Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

I am planning on purchasing a new device to navigate with along with my car GPS/Car Play. I leaning towards an iPad over an Android device due to familiarity. I did not know if I should go with a pro model with the largest screen size possible. My thought process with a large screen is it will be easier to see map details and to reroute on the device. Also going with the pro has a better chip for faster speeds but I did not know if that would matter since I have no experience using any navigation on a new iPad model. I have been playing with an older iPad connected to WIFI and I find it laggy with using Gaia. My current iPad does not have a GPS chip and only has 64GB of total space which is not much for downloading and saving map data locally. For map downloads, I feel 256-512GB should be plenty of space but maybe not? I have plans on getting a BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool which is supported on the IOS.

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I prefer android devices but i think an ipad in the 8" plus screen size will be ideal, i have been using an old Nexus 7" before i upgraded to an android car head unit and now looking at an 8" samsung galaxy tab for mapping.

mouellette012

Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

I prefer android devices but i think an ipad in the 8" plus screen size will be ideal, i have been using an old Nexus 7" before i upgraded to an android car head unit and now looking at an 8" samsung galaxy tab for mapping.
Do you download maps to have offline? How much memory do you have? Thanks!

Shawn686

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Canada
Future proof yourself if you can swing it. The better the specs you buy the longer the device will be useful and able to run apps and programs that will come out in the future. I can almost guarantee you have never said to yourself, "damn I wish this device was slower or had less storage". Not to mention you can use it for other things than nav

Shawn

mansoorahmed

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Halton County, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mansoor
Last Name
Ahmed
Member #

I am planning on purchasing a new device to navigate with along with my car GPS/Car Play. I leaning towards an iPad over an Android device due to familiarity. I did not know if I should go with a pro model with the largest screen size possible. My thought process with a large screen is it will be easier to see map details and to reroute on the device. Also going with the pro has a better chip for faster speeds but I did not know if that would matter since I have no experience using any navigation on a new iPad model. I have been playing with an older iPad connected to WIFI and I find it laggy with using Gaia. My current iPad does not have a GPS chip and only has 64GB of total space which is not much for downloading and saving map data locally. For map downloads, I feel 256-512GB should be plenty of space but maybe not? I have plans on getting a BlueDriver Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool which is supported on the IOS.
Here is my setup.
iPad Mini2- 64GB 7.9" screen (GSM version) with GAIA GPS maps. Only iPad GSM model has the GPS chip, WIFI models does not. You could connect an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to WiFi model but not worth the hassle. My iPad mini is now old enough that it won't update beyond IOS 12.5, which also restricts GAIA GPS and few other camping/overlanding apps from upgrading as well. So I am in the market for a new iPad as well :)

Since iPad storage and CPU can't be ungraded later, I'd buy an iPad with largest internal storage and the most powerful CPU possible. One advantage of iPad Pro is that you can run Final Cut Pro and many other video editing apps on a large screen and you don't have to hauling a laptop around for video editing.

Sturdy mount for the iPad model is a must. Mine dropped few times because the suction cups were not strong enough. After moving to RAM Mount that attaches to grab handle, I've not had any issues.

I have paid version of GAIA, which gives me additional layers and few other features. For planning routes I use GAIA web based interface on 32" screen :) Once I am done and saved my routes, I sync all my devices and I am ready to go. Offline map files are not that big. All my offline map data, 5-6 tiles 200 sq miles each, is about 2GB.

GAIA GPS also integrates with Apple CarPlay. However it is mostly a 'view only' mode, you can't change anything from car's LCD screen. I use it on shorter trips or when I don't feel like setting up the iPad.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

I am pleased with the use of a dash-mounted iPad mini 6 (wifi+cellular) with the Gaiagps app. I use a small vehicle (1997 4Runner) so I figured that the full size iPad would be too unwieldy for the small available area on the dash. The size of the mini 6 means you might be doing a bit of zooming as you examine the maps, but not nearly as much a using Gaia on a much smaller smartphone-size screen.

Reactions: mouellette012

mouellette012

Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

Future proof yourself if you can swing it. The better the specs you buy the longer the device will be useful and able to run apps and programs that will come out in the future. I can almost guarantee you have never said to yourself, "damn I wish this device was slower or had less storage". Not to mention you can use it for other things than nav

Shawn
I was thinking along these lines too best CPU, 12inch screen but memory is unclear. I do not want to end up paying Apple for the extra memory and not use much of it. I think right now you can go to 2TB but that is a big cost. If I can get by with 512GB then that would be a big cost savings. But from what I am hearing if I can afford that memory, 1 - 2 TB, then pay for it.

Reactions: Toro

mouellette012

Rank III

Traveler III

Westford, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ouellette
Member #

Here is my setup.
iPad Mini2- 64GB 7.9" screen (GSM version) with GAIA GPS maps. Only iPad GSM model has the GPS chip, WIFI models does not. You could connect an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to WiFi model but not worth the hassle. My iPad mini is now old enough that it won't update beyond IOS 12.5, which also restricts GAIA GPS and few other camping/overlanding apps from upgrading as well. So I am in the market for a new iPad as well :)

Since iPad storage and CPU can't be ungraded later, I'd buy an iPad with largest internal storage and the most powerful CPU possible. One advantage of iPad Pro is that you can run Final Cut Pro and many other video editing apps on a large screen and you don't have to hauling a laptop around for video editing.

Sturdy mount for the iPad model is a must. Mine dropped few times because the suction cups were not strong enough. After moving to RAM Mount that attaches to grab handle, I've not had any issues.

I have paid version of GAIA, which gives me additional layers and few other features. For planning routes I use GAIA web based interface on 32" screen :) Once I am done and saved my routes, I sync all my devices and I am ready to go. Offline map files are not that big. All my offline map data, 5-6 tiles 200 sq miles each, is about 2GB.

GAIA GPS also integrates with Apple CarPlay. However it is mostly a 'view only' mode, you can't change anything from car's LCD screen. I use it on shorter trips or when I don't feel like setting up the iPad.
I agree, that the GSM model is the only way to go and not having to depend on an external GPS device. I am considering an iPad Pro since it will have the fastest CPUs, best resolution and the most advanced screen features. I am leaning towards 512GB thinking that will be more than enough memory. I am only considering the device for navigation, movies, internet browsing, and that is about it. Post-production media would be handled on a laptop. I need to learn Gaia more, only scratching the surface but I am sure if needed you can delete past downloaded maps that are not needed for an adventure. I love the Apple Car Play integration and have been getting familiar with it on my iPhone. I will need to purchase a new Overland rig to fit around the iPad (lol) since Honda Passports are limited in any