New OB Family - #8280

• HTML tutorial

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

Hello all! New forum member, new OB member family. To make a very long story short(ish), my wife and two kids (5yo girl, 19mo boy) are planning to sell our house, all it's contents, and explore the country while she does travel nursing. We did some travel nursing in Socal before we got married and had kids, both of us had a blast.

We're now going to do it again, this time with the kids. We want to explore and show them the country in the process. I'm from KY and my wife (and kids) are born and raised Floridians. That said, we both have an affinity for the mountains and wide open west, so that's where we're heading back to (We tent camped Grand Canyon in October probably seven years ago, 26 degrees at night - lol). She's looking for assignments now, but we're shooting for TX, AZ, or NM first. She's working on reinstating her CA nursing license as well.

The original plan was to buy a 1-ton F-350 dually and a 5th wheel and hit as many National and State parks as possible in the process. But one of our biggest goals since buying this house and all the "stuff" in it, is to be out of consumer debt as soon as possible. So, I searched for alternative ways to adventure and explore "cheaper " (lol) than a new truck/5th wheel, and I came across "overlanding" on YT, and ultimately the OB channel. That was about three weeks ago. We've since fell in love with the idea of overlanding, and committed to it not only by becoming OB members, but we've since purchased a 2018 TRD 4Runner (had to replace my car coming off lease) as step one of our adventure. House is getting purged as we speak, and will go on the market as soon as we have our first travel nursing assignment. We look forward to the adventure and uncertainty of where we'll end up every few months, as well as attending OB events and meeting as many OB members as possible along the way.

Thanks for having us!!!

The new ride in Ocala National Forest...

What most of the area forest roads look like...

The stoked kids...

Last edited:

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello all! New forum member, new OB member family. To make a very long story short(ish), my wife and two kids (5yo girl, 19mo boy) are planning to sell our house, all it's contents, and explore the country while she does travel nursing. We did some travel nursing in Socal before we got married and had kids, both of us had a blast.

We're now going to do it again, this time with the kids. We want to explore and show them the country in the process. I'm from KY and my wife (and kids) are born and raised Floridians. That said, we both have an affinity for the mountains and wide open west, so that's where we're heading back to (We tent camped Grand Canyon in October probably seven years ago, 26 degrees at night - lol). She's looking for assignments now, but we're shooting for TX, AZ, or NM first. She's working on reinstating her CA nursing license as well.

The original plan was to buy a 1-ton F-350 dually and a 5th wheel and hit as many National and State parks as possible in the process. But one of our biggest goals since buying this house and all the "stuff" in it, is to be out of consumer debt as soon as possible. So, I searched for alternative ways to adventure and explore "cheaper " (lol) than a new truck/5th wheel, and I came across "overlanding" on YT, and ultimately the OB channel. That was about three weeks ago. We've since fell in love with the idea of overlanding, and committed to it not only by becoming OB members, but we've since purchased a 2018 TRD 4Runner (had to replace my car coming off lease) as step one of our adventure. House is getting purged as we speak, and will go on the market as soon as we have our first travel nursing assignment. We look forward to the adventure and uncertainty of where we'll end up every few months, as well as meeting as many OB members as possible along the way.

We've only cruised around the local Ocala National Forest in the meantime, and the wife/kids had a blast on the rougher portions of rutted out forest roads. I've done quite a bit of wheeling back in the late 90's with two TJ's, one fully decked out (including ARB's front/rear). Rolled it on an obstacle in WA called "tip-over challenge", I was knocked out, and the engine seized. Combined with frame/body damage, it was totaled. That was the last time I went four-wheeling, so I've got a lot to learn/re-learn.

We have plenty of camping gear, so short-term plan is to take a trip in November, just the wife and I, before we leave FL. So, I'm getting rid of the Dueler H/T tires and putting on something a little more appropriate in the meantime, 275/70 KO2's (Monday). We want to get out and explore, then use that to decide what modifications we need. Rock sliders, underbelly protection, and a roof rack (need the cargo space) are where we plan to start. Given we're a family of four, two still in car seats, we're probably going to need some additional storage, so we're entertaining the idea of a trailer. I'm sure a few family trips will start to tell the tale of wants vs needs.

Anyways, thanks for having us, and we look forward to hitting as many OB events and meeting as many OB members as we can. Thanks for having us!!!

The stoked kids...
Hi Craig and welcome to OB! Nice looking 4Runner! Safe travels and enjoy those open roads!

Reactions: ob4838 and craigR

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

The original plan was to buy a 1-ton F-350 dually and a 5th wheel and hit as many National and State parks as possible in the process. But one of our biggest goals since buying this house and all the "stuff" in it, is to be out of consumer debt as soon as possible. So, I searched for alternative ways to adventure and explore "cheaper " (lol) than a new truck/5th wheel, and I came across "overlanding" on YT, and ultimately the OB channel. That was about three weeks ago. We've since fell in love with the idea of overlanding, and committed to it not only by becoming OB members, but we've since purchased a 2018 TRD 4Runner (had to replace my car coming off lease) as step one of our adventure. House is getting purged as we speak, and will go on the market as soon as we have our first travel nursing assignment. We look forward to the adventure and uncertainty of where we'll end up every few months, as well as meeting as many OB members as possible along the way.

We've only cruised around the local Ocala National Forest in the meantime, and the wife/kids had a blast on the rougher portions of rutted out forest roads. I've done quite a bit of wheeling back in the late 90's with two TJ's, one fully decked out (including ARB's front/rear). Rolled it on an obstacle in WA called "tip-over challenge", I was knocked out, and the engine seized. Combined with frame/body damage, it was totaled. That was the last time I went four-wheeling, so I've got a lot to learn/re-learn.

We have plenty of camping gear, so short-term plan is to take a trip in November, just the wife and I, before we leave FL. So, I'm getting rid of the Dueler H/T tires and putting on something a little more appropriate in the meantime, 275/70 KO2's (Monday). We want to get out and explore, then use that to decide what modifications we need. Rock sliders, underbelly protection, and a roof rack (need the cargo space) are where we plan to start. Given we're a family of four, two still in car seats, we're probably going to need some additional storage, so we're entertaining the idea of a trailer. I'm sure a few family trips will start to tell the tale of wants vs needs.

Anyways, thanks for having us, and we look forward to hitting as many OB events and meeting as many OB members as we can. Thanks for having us!!!

The stoked kids...
Hello Craig and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Toy..looking forward to seeing your adventures

Reactions: craigR

craigR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mt Dora, FL
Member #

Lovely ride! White looks cool on a 4runner, but the cleaning! haha.
Thank you, Ron!! Surprisingly, it's hiding dirt better than I thought it would. I'll find some more dirt after the tire swap on Monday. haha

Hello Craig and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Toy..looking forward to seeing your adventures
Thank you, Chad!! Definitely looking forward to sharing. Walla Walla is beautiful country, hope to get by there again soon.

Reactions: Chadlyb