Enthusiast I

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Guys,

I’m looking for advice on tires. I’m currently running Nitro Crossteks on my stock Ram 1500 Wheels (20s). I’m happy with them as highway tires but I don’t think they’ll work for some of the trips I’m planning. This Summer I’ll be going to Portsmouth Island, NC which is all soft sand trails (to my knowledge). That being said, the vast majority of my driving right now will still be on road so I can’t really justify a serious A/T tire. For now, I’m leaning towards these BFG Trail Terrains. They’re new to the market but look like they’ll work well for what I’m doing. I’d also prefer to get new wheels with offset at some point too so I could put some serious A/T’s on them and keep the stock wheels for daily driving. What do you all think? I’m open to suggestions for other tires as well.

Attachments

Reactions: NCFireGuy

NCFireGuy

Rank VI

Influencer I

West Jefferson, North Carolina, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Bouchard
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Fire/EMS
I have some KO2's on my stock which I love but they are getting very long in the tooth. I was looking at the Patagonia M/T which ae about half the Price and from everything I read they are really good. Notice the link is for a size up from Stock for the 20 inch rims. I have thought about switching down to 17 inch Moto Metal MO962 but that is over 3,400 for the whole deal.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Jack Houston

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I run Widlpeak AT3s on just about everything except my Ridgeline. They have been exceptional on everything from my Suburban, to my XJ, and all the way down to my Samurai. On-road, off-road, mud, or sand they are really exceptional tires.

I run Wildpeak AT Trail on the Ridgeline. They are also a pretty decent tire. Not as grippy off-road as the AT3, but very good for a more street-oriented tire.

Reactions: adv.fam.4

Boanerges91oh

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
First Name
James
Last Name
Scott
I live in NC and was looking for a good AT tire and ended up going with the KO2. I wanted a tire that would perform well in sand, mud, clay and or rock. The Kenda Klevar, Falken Wild peak, and BFG KO2 was what it came down to. From my research they were all in the same neighborhood in pricing.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Over the last decade we've run (in order of preference based on the experience) Pirelli Scorpions, Dunlop Grandtrek, BFG T/A, Yokohama Geolandar, and Toyo Open Country. This is for about 70% highway/25% unsurfaced/5% offroad. We ended up with the Geolandars as our best pick, although when we were in Australia and had to replace one we looked for a BFG T/A because this would be more appropriate for the conditions - and the shop suggested the Toyos, on the basis of their being as good as the BFGs but more economical. We're now running on Toyos and they're quieter than the BFGs, as good as the Geolandards on the highway, and cheaper than both.

Reactions: KAIONE

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

BFG KO2s. I have KO2s on my Trailhawk, Patagonia M/Ts on my WJ, and Toyo M/Ts on my Silverado 2500HD. The KO2s are the best all-around tire of all of them. The Patagonias are surprisingly quiet on road, but I hear they wear very quickly (I don't have enough miles on them yet to say ;) ). The Toyos wear very well, but get loud as they wear and are too aggressive for what you're looking to do. I can say from first-hand experience that KO2s are also excellent in sand (and snow).

-TJ

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
BFG KO2s. I have KO2s on my Trailhawk, Patagonia M/Ts on my WJ, and Toyo M/Ts on my Silverado 2500HD. The KO2s are the best all-around tire of all of them. The Patagonias are surprisingly quiet on road, but I hear they wear very quickly (I don't have enough miles on them yet to say ;) ). The Toyos wear very well, but get loud as they wear and are too aggressive for what you're looking to do. I can say from first-hand experience that KO2s are also excellent in sand (and snow).

-TJ
OP is marginal on ATs, so MTs are a bridge too far I think.

Interesting to hear of the wear rate on the Toyo MTs. For us MTs are not of interest - too noisy, wear quickly, and we rarely go anywhere where MTs are needed.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

OP is marginal on ATs, so MTs are a bridge too far I think.

Interesting to hear of the wear rate on the Toyo MTs. For us MTs are not of interest - too noisy, wear quickly, and we rarely go anywhere where MTs are needed.
That's why I recommended the KO2s over any of the MTs I've run.

-TJ

runswithscissors

Rank III

Advocate I

Arkansas, USA
First Name
phillip
Last Name
bonds
I have some KO2's on my stock which I love but they are getting very long in the tooth. I was looking at the Patagonia M/T which ae about half the Price and from everything I read they are really good. Notice the link is for a size up from Stock for the 20 inch rims. I have thought about switching down to 17 inch Moto Metal MO962 but that is over 3,400 for the whole deal.

I hope this helps.

i Hate mine.. * patagonia's * they are wearing badly. the noise is the worst. they do not stop well on wet pavement. if you want to come to AR. i can give you a set really cheap =) i would not recommend these tires unless you really like to yell at the person you are ridding with. buy.. off road. they are monsters.. (also before anyone says it) i kept the air pressure constant and was hypervigilant on rotating.. last time i had it done they really had trouble getting one tire to balance. they almost gave up.. i said it sure sounds like a warranty issue. i could tell by the look on his face he disliked those tires as well lol. just my 2cent.