New suspension guidance before I start installing...am I missing something key?

• HTML tutorial

ootnaboot

Rank 0

Contributor I

San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Graziano
Hey Overlanders! So I could use a bit of guidance. I have an '11 TRD OR V6 access cab that, after putting 146k on it, I've decided to (finally) upgrade my suspension from the stock 4600s (and of course, silly oem leafs) to something better. I finally decided on and purchased a set of 5100s for the front and 5160s for the rear, and a set of Icon RXT multi-rate leafs. (If and when I start adding weight to the front end, e.g., a new bumper, winch, etc., I'll change out the fronts to the 6112s or something in that range.) And as of now, I'll be keeping the stock coil springs since I have no additional weight up front and they are in great shape. I recently put a set of KO2s on making a minor change in size, from the stock 265/70R16s to 265/75R16s.

Most of my off roading has been on milder terrain (mostly when I head to distant climbing areas), and overlanding on usually pretty well-traveled high clearance vehicle trails. But I'm planning to start overlanding in more significant ways and want a rig that'll give me a bit more. (Of course, I'd love to invest in a set of "higher quality" shocks, but my current budget simply won't allow for it. So, I decided to build the new suspension at this point around the new leafs.)

Here's the plan for my suspension set (driven by both my budget and goals). I have a Snugtop shell, roof racks (and often a cargo box), and a bunch of climbing and camping gear in the back (regularly ~300lbs). (There's a good chance that I'll be replacing the shell with a Four Wheel Camper in the next year.) Given that, I've decided that I should go with Option 2 for the RXT leafs, which according to Icon, with my load, is supposed to give me ~1.75" lift in the rear. To keep the truck relatively level (maybe a slight rake), I'm figuring it'll be best to set the 5100s to the 2" snap ring slot (slot #3).

I did get a set of new longer rear brake line to handle the changes. And I'm aware of the possibility that I'll need to change out the needle bearing ECGS clamshell bushing, and the (much debated) issue regarding the carrier bearing spacer in the rear.

So, here are my two questions I'm hoping people will help me answer:

(1) Are there any significant issues that I'm missing and should expect I might run into with this proposed set up? In particular, does this plan allow me to use the stock UCAs? My understanding is that I need to replace the UCAs only if I go over 2" in the front.

(2) Given the expected lift in the rear with the new leafs, to keep the truck level, do you expect the 2" position for the lower spring seat is the right one? Obviously, I can do a bold it on and see, but since I'm paying my local shop to install the front shocks (I don't want to deal with coil springs), I'd like to "get it right the first time".

Any help, insights, suggestions, or anything else you think would be constructive food for thought as I get ready to install this set up is super welcome. Cheers! And happy overlanding!