New Rig

• HTML tutorial

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

I am new to overlanding and am looking to start building a rig soon. However I am trying to decide between a Tacoma or a Wrangler. This rig would also be my daily driver so it needs good gas mileage. I love the look of a Wrangler, but like the idea of having a bed. I saw the new Jeep Gladiator, but don’t know if I can afford that or how quickly parts would be available for it with it being so new to market. What does the community think, so I go with a Wrangler, Tacoma, or wait to get a Gladiator? I would love to hear from owners on what are the best and worst features of a Wrangler and Tacoma.

Thanks everyone.

John Lime III

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anchorage, AK
First Name
John
Last Name
Lime III
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL4OF
I thought about the Gladiator. I was looking at a new JL Wrangler for next summer, but had to get out of my last vehicle quick and ended up in a Renegade.

The Gladiator would be in 2-3 summers (depending on when I wanted to order it). I am leaning towards the Wrangler still as the Gladiator takes a JL Unlimited and adds 2 1/2 feet in length and weight is increased as well. As I will be doing off road, this trade off is unacceptable for my needs. I did look at the Colorado ZR2 package, but I can't get past the grille (I am avidly anti-Chevy, could live with other GM lines though). If I could get the GMC version with the off road stuff the ZR2 package has, or if the GMC grille would fit the Chevy (it won't, whole body front end is different), I'd consider it. Probably going to get a Wrangler in 20 or 21.

My last vehicle was a 2500 Ram Mega Cab. The last 2+ years I have only needed a truck bed a few times and a small Lowe's type trailer would work better for me as they're lower to the ground.

Good luck!

Reactions: Graeman

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Gladiator? Nah. My guess is that it will be stupid expensive when it first comes out and magically only fully loaded ones will be availible for the first bit.

Want to peel your roof and doors off? Jeep.
Dont want to peel your roof and doors off? Taco.

And I don't mind chevies either. Expecially the little duramax. Im just not into them.

Reactions: Arailt

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I am starting to lean more too a Wrangler, I live in Texas and being able to take the doors and roof off in the summer be nice.

S

SubeeBen

Not to sure about the others but I own a 2017 Jku , 2.5” lift, stock tires & I only get 14 to 16 mpg on average. Also have a smittybilt src roof rack which might not help but not the best mpg. IMO. Either way I don’t care I love my Jeep & would never think twice on any other vehicle.

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I own both. [emoji6] A pickup is great for loads you don’t want inside. Think muddy, smelly, or oversized (like a mount bike or dirt bike). A pickup is great, carries more fuel, accessories and motorcycle cycles, then a trailer hitch carrier. And the bikes don’t weigh much, so almost no change in mpg. Now when it comes to securing a load, enclosed cab all the way, and personally, I’m a hard top guy. Something about being able to placing your gear (or Christmas presents) inside the cab, without imposing on seating for the family is great. No wet, airborne or walking away packages. And with the Jeep, when I want to a convertible for the summer, mine has 4 wheel drive!

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I bought my jeep jku last year, it was a journey of 3 years... I will throw in another argument... Weather! How's the weather at your home area? Often changing hot in summer cold in winter? Everything on the bed of a truck is getting the temperature even when the hardtop saves it from sun or rain.
That's one of the reasons I got the wrangler.

DennisTheMenice

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I just went through this before i bought my 4runner.

1. Do you have a family
2. None of these are good with MPGs except zr2 diesel IMO.
3. Quality is most important thing for me. So review all forums for problems.
4. My vote was for a taco.... then my wife said no not enough room. So i got my 4runner.

Either way the only mistake you can make is second guessing your purchase after the fact. Dont buy until you are very sure.

For me i setteled on the taco, then to the 4runner, over to the ZR2, back to a Rubicon.... then price evaluation vs offroad gadgets then reliability this is where the 4runner stood out. However, my mouth watered over front and rear lockers on a diesel.... man on man. However, searching forums i found issues.

So of your choices knowing no other criteria..... i vote the taco purely on capacity and reliability.