Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Probably for the kind offroading you do out West but not a problem here for most places in the Southeast! My F-150 with the twin turbo Ecoboost V-6 would pull it easily on most solid offroad areas. I'd still have my utility trailer I'm going to adapt for my RTT that could go on the more remote offroad locations!

Reactions: eagle_A40

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Probably for the kind offroading you do out West but not a problem here for most places in the Southeast! My F-150 with the twin turbo Ecoboost V-6 would pull it easily on most solid offroad areas. I'd still have my utility trailer I'm going to adapt for my RTT that could go on the more remote offroad locations!
Then might as well just get a normal RV pull trailer for alot less $.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Nice, I looked at one and immediately discounted it for the following reasons (not necessarily in order:
Weight 5k dry
Interior height 6'7", I'm 6`6
Bunk beds
Price

Contributor I

I love that we're finally starting to get proper African/Australian style camper trailers here in the North America, hardened for use on rough terrain. Unlike run-of-the-mill particleboard and papier-mâché trailers, these things won't shake themselves to pieces after their first ride down a washboarded road. The Opus OP15 is a nice size for a half-ton truck, but it weighs 1,500lbs more than a Wrangler Unlimited is rated to tow, and even midsize pickups would be worked to their limits to lug a trailer like this around off-road.

Designing a trailer that's heavy-duty enough to be taken off asphalt results in a much heavier (and more expensive) trailer. That's why the off-road tent trailer options like Opus' own OP2 and OP4 are the best option for size and weight that can still be towed behind the most common trail rigs. We need to see more off-road-intended trailers on the market!

NewTxJL

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Southlake, TX, USA
First Name
Karan
Last Name
Narang
Member #

I love that we're finally starting to get proper African/Australian style camper trailers here in the North America, hardened for use on rough terrain. Unlike run-of-the-mill particleboard and papier-mâché trailers, these things won't shake themselves to pieces after their first ride down a washboarded road. The Opus OP15 is a nice size for a half-ton truck, but it weighs 1,500lbs more than a Wrangler Unlimited is rated to tow, and even midsize pickups would be worked to their limits to lug a trailer like this around off-road.

Designing a trailer that's heavy-duty enough to be taken off asphalt results in a much heavier (and more expensive) trailer. That's why the off-road tent trailer options like Opus' own OP2 and OP4 are the best option for size and weight that can still be towed behind the most common trail rigs. We need to see more off-road-intended trailers on the market!
Exactly the reason I got the OP4. Great for a family with 3 kids and dog + close to the two rating of the JLUR. I looked at a lot of other domestic options and felt they were overpriced for the quality. The Opus is rock solid. We’ll be going on our maiden voyage next weekend and will how it performs.

Contributor I

Exactly the reason I got the OP4. Great for a family with 3 kids and dog + close to the two rating of the JLUR. I looked at a lot of other domestic options and felt they were overpriced for the quality. The Opus is rock solid. We’ll be going on our maiden voyage next weekend and will how it performs.
I'm really looking forward to reading your report of your experiences with it! I've been looking at the OP2 to tow behind my JKUR for quite some time, but my current highly-modified Lifetime Tent Trailer continues to serve me so well! It doesn't have the features and convenience of the Opus Air trailers, but it's so tall and so light that I can drag it through any trail shy of the Rubicon. Please update us as you get some quality time with your new OP4!!!

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

My biggest hang up with the OP15 is that even though it is an enclosed hard top trailer, you can't get to the kitchen or the fridge from the inside. You MUST open the kitchen from the outside only. For weekend/week trips in nice weather that is fine. But if the weather turns bad you are limited to cooking outside in the rain/cold. Even with an awning (Extra cost) you are still out in it. For that much money I would like to see some way to get to the fridge, stove and sink from the inside.

Reactions: Steve in Roanoke VA

Contributor I

My biggest hang up with the OP15 is that even though it is an enclosed hard top trailer, you can't get to the kitchen or the fridge from the inside. You MUST open the kitchen from the outside only. For weekend/week trips in nice weather that is fine. But if the weather turns bad you are limited to cooking outside in the rain/cold. Even with an awning (Extra cost) you are still out in it. For that much money I would like to see some way to get to the fridge, stove and sink from the inside.
This is why most campers have interior kitchens, but I have always preferred doing my cooking outside where the oily fumes and smells and grease splatters don't wind up making the camper and bedding and clothes all smell like food. Bacon, garlic, and onions all smell terrific, but I prefer to cook them outside and let the interior space of the camper be maximized. Perhaps Opus will eventually make an even bigger model or an alternative floorplan OP15 that has an internal kitchen as you'd prefer.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Looking at the weight more and then there's the price I started looking around more to see what was out there and stumbled on the No Boundaries brand of trailers. I don't want anything too heavy and huge and the NOBO 10.6 looks about perfect. Built to go off road but a lot lighter than the Opus. I like the fact I can put my RTT on top of it too!

