New Tacoma Trailhunter - What does this mean for 4Runner?

• HTML tutorial

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have to wonder what this newly announced Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter model means for the next version of the 4Runner. Can’t wait to see what features and partnerships (e.g. ARB) they implement.

It's safe to assume the next-gen 4Runner will get all the same models and partnerships as the 'taco. That seems to be the trend with the previous gen 'taco (as in 3rd Gen, considering this new one as "current" now but I suppose that's a bit premature) & current 4Runner.

-TJ

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
They had one at Overland Expo West

IMG_6228 (Edited).JPG

Attachments

Reactions: grubworm and Boort

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I have to wonder what this newly announced Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter model means for the next version of the 4Runner. Can’t wait to see what features and partnerships (e.g. ARB) they implement.

Probably a very similar engine, if note the same and comparable trims. The GX should be revealed first so that will shed some light.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Probably a very similar engine, if note the same and comparable trims. The GX should be revealed first so that will shed some light.
Do you think they’ll use the same I-force?

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Do you think they’ll use the same I-force?
I expect the same engine/hybrid suspension, transmissions minus the manual. This is based on reading the face of the tech I was asking the questions to while he said no comment but face suggested yes.

Last edited:

Peanuts

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Cravalho
Member #

4Runners classically have been more trail ready than Tacomas. I’d expect a bit more rough and ready in the 6th gen. Side note, these new trucks are not very attractive.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Generally, you want to make the first batch of a new generation ugly.

The first new Broncos off the assembly line were all painted blue green baby puke with soft tops, for example.

Looks like they put a ton of effort into this. But those GM wheel wells are a deal breaker.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I'm thinking this will be quite similar, mechanically, to the 4Runner but I can't imagine they'll install an ARB rear bumper or anything similar.

Reactions: Tundracamper

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I personally think for the money, a much better custom build could be done. Yeah there's supposed to be some factory warranty now but that's yet to be seen how it will really work and pay off. Now if money is no issue, then there ya go!

Reactions: AggieOE