Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

With both Jeeps, the Ram and the offroad trailer pretty much finished and recently selling two other 2 vehicles and my motorcycle, it was time to look for a new winter project. We were toying with doing the Sprinter conversion thing but I can't justify what people are getting for a used Sprinter with 250K and a Sprinter really isn't my style anyway. My wife stumbled across this for sale locally on the internet this morning and we picked it up today REALLY cheap. Plan is a complete camper conversion inside using most of the original cabinetry with a desert tan and black paint scheme for starters. Later possibly a 4x4 conversion. Nothing super radical on this one, we want a dependable long distance cruiser for mild adventures and traveling . Will post updates as we go.

KIMG0956.JPGKIMG0957.JPG

Last edited:

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

We got Unit 621 delivered to the house on rollback. It hadn't run in about 4 years. Did an oil change, charged the battery, put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, fresh gas and it fired right up with a little help from some starting fluid. Did a complete tune-up, the front sparkplugs are alot of fun with a van nose and 460 engine. The brake pedal would go to floor and I found a leaky rear wheel cylinder so it got a rear brake job and diff fluid change. Found that it has a Dana 70 with 4.10 gears and trak lok. Now it runs and drives. We got most of the interior deconstruction done last weekend. Now starts the build out. The nice part is it already has lots of storage and lights both inside and out. The initial plans include:
New flooring
Kitchen in front with stove and sink with instant hot water.
Fold out bed and table arrangement.
12V/110V refrigerator
300 watt solar system
Roof Rack
Custom front bumper

Here's a couple pics of the post interior removal:

Attachments

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

This thing has SSSOOOO much wiring! Lots of it was for equipment that had been removed. They just cut the wires and taped them off. It has been a lot of tracing and removal, luckily the wires are all numbered. We also removed the red lights and associated wiring/controllers. The two last pics are of the wiring and misc. that has been removed so far. I found out the hi/low interior lights are nothing more than 1157 taillight bulbs. They along with the cargo box lights have been changed to LED.

KIMG1007.JPGKIMG1012.JPGKIMG1008.JPGKIMG1013 (2).JPGKIMG1045 (2).JPG

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Catching up on the updates:

Here's how it looks with no red emergency lights. Found a big Wilderness van roof rack on Craigslist that will fit perfectly if I turn it sideways. I can use it to attach the solar panel rails to. Vinyl flooring is installed and beginning on the molding, galley cabinets and counter.

Attachments

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Just posting some updates from the long New Years weekend. Most of the disassembly is complete and things are starting to go back together.

The galley is cabinet and countertop are cut and fitted. Fridge and microwave are mocked up. The Propex heater arrived and has been mounted. This weekend will be finishing the heater cabinet, wiring and plumbing gas for the heater and stove. Possibly some work on the back splash and galley lighting.

8173 (1).jpegKIMG1051.JPGKIMG1066.JPGKIMG1064.JPG

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Started on electrical this weekend but had to take a break, it's 20 degrees and snowing. The area that used to house the heater/AC unit that ran off the engine will now be an electronics cabinet to hold the 2000W inverter, MPPT for the 300 watt solar panels and DC to DC charger.

KIMG1102.JPG

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Haven't posted any updates for a while. I get busy and don't take many pictures of the progress. Been working on a lot of little odds and ends that needed finished up. The latest big project was reconfiguring the side bench to accommodate the bed/bench and stow away table. The bench seat is on a piano hinge and when flipped over the backrest becomes the bed legs.

KIMG1369.JPGKIMG1371.JPG

The storage area underneath the bench was originally for an oxygen tank and has a locking outside small rear access door that was for loading the tank and clear plexiglass hatch in front to access the valve. Dividers were install to turn these into separate compartments that can be accessed with having to lift the large inside bench top. The front for shoes and dog dishes and the rear for tools. The center section will be used to store bedding and the table when not in use.

4 30 table 3.JPG

5 4 7 (2).JPG

Last edited:

PandaMonium 428

Rank IV

Traveler III

Carl Junction, Jasper County, Missouri, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
O’Connell
Project looks great. Only problem in the ambulances was head room if you’re a little taller. I’m 5’10” so i never had a problem unless i had a helmet on or something weird. Glad you have it and will take care of it. Ambulances get abused so bad i’m surprised there are any left that are this old lol

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Also got some outside mods done.

I bought a used van roof rack off of Farcebook Marketplace. It was the correct width turned sidewise and a good base to work off of to build the front supports for mounting the three 100 watt solar panels. The extended rails on the passenger side are where the ARB awning will mount. Now that it's built. I have to disassembled it and get it back off the roof for powdercoating.

KIMG1373.JPGKIMG1374.JPG

The big rear chrome spot lights were replaced with LED's. These can be switched on, come on with the backup lights or when you open the rear doors. I added a switch at the rear so they can be shut off when the doors are open. The middle clearance light was replaced with a small wireless rear camera.

KIMG1372.JPG

At the side door, we added a motion sensor porch light. This is also switched so that it can be shut off for the times that you want to enjoy the stars.

KIMG1375.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: PandaMonium 428

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Project looks great. Only problem in the ambulances was head room if you’re a little taller. I’m 5’10” so i never had a problem unless i had a helmet on or something weird. Glad you have it and will take care of it. Ambulances get abused so bad i’m surprised there are any left that are this old lol
Thanks. You're right, it's little cramped on head room but I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'2" so she has no problem. But then again, we don't plan to send that much time inside. Luckily this old beast served a small Oregon town and was well maintained until 2010 and then as a storage unit for RV sales materials at a local dealership. Only has 99K miles and runs really good.

Reactions: PandaMonium 428

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Damn you found a gem. Love those old shaped ones. We used ours like they were stolen most of the time. 100k a year. I always thought they would be a cool camper and then i remember what happens inside and figured i wouldn’t
LOL, Yeah we stripped the flooring, sealed it with KILZ and have used about 5 gallons of bleach cleaning. At least it had been setting about 10 years since it was used as an ambulance.

Ed1774

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
O
Member #

Nice build. When I started my career on the FD we had an ambulance just like your in reserve status. Same wood grain interior and all. It was so 1980's. The 460 gasser drank gas like it was going out of style.

Rest assured though we clean them up thoroughly after a P.P.B.S call. Besides the actual stretcher I'd say the floor gets the most bodily fluids on it. You folks go into much nastier places everyday and don't give it a second though.