Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

@RedRyder
I've carried a fire extinguisher in my ride since I was a kid. A guy that I knew as a teen had his VW Bus go up in flames on him. I heard the stroy and been carrying one ever since. I've used them twice. Both times to help someone else. Much like jumper cables, a winch, and other first responder gear: You never want to use em but if you have them when needed you'll feel awesome for being prepared.

Boort
I mean, I certainly get being prepared. But, like I said, most of us will go our entire lives without even knowing somebody who had a car catch fire without having significant tinkering (in which case, yes, a fire extinguisher is very important). I have seen two cars catch on fire as well--one was a fuel rail leak after a full longblock rebuild, and the other was an electrical fire after the owner botched a battery relocation and sub install.

I guess all I am saying is that while a fire extinguisher is indeed great to have when you need it--again, I carry two myself--I don't necessarily agree that it is an absolute priority in order to still have safe and fun offroading / overlanding experiences. If all I had was a stock pickup and $200 to last my next two or three outings, for example, a fire extinguisher wouldnt make the cut.

Just the same, I carry a pistol and 44 rounds of ammo everywhere I go (and a .308 pistol under the seat >:D ), and can easily justify this to myself,l. But, I certainly wouldn't say having a firearm should be a priority for most folks.

I can say the same about the basic camping gear, survival gear, and water I also keep on my person or in my vehicle at all times :) . Other than getting stuck in blizzards overnight, I have never met someone who had to unexpectedly rely on their vehicles for survival. Still, I am ready for it, though I wouldnt say it is a priority for taking a road trip!

Reactions: RedRyder

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I see that alot of people have been mentioning hardware - has noone really thought about training,

It's all nice having the toys but do you really know how to use it safely + certain things like Winches ect (in UK anyway) for certain aspects need to have adequate training (like Lantra) to use the winch in a recovery scenario (also for insurance purposes) not just for self recovery but recovery of others

Similarly with First aid - we know the usual (plasters, splinters, twisted ankles), but the more serious stuff when out in the wilderness, do you really know how to do certain things like full on CPR and splinting breaks ect
How about allergies and how to deal with the more severe ones (i guess you guys in USA are taught more about snake bits then us over the pond)

But Training and knowledge always outweighs the hardware - if hardware fails what do you then fall back onto :grinning: - having hardware is the "easy way" lol

Sorry to sound drab about it but it is often something people tend to forget :sunglasses:
I think this is a REALLY good point. Education can be more important than gear for sure. I haven't had any formal off-road driving training, but have always gone with guys that have a ton of experience and are willing to share it. I've done 3 or 4 wilderness First Aid classes and found that all of them were very helpful and taught something new.

With recovery gear, training is a really good idea. I have some gear (straps, shackles, etc.) but have no clue how to use them or to use them safely. (Which is why I go with people who know what they're doing)

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I think this is a REALLY good point. Education can be more important than gear for sure. I haven't had any formal off-road driving training, but have always gone with guys that have a ton of experience and are willing to share it. I've done 3 or 4 wilderness First Aid classes and found that all of them were very helpful and taught something new.

With recovery gear, training is a really good idea. I have some gear (straps, shackles, etc.) but have no clue how to use them or to use them safely. (Which is why I go with people who know what they're doing)
Yep - finding some local training is always a good idea, like you said with recovery gear its a little more tricky as if you load something wrong and put tension on it, if it goes "pete tong" it could do some serious damage (and to people with winches ect)

But certainly working with others who have done it a while will give you some safety tips,

It really depends on the kind of person you are and also how often you are going to be going out :)

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
I see that alot of people have been mentioning hardware - has noone really thought about training
You bring up a great point. Nothing in the US (not in Idaho at least) requires training for insurance purposes but it's certainly should be pursued in order to get things done in a safe manner. Great addition to the topic. Thank you!

