit loud. If price isn’t an issue and you don’t find yourself in hardpack snow and ice I’d go with the KM3’s for sure! A good AT has the siping for the icy conditions and good wear characteristics plus good grip on Moab slick rock if it’s your daily. …says the moderate trail trail goer here.

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
I run KM3’s on my work truck (3’rd set) and I love them as they have helped me avoid some sticky situations. My co worker has the Duratrac’s on his and they have performed comparably well. Both are F-150’s and we hit some moderate trails and two tracks when responding to fires or on old logging roads. My personal FJ has Falcon Wildpeak AT3W’s and I’m looking at another set. They wear better than the KM3’s (60K vs 30K) and are less expensive. Both are quiet where the MT/R kevlars are a bit loud. If price isn’t an issue and you don’t find yourself in hardpack snow and ice I’d go with the KM3’s for sure! A good AT has the siping for the icy conditions and good wear characteristics plus good grip on Moab slick rock if it’s your daily. …says the moderate trail trail goer here.
Thanks for the input.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

What kind of trails/terrain do you usually run?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

All good choices.
What do you drive? Define off asphalt.
More to the point what are your expectations for ride, mileage, tread life..... and budget.

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps
trail_runner4r and billiebob,

I currently have a home base in Colorado Springs. I drive a 2013 Silverado 1500 extended cab with a 6.75ft bed. It is stock height as of now. I recently went full time status and have been on easy to moderate trails and forrest service roads. I will be getting 285/70r18 tires to replace the 265/65r18 ones. I will also be doing a 2” BDS leveling kit at the same time. I guess, realistically, I would be spending 65-75% of the time off-road.
I plan on eventually having a 4”BDS coil over with remote reservoir lift, but my budget is going to getting other work done on my truck now. Lol, I did some damage to the passenger front and rear door along with the rocker panel. I can get both tires for about the same price so the budget for the tires now isn’t a big deal.

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I've had a few sets of Wildpeak AT3's. First set (285/75r16)has almost 70k and is on our 2wd pre-runner and the second set (315/70r17) has been on my JKU for a couple years now with 40k on them and great tread depth still.
The only minor issues I've had with these traction wise, has been on super tech-y, rockcrawling trails in the jeep, where they didn't have as much bite as some of the big MT's that people run out here.

They're good on snow, great on dirt and in the sand, they've been quiet-ish on road over the years and with ok puncture resistance. They've also balanced out ok and I haven't had issues with them getting out of round, or wearing weirdly through the 100k+ miles we've put on the two sets. We also do five tire rotations on both trucks, every 5-8k. This helps a ton with wear and keeping them wearing well.

GBGCR4x4

Rank III

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Gianluca
Last Name
Boncompagni
I personally own the BF Goodrich AT KO2, I absolutely love them. They have performed very well on dirt trails, muddy roads, crossing rivers, dry trails, you name it. They are not as noisy as the former MTs I had, and I just feel that as of today, from the tires I have tested, they are the best quality and performance wise!

Reactions: 200LC and MrWright

Xdtitan

Rank V

Pathfinder III

I've run a bunch of tires:
duratracks they worked well got cut up looked like Edward scissor hands had a go at them but they never left me stranded
General grabber APT rode nice chucked rocks every chance they got. Got rid of them
General grabber ATX ride nice good grip, good in all weather can be studded. Currently running a studded set for winter work great
Yokahoma X-AT hybrid all terrain great in every situation except ice very smooth on the road they don't pull, they are quiet, wear even and slow. don't pick up or chuck many rocks. Don't get damaged easily strong sidewalls and have a treadwear warranty. This might be the first tire I buy a second set of

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I currently have a home base in Colorado Springs. I drive a 2013 Silverado 1500 extended cab with a 6.75ft bed. It is stock height as of now. I recently went full time status and have been on easy to moderate trails and forrest service roads. I will be getting 285/70r18 tires to replace the 265/65r18 ones. I will also be doing a 2” BDS leveling kit at the same time. I guess, realistically, I would be spending 65-75% of the time off-road.
I plan on eventually having a 4”BDS coil over with remote reservoir lift, but my budget is going to getting other work done on my truck now. Lol, I did some damage to the passenger front and rear door along with the rocker panel. I can get both tires for about the same price so the budget for the tires now isn’t a big deal.

A bit off -topic (mods forgive), but I have a 2014 GMC Sierra of the same configuration and have a bed cap on as well. Basically the same truck. If you do go with the level kit, you may want to make sure to put some blocks in the rear. I leveled mine and with the Leer cap and some equipment in the back, it can look as though its leaning back on its haunches a bit.

To keep it on-topic, I'm also eyeing the Falken WildPeaks, so I'll be watching the replies here

Reactions: Desert Runner

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So I just looked at your desired tire size, because I don't want to recommend anything that's not available, for 285/70r18 there isn't to much listed for 285/75r18 are much more tires listed, would that be a possible option for you?

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps

A bit off -topic (mods forgive), but I have a 2014 GMC Sierra of the same configuration and have a bed cap on as well. Basically the same truck. If you do go with the level kit, you may want to make sure to put some blocks in the rear. I leveled mine and with the Leer cap and some equipment in the back, it can look as though its leaning back on its haunches a bit.

To keep it on-topic, I'm also eyeing the Falken WildPeaks, so I'll be watching the replies here
I most definitely will do that. Thanks for the input. Throw up some pics.

MrWright

Rank VI

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Service Branch
US Marine Corps

So I just looked at your desired tire size, because I don't want to recommend anything that's not available, for 285/70r18 there isn't to much listed for 285/75r18 are much more tires listed, would that be a possible option for you?

MazeVX- good catch on the sizes. My main thought is to get around the 33x10.50r18. If I do that I can order the Goodyear MTR from the VA Canteen and get a good discount plus no tax. If I do the BFGoodrich KM3 I would do the 275x70r18 because it is the closest to the 33x10.50r18. The KM3 in 275x70r18 is way cheaper per tire than the 285x70r18. I just made the typo earlier I would do the 33x10.50r18 or 275x70r18. Good looking out.

Reactions: MazeVX

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

MazeVX- good catch on the sizes. My main thought is to get around the 33x10.50r18. If I do that I can order the Goodyear MTR from the VA Canteen and get a good discount plus no tax. If I do the BFGoodrich KM3 I would do the 275x70r18 because it is the closest to the 33x10.50r18. The KM3 in 275x70r18 is way cheaper per tire than the 285x70r18. I just made the typo earlier I would do the 33x10.50r18 or 275x70r18. Good looking out.
With my front end leveled, I have been thinking about 33's as well. The highway Yokohamas I have now are 265/65/18 and I think they look small under my truck.

A guy gave me a $1600 estimate for Wildpeak 33's (they were actually closer to 34's) put on the 17 inch steel wagon wheels, and with tpms. Having good winter tires already, suddenly needing new eyeglasses, and being so close to Christmas, I couldnt justify the expense.

I'd settle for 32.x but think I'm waiting until spring either way

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I just converted to Nitto Trail Grapplers though you could go with the ridge or terra.
Seem to be holding up good, lots of traction, and pretty quiet going down the road and can take some pretty heavy side wall abuse.