Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I completed a six month adventure back in 2015 in my 2009 Jeep Wrangler.
I'm currently wanting to do this again summer 2023 but getting new rig for a 24 month trip.

I'm wanting a few opinions as my budget before build out is around 30k.

I have never attempted to head out for more than 6 months and concern about SUV reliability is my issue. I plan on sleepin in SUV as I'm planing on outfitting the roofrack with storage.

My heart is either set on a Land Rover LR4 or 2020 Discovery but honestly, these vehicles will be nothing but problems. I can always fall back on a Toyota 4runner. That's the smart move isn't it.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I completed a six month adventure back in 2015 in my 2009 Jeep Wrangler.
I'm currently wanting to do this again summer 2023 but getting new rig for a 24 month trip.

I'm wanting a few opinions as my budget before build out is around 30k.

I have never attempted to head out for more than 6 months and concern about SUV reliability is my issue. I plan on sleepin in SUV as I'm planing on outfitting the roofrack with storage.

My heart is either set on a Land Rover LR4 or 2020 Discovery but honestly, these vehicles will be nothing but problems. I can always fall back on a Toyota 4runner. That's the smart move isn't it.
H Michael,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

24months trip sounds great. In the end only you can decide what is the right vehicle for your needs, but please tell us a bit more about the pllanned trip. Where do you plan to go? That makes it easer to give advices on a rig.

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
H Michael,

Welcome to Overland Bound!

24months trip sounds great. In the end only you can decide what is the right vehicle for your needs, but please tell us a bit more about the pllanned trip. Where do you plan to go? That makes it easer to give advices on a rig.

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern
Thank you for the reply. My last small venture was very novice. I'm not an expert by far. I ended up doing more camping style than extreme off road. I used my jeep Wrangler and regreted the fact that I had zero cabin space if I wanted to sleep inside. My path was from Missouri to northern Arizona and Southern Utah. I'm new to this on your scale but I'm reading and here to learn.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
I'm open ears and doing a LOT of reading. Any other resources you all can provide would be amazing. I'm going to start searching for a vehicle next month. I'm not really a hardcore off road. I probably will not be climbing a vehicle over professional terrain as you all. I'm wanting mountains, altitude, good air as well as scenery. I'm researching as we speak. Have to have large cargo space to sleep in. Not really planing on tenting that much.

Reactions: El-Dracho

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
In our opinion, having an inside space is essential for a two year trip. As Bjoern stated, giving us an idea of where you plan to travel would be helpful. Are you planning to stay in the US or a different continent? Will you be working?

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It is really not easy to make a recommendation about this. Take a look here in the forums, e.g. at the vehicle builds or in the rig Q&As. There you will find some suggestions, I guess. Questions that can guide you in your choice are e.g. how much space do you need, do you camp with a ground tent or do you want to have a roof tent or even sleep in the vehicle, rather something modern or a classic used etc.

In the end, it's also a matter of taste. An example, maybe rational reasons speak for a certain rig and yet you choose better another, why? Quite simple: you must like your rig. I often answer the question about the best overlanding rig by saying that rig what you like, what you enjoy is the best for you. You see what I want to say?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I posted a response on your other post. Not all of us wheel hard, I use my roof top to haul my toys, surfboards, kayak, fishing gear. I don't roll over rocks higher than my knee. You'll do a longer trip than most here, learn from you past experience, I would write the things you liked, the things you didn't, you say you didn't push you Jeep and was small. I would also look what you want to do and go to and get a rig based on that.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
All great feedback. I appreciate it. I'm in the same zone. I plan to NOT roll hard but do want to go to some good hard spots off the path. But this is mostly INSIDE vehicle sleeping with roofrack and I want a custom platform made for a mattress with storage drawers. Maybe a solar panel for my laptop as well.. Put it this way, long camping trip with mild to medium offroad. My biggest issue with the jeep was space! It was horrible to sleep in even with hardtop. I carried air compression to lower tire pressure, fire extinguisher, roof top storage using a thul box and I needed more space!!! I'm not a pack rat and I do travel light. Want to spend most of my time in Colorado heading to Wyoming as well as Montana. I'll start to map it out when j learn more

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
So last month I tested a 2020 discover and a 2016 lr4. Absolute bliss. I love a luxury Suv. The price point with all my add on was in my budget. However, I live in Palm Beach County. Home of the Range Rover that only action they see is taking kids to school. They still seem to have issues doing just that. Roof leaks, electrical problems, timing chain and the list goes on and on. Makes one very reluctant to take this vehicle on a LONG millage trip. I researched and drove a 4runner next. It was like I went from a Bentley to a Buick. Not a lot of power, uncomfortable and to even get 4wheel drive AND a simple sunroof was over budget. But I assume you pay for NOT breaking down on the side of the road. If I went toyota route I would have to buy very high mileage, older years with less feature in trade for reliability I assume and LESS inside space.
I really wish I was a mechanic or new a overlanding member who gave me the confidence to perform self repairs on road and not spend $$$$$ driving to a dealer non stop.

