Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Well the whole no small engines in California thing has trickled down already to the rest of the country, my local news is saying in Dallas they are wanting to ban leafblowers because they are noisy and polluting.

The last post about Cali and generators was shut down because no one agrees on anything and people can't handle talking to someone whith differnt views.
I don't care what's said, that my freinds is how you go about a conversation.
Wait - what?!
The California vs generators post i started was shut down? Who shut it down? Last time I was in there, people were just lamenting this possibility and talking about options.

What the h3ll happened to get it shut down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MazeVX

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

It's not so much the noise, it's the ICE engines they are trying to ban... All electric is OK, battery or plug in , but they don't seem to know the electrical power is by gas power plants and we are already having brown outs now!
Something like 70 to 80% of US electricity is still generated with fossil fuel burning. When I camped at the Colorado Grasslands last May, we arrived in evening and all through the night noticed a line of red, pulsating light all along the horizon in nearly all directions. Come morning we saw those red lights were atop lines of windmills/ turbines.

That's a lot of turbines, and it's still nowhere near enough. In Maine, they just clearcut 500 acres to install one of the biggest solar arrays. Clearcut. 500 acres. And it will be a small portion of energy.

• Sad
Reactions: MazeVX and 9Mike2

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

We would leave this Comiefonia in a heart beat, but all my Doctors are here and other family members. Only my son (US Army) is outside of Ca.
Ha ha. Not that we are much better here in Mass, but I'm always considering a move. There are great doctors in other states, and there are airplanes for visiting. Or make an Overlanding trip for visits.

Reactions: 9Mike2

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I can get behind this... I use to be one of the "lawmakers" in my part of the world, and the vast majority of those who run for office are not in it for the people; they are in it for the power, prestige and their own self interest.

Unfortunately it's the people who vote those people into office...

And it's sad, but true, that the 'city folks' are the ones that are evidently to blame.

On a side note that puts it all back on track.... it's now being reported that the push for electric vehicles and such is causing a massive deforestation of land in parts of the world, just to get some of the material needed for the batteries. Let us not forget the environmental destruction lithium and cobalt mining causes either.

View attachment 217780
If I am not mistaken, lithium is mined one of two ways. Strip mining, or...

Pumping water into the ground until the lithium is pushed up close enough to the surface in batches large enough for collection. Lithium = good. Do the same method for oil and it's called evil fracking

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I can get behind this... I use to be one of the "lawmakers" in my part of the world, and the vast majority of those who run for office are not in it for the people; they are in it for the power, prestige and their own self interest.

And it's sad, but true, that the 'city folks' are the ones that are evidently to blame.

On a side note that puts it all back on track.... it's now being reported that the push for electric vehicles and such is causing a massive deforestation of land in parts of the world, just to get some of the material needed for the batteries. Let us not forget the environmental destruction lithium and cobalt mining causes either.

View attachment 217780
Vermont. Almost

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Correus

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

View attachment 217780
I believe that is the truth for many countries. It's always the city people who have lost sight, sometimes I think that we should split up countries and give the urban folks what they want and we are stepping back in our rural areas keeping our trees instead of taking them down for solar or wind and so on.
Life could be easy...

Reactions: Correus and 9Mike2

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Wait - what?!
The California vs generators post i started was shut down? Who shut it down? Last time I was in there, people were just lamenting this possibility and talking about options.

What the h3ll happened to get it shut down?
People started calling names and politicizing beyond reasonable thinking and it drifted far from the original post, so I shut it down

Jim

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I believe that is the truth for many countries. It's always the city people who have lost sight, sometimes I think that we should split up countries and give the urban folks what they want and we are stepping back in our rural areas keeping our trees instead of taking them down for solar or wind and so on.
Life could be easy...
Testify!

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Not sure if I really understand what you mean but I'll try to give you my best answer in short.
All people in big cities? No, probably 80/20 ratio these 80% have no idea of rural life, infrastructure or how the technology they use really works and they often don't care about. Based on limited knowledge they often make decisions that have little to no effect on their life's but can have huge impact on people living another model.
This together with decision makers who don't care about anything but their own power and money has everything we need for a catastrophe.

Sorry for being political here. I'm not going into that deeper. If I made mistake here please contact me and explain it and I will delete my comments.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

View attachment 217780
The textile mill City of Lowell, Mass used to be part of the farming community of Dracut Mass (Settled 1701). They split during the Industrial Revolution when the farming community realized they no longer had goals in common with that part of town along the river which had become industrial textile mills. Laws and rules just not in common.

They split in 1826. I've seen that map before. They publish one during every presidential and mid term election. Just goes to show how little the city has in common with the rural areas

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Correus

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
7 of the last 8 post HAVE ZERO to do with generator bans. Keep on subject or this thread is done.

Jim

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

7 of the last 8 post HAVE ZERO to do with generator bans. Keep on subject or this thread is done.

Jim
The subject line is not "generator bans." It is about the expansion of regulations in general. Part of that means opinions will be divided, and along what lines, and why, and what could be done about it.