Reactions: Kevigizmo

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

You bring up a great point. Nothing in the US (not in Idaho at least) requires training for insurance purposes but it's certainly should be pursued in order to get things done in a safe manner. Great addition to the topic. Thank you!
No problem - i had a good read through and it just came to me that noone really mentioned it - im sure some people think about it may not have given it a second thought :)

I have opened a proper thread for it in bootcamp - contribute an article - so not to completely hijack this particular thread :laughing:

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
@RedRyder
I've carried a fire extinguisher in my ride since I was a kid. A guy that I knew as a teen had his VW Bus go up in flames on him. I heard the stroy and been carrying one ever since. I've used them twice. Both times to help someone else. Much like jumper cables, a winch, and other first responder gear: You never want to use em but if you have them when needed you'll feel awesome for being prepared.

Boort
Agreed. In my travels I've seen a few vehicles on fire myself. One of them was a brand new mercedes on the side of the road with the driver, a woman in business attire, standing 20 feet away with a look of disbelief on her face. She had no idea how the car caught fire while just driving down the road. The reality is anything man made can fail, sometimes catastrophically. I carry a fire extinguisher for the same reason you mentioned. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Reactions: Kevigizmo

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I mean, I certainly get being prepared. But, like I said, most of us will go our entire lives without even knowing somebody who had a car catch fire without having significant tinkering (in which case, yes, a fire extinguisher is very important). I have seen two cars catch on fire as well--one was a fuel rail leak after a full longblock rebuild, and the other was an electrical fire after the owner botched a battery relocation and sub install.

I guess all I am saying is that while a fire extinguisher is indeed great to have when you need it--again, I carry two myself--I don't necessarily agree that it is an absolute priority in order to still have safe and fun offroading / overlanding experiences. If all I had was a stock pickup and $200 to last my next two or three outings, for example, a fire extinguisher wouldnt make the cut.

Just the same, I carry a pistol and 44 rounds of ammo everywhere I go (and a .308 pistol under the seat >:D ), and can easily justify this to myself,l. But, I certainly wouldn't say having a firearm should be a priority for most folks.
@Lindenwood
No disagreement here. Not my initially first thought for a road trip either, but being there It's been used.

I also understand the .308. I was once in a position once where a man is alive today only because I was not driving my car.

Regarding camping gear, food and water, a year or so ago, my girlfriends folks gut stuck in the snow on a little used road. Without any of the above, no cell service, a health condition requiring oxygen and was running out of O2 bottles. They resigned themselves to dieing in that car that night. Lucky for them a kid in a beatup truck went out to play in the snow that night and had the equipment and knowledge to pull them out and get them back to safety. For Xmas we gave them a basic recovery kit, first aid kit, and cheatsheet for various situations for each of their cars. (This reminds me I should check on the Exp dates of those kits next time I'm over there make sure the supplies are still good.)

@RedRyder
That was about the same for me but lady was about to open the hood with a small engine fire going underneath. I stopped her got her to back away and was able to put it out via the wheel well and air dam. Likely an electrical issue but hoses had started gumming and dripping fire when I got there. Had she opened the hood the file would have gotten fresh air and likely got out of hand very quickly.

Boort

canadianoverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
First Name
Marcus
Last Name
and Laurie
Member #

First Aid kit, CB or short wave, Gen3 Spot(its in your budget with a 1 year subscription for emergencies plus Cabellas has a mail in rebate on these right now), recovery gear( like tow straps, a Hi-Lift jack, shovel etc), Lugaloo with TP (this is a critical piece of comfort when off road and you don't want to be a savage), Air compressor, tire puncture repair kit, bug juice, water jerry can, and a get home bag (see the thread on bugout bags and who carries them for ideas).....keep it simple. Don't go too cheap, do your research and ask questions like you are doing on here. Get the best quality you can afford. We are in the same boat, we just bought a new Tacoma 3 days ago, don't get build envy :)
Good luck dude and have fun building.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: YETI X and Boort