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Looking at the weight more and then there's the price I started looking around more to see what was out there and stumbled on the No Boundaries brand of trailers. I don't want anything too heavy and huge and the NOBO 10.6 looks about perfect. Built to go off road but a lot lighter than the Opus. I like the fact I can put my RTT on top of it too!

It is just a normal RV made to look like it's for off road. It would fall apart for sure! I did my research!

Reactions: Winterpeg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
It is just a normal RV made to look like it's for off road. It would fall apart for sure! I did my research!
So what would you recommend? I'm just looking for an off road trailer that sleeps 2, has an outdoor kitchen and the ability to put my current RTT on top. I'm not talking going down rough mountain trails, I live in the Southeast so I just want something that can get to remote areas on dirt and gravel roads that won't break the bank!

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

So what would you recommend? I'm just looking for an off road trailer that sleeps 2, has an outdoor kitchen and the ability to put my current RTT on top. I'm not talking going down rough mountain trails, I live in the Southeast so I just want something that can get to remote areas on dirt and gravel roads that won't break the bank!
The NOBO may get you through flat dirt roads for a wile. keep it off any washboard roads it will rattle apart. just don't like regular RV construction. You don't get what you pay for! I have a friend who has an R pod type trailer and has done some amazing runs with it. but I don't know how long its going to last. Any thing made to last on dirt roads is going to be hi $$$$$. I'm in the market myself been looking for a little over a year know. Lots of tough stuff out there but hi $$$$. I don't mind paying the hi price as long as it is going to be capable! I'm probably going to pull the trigger next year at OB Expo west. But we will see. Actually almost purchased the NOBO in the beginning of my search. then I started asking questions about them crawling under and looking at them its just a regular RV. Also found a lot of complaints on line. People wished they had got something different. just do your do diligence! Good luck!!!

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
The NOBO may get you through flat dirt roads for a wile. keep it off any washboard roads it will rattle apart. just don't like regular RV construction. You don't get what you pay for! I have a friend who has an R pod type trailer and has done some amazing runs with it. but I don't know how long its going to last. Any thing made to last on dirt roads is going to be hi $$$$$. I'm in the market myself been looking for a little over a year know. Lots of tough stuff out there but hi $$$$. I don't mind paying the hi price as long as it is going to be capable! I'm probably going to pull the trigger next year at OB Expo west. But we will see. Actually almost purchased the NOBO in the beginning of my search. then I started asking questions about them crawling under and looking at them its just a regular RV. Also found a lot of complaints on line. People wished they had got something different. just do your do diligence! Good luck!!!
Thanks, I appreciate the honest input. It shouldn't take so much to build a worthy 10' - 15' off road trailer that can sleep 2+ and have an outdoor kitchen and make it semi affordable. My gripe is they shouldn't cost twice as much which it seems they do. I'm not ready to buy yet so I will continue to research. I really wish they would schedule an Expo East in the Southeast like Atlanta or Birmingham so I could attend and get a good look at what all there is out there to offer. I don't think they realize how many people in the country they leave out when they only schedule two a year, one in the East and one in the West. Why not schedule 5, one in the Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast and Midwest.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Agreed.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I"m leaning towards these right now....

(In order of preference at the moment)

All very nice!

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Thanks, I appreciate the honest input. It shouldn't take so much to build a worthy 10' - 15' off road trailer that can sleep 2+ and have an outdoor kitchen and make it semi affordable. My gripe is they shouldn't cost twice as much which it seems they do. I'm not ready to buy yet so I will continue to research. I really wish they would schedule an Expo East in the Southeast like Atlanta or Birmingham so I could attend and get a good look at what all there is out there to offer. I don't think they realize how many people in the country they leave out when they only schedule two a year, one in the East and one in the West. Why not schedule 5, one in the Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast and Midwest.
It's like the going to buy other any mass produced off the shelf production line product which is built utilizing volume to leverage material costs and a marginalized population providing labor under" closely" monitored conditions, and then comparing price to a hand built small scale product from a boutique.

Not even the same thing by any measure.

I will say that if you have access to a modern sheet metal shop, and possess some skills you can probably build one that is 90% of the quality but less than half price assuming you don't value your time in the equation.

I like the trailing arm suspension the Aussies are using much better then the Timbren or other torsion axles, but that is a personal opinion founded in conjecture. Beyond suspension, the galvanized frames are hot shit, but once you get above the chassis there isn't anything extra innovative in any of them. Craftsmanship for sure, but not so much innovation.

Glue and staple "RV" like the NoBo? Not for me thanks, I can see them deteriorating at an exponential rate with even mild off road use. As soon as they get softened up, water penetration is going to come into play immediately and the whole rig will be roached in short order.