Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
So I have my "new" 2006 Tacoma DCLB and have been debating what my priorities should be as far as building a decent overland rig. I don't have the money for a lift and bigger tires right now so I'm trying to decide what the next highest priority would be. What additions, mods, or equipment have you all put in your rig that cost about $200 or less that you feel are absolute necessities?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I do have two small fire extinguishers in my rig right now, but I am curious; how often do rigs actually catch on fire? Most of us don't really mess with engines at all, let alone fuel systems, so fire is really a pretty small risk. I honestly keep mine more for the potential for out-of-control campfires than anything.

Also, duct tape, gauze, neosporin, and maybe some niceties like camp soap, ibuprofin, and anti-itch creme are really all an average person needs for a first-aid kit.

So, we are like $40 in so far....

I would concur with basic recovery gear, though, but that would also depend on whether he intends to travel alone or always in a group. A set of traction mats might be a decent idea.

Maybe an air pump so you can air down your tires if / when required?

Reactions: RedRyder

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
I do have two small fire extinguishers in my rig right now, but I am curious; how often do rigs actually catch on fire? Most of us don't really mess with engines at all, let alone fuel systems, so fire is really a pretty small risk. I honestly keep mine more for the potential for out-of-control campfires than anything.

Also, duct tape, gauze, neosporin, and maybe some niceties like camp soap, ibuprofin, and anti-itch creme are really all an average person needs for a first-aid kit.

So, we are like $40 in so far....

I would concur with basic recovery gear, though, but that would also depend on whether he intends to travel alone or always in a group. A set of traction mats might be a decent idea.

Maybe an air pump so you can air down your tires if / when required?
I've seen small fires started by hot mufflers in dry grass so there's another good reason to carry an extinguisher.

I like the idea of carrying niceties. I typically bring those when I load up for camping or hunting but having some of them in the truck full time isn't a bad idea. Better to have it and not need it...

I do plan to travel alone at times so having the recovery gear is a good idea. Especially since terrain in the mountains can get a little messy with all the snow and rain we have here. The air pump is going to be a must. Good suggestion there.

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Also just thought to tack on to what @Lindenwood said, You got first aid supplies? lotsa great options there

I bring a kit for myself and a kit with feminine hygiene stuff for my daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I have a couple first aid kits plus a med kit with more "advanced" medical supplies like a nasopharyngeal tube, tourniquet, etc. The feminine hygiene stuff is a good idea though. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RedRyder

Rank VI

Influencer I

Rathdrum, ID
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Bendel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6MFB
Service Branch
CA State Guard
Snatch straps
A shovel
First aid kit
Some buddies that already spent the money on the expensive stuff.
LOL. Nice. I have the first three. Number four I'm hoping to take care of by being a member of OB. :)

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I see that alot of people have been mentioning hardware - has noone really thought about training,

It's all nice having the toys but do you really know how to use it safely + certain things like Winches ect (in UK anyway) for certain aspects need to have adequate training (like Lantra) to use the winch in a recovery scenario (also for insurance purposes) not just for self recovery but recovery of others

Similarly with First aid - we know the usual (plasters, splinters, twisted ankles), but the more serious stuff when out in the wilderness, do you really know how to do certain things like full on CPR and splinting breaks ect
How about allergies and how to deal with the more severe ones (i guess you guys in USA are taught more about snake bits then us over the pond)

But Training and knowledge always outweighs the hardware - if hardware fails what do you then fall back onto :grinning: - having hardware is the "easy way" lol

Sorry to sound drab about it but it is often something people tend to forget :sunglasses:

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@RedRyder
I've carried a fire extinguisher in my ride since I was a kid. A guy that I knew as a teen had his VW Bus go up in flames on him. I heard the stroy and been carrying one ever since. I've used them twice. Both times to help someone else. Much like jumper cables, a winch, and other first responder gear: You never want to use em but if you have them when needed you'll feel awesome for being prepared.

Boort

Reactions: RedRyder