Any feedback would be appreciated to those who have walked this walk before and some insight for light terrain overlanding.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I also answered your other post. A Wrangler is capable of a 24 month trip - we've travelled for months in ours (in Canada) and would have no problem extending this to a couple of years. Our Montero, at home, has been great for a 10 month trip; we previously used an X Trail for an 11 month trip, and a LC80 for a 10 month trip. The Wrangler is a bit smaller than the Montero and the LC80, but about the same as the X Trail. The key is to take no more than you need. When travellling in our Wrangler we have everything inside - no roof rack or anything hanging off the back. WE plan 6 months this year and don't plan any more than last year's 5 months it. In reality, what you need for 2 years is the same as for 2 months, with a few more clothes and an additional blanket for the cold, if planning to be in cold winters anywhere.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
I also answered your other post. A Wrangler is capable of a 24 month trip - we've travelled for months in ours (in Canada) and would have no problem extending this to a couple of years. Our Montero, at home, has been great for a 10 month trip; we previously used an X Trail for an 11 month trip, and a LC80 for a 10 month trip. The Wrangler is a bit smaller than the Montero and the LC80, but about the same as the X Trail. The key is to take no more than you need. When travellling in our Wrangler we have everything inside - no roof rack or anything hanging off the back. WE plan 6 months this year and don't plan any more than last year's 5 months it. In reality, what you need for 2 years is the same as for 2 months, with a few more clothes and an additional blanket for the cold, if planning to be in cold winters anywhere.
Great answer thank u! I travel light but like to sleep inside the truck

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Great answer thank u! I travel light but like to sleep inside the truck
So do we - the Wrangler and the Montero have beds set up inside. The Wrangler bed folds back when not using it and so we have access to the area behind the front seats; the rear sets have been removed, there's enough storage below the bed for everything. Happy to offer more details if it helps.

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
In our opinion, having an inside space is essential for a two year trip. As Bjoern stated, giving us an idea of where you plan to travel would be helpful. Are you planning to stay in the US or a different continent? Will you be working?
Yes, I need solar pannels to work off my laptop. I'm lucky enough to be able to do this. I simply want to go from Florida to Colorado to Wyoming and last montana. 12 months I'm guessing. Roof rack, solar, etc. I car camped in an audi sports car for 3 months once. I figure if I can do that I can do anything. I then did 6 months in a jeep Wrangler but I was freezing with the soft top. Had to sleep in REI zero degrees tent and massive gear.
Yes, I need to Hotspot and bring my laptop

Reactions: Alanymarce

Indigoblue

Rank I

Contributor I

Jupiter, FL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murphy
So do we - the Wrangler and the Montero have beds set up inside. The Wrangler bed folds back when not using it and so we have access to the area behind the front seats; the rear sets have been removed, there's enough storage below the bed for everything. Happy to offer more details if it helps.
I loved my Wrangler but I sold it long ago. I had no idea you could get a bed in the Wrangler. I froze in that jeep.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

LR4s actually seem to be reasonably reliable. If it's what your heart and mind are set on, then don't just rule it out because of the reputation. Get over on the Land Rover forums and solicit real world feedback from owners. Figure out what years and mileage fit in your $30k budget and see what people have actually experienced with similar age/miles. I'd probably be looking at a '10-13 if I was in your shoes, both to fit your budget but also for the simplicity and (maybe) better reliability out of the NA V8 vs. the SC'ed V6s in '13+.

-TJ

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Have you looked at Nissan Xterra's? They do very well off road and might fit your budget.

Reactions: tjZ06

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Have you looked at Nissan Xterra's? They do very well off road and might fit your budget.
I'm biased, and tend to agree. And there's a "hack" to make sleeping in them pretty reasonable:

You just get the right size action packer and pop the bottom of the passenger seat out and you're good to go. That said, it's prob a bit small for longer-term living, but I guess the stock roof rack is another big plus there!

-TJ

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Our last big loop before pulling off the road was from Florida out West and back, about 6.5 months in total. We didn't have to work, I did a little, so we could move around a lot. We started north to KY then went west via KS, NE, SD to WY. We spent a month between Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Glacier was such a zoo we cut our time to just under a week and wandered other parts of MT before entering ID. We then spent time in UT, CO, AZ, NM, and slowed way down in TX. We left just before summer and returned in time for winter. A year will be plenty of time not considering how demanding your job might be. We are in a van so we have a very functional inside space for when the weather sucks or if we need to be super stealth (even though our van is 4x4 and orange most don't realize it's a camper). If you'll be sticking to mostly forest roads and the like, you won't need a fully optioned 4x4. We're sure Starlink has changed things a bit but we didn't need to find the hardest to reach place to get away, we just went to the places that didn't have cellular coverage. Since you will be working it'll be hard to get away due to the requirement of connectivity so we recommend focusing more on everyday usability/comfort over extreme capability unless your job is super flexible.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
X Terras were/are not sold here, however we've had two X Trails, one of which we took around South America for 11 months. Definitely under-rated in my view. Here it is crossing the Paso del Inca at 5030m / 16,503 ft in Bolivia:

IMG_1759.jpg