Threads routinely get off track. Is anyone swearing or name calling?

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Not sure if I really understand what you mean but I'll try to give you my best answer in short.
All people in big cities? No, probably 80/20 ratio these 80% have no idea of rural life, infrastructure or how the technology they use really works and they often don't care about. Based on limited knowledge they often make decisions that have little to no effect on their life's but can have huge impact on people living another model.
This together with decision makers who don't care about anything but their own power and money has everything we need for a catastrophe.

Sorry for being political here. I'm not going into that deeper. If I made mistake here please contact me and explain it and I will delete my comments.
I was agreeing with you... it's a term meaning "keep telling the truth".

Here's a really good, simple, basic example of a person who "based on limited knowledge they often make decisions that have little to no effect on their life's but can have huge impact on people living another model".

Our community had a music teacher at the high school that was popular with kids and parents. He commuted here from the big city to the north of here. One day a hose he liked came up for sale, so he bought it and moved. He did not realize that someone within the neighborhood he moved into had a half dozen chickens and a goose. We are a rural town and it wasn't uncommon for people to have these, as well as ducks. A few home owners, with large enough lots, even had larger animals, such as horses, cows, pigs, sheep and so on. When these properties got annexed into the city limits no one cared, those animals had been around for decades.

Anyway... this guy from the city, who chose to move here, got irritated that the rooster and goose like to crow and honk in the mornings and various other times. This really irritated him and he didn't like it. He complained to the owner and the city about it and they let him know that we were a rural community and the animals had been around for decades. At the first chance he got to run for city council he did. Guess what the very first ordinance he muscled through... when he got done EVERY SINGLE "farm type" animal was banned within the city limits. No one fought back and several property owners were forced get rid of their animals, some of which were pets.

That was the only reason he wanted on the council. 30+ years later, after a lot of fighting, people can now have chickens, no more than 6, no roosters and if they have a big enough lot. The chicken yard and coop must be inspected by the police as well.

Here's another... the city has allowed open burning on people's property for generations; every property in town even burned off their yards before Spring and would burn their leaves in the Fall!

We bought a ramshackled house on 1.3 acres that was horribly overgrown. We have gravel parking lots to the north and west of us (football field parking), a vacant field to the east and a street and high school parking to the south. Because of all the growth on our property we would have rather large bonfires. We took all of the precautions everyone else in town were required to take - notify the fire depart that you are going to burn, hoses on hand and other equipment to use in case it got out of hand. It took us over 10 years to deal with the overgrowth and we typically had two bonfires a year. At no time did we have an issue or have one get out of hand. I've lived here my entire life, save 5 years, and have never known of an open burn getting out of hand to the point that it became a threat.

Nowadays we typically have one, modest bonfire in the fall - now we are banned from doing so. About 3 years ago, another "city person" moved to town. Their neighbor had cut down a tree and had it hauled off. The guy raked up the remains and decided to burn them along with other sticks from his yard. The wind came up and the fire started his grass on fire - nothing big, just a slow progression and no flare-ups. The guy got his hose out and extinguished the entire thing. However, the burn got with 10' of the "city person's" chain link fence and freaked them out. They called the police and the fire department. By the time they got there the fire was definitely out and the guy was raking everything into a pile. The neighbor was so freaked out, and wouldn't let it go, that we now have a new city ordinance banning open burns, you MUST use a 3' fire ring. The ring MUST be inspected by the police AND you are supposed to notify them each time you burn yard waste and they are supposed to inspect THAT as well. We are friends with many of tge first responders in town and I have told them this ordinance is a joke. Even pointed out there was nothing in the ordinance stating a person was limited to 1 fire ring; what's to stop me from having 10 or more.

Unfortunately, starting back in the 1980s, people from the bigger cities have been moving into our rural communities - and ruining them. They bring their big city ways, thoughts and ideas and then start demanding that the small, rural towns become mini versions of the big city. They end up getting voted on councils, school boards and other committees and boards - and they start implementing schemes that just about bankrupt the communities. And to make matters worse... these "city people" don't work here, many don't participate in community events,, they just 'live' here.

I know this because I live here. Thanks to those types of people my little town is a shadow of what it use to be.

• Sad
Reactions: MazeVX and 9Mike2

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
The subject line is not "generator bans." It is about the expansion of regulations in general. Part of that means opinions will be divided, and along what lines, and why, and what could be done about it.

Threads routinely get off track. Is anyone swearing or name calling?
"Well the whole no small engines in California thing has trickled down " is the subject.

"Politics" is very limited in threads and will get threads banned.

And yes there was name calling, which I edited out.....

This site is for overlanding, and to a slim degree other subjects that relate to it. Small engine bans in States is one and that is fine, but people do not stick to the subject and stated bashing one political group or another, started talking about subjects and NOT how they pertain to overlanding. We have a ton of other sites for discussing politics and other things, for the most part I try to let a thread stray a little but we all go a bit to far and the thread gets shut down.

This site is for overlanding.

Jim

Reactions: Big Dub
Status
Not open for further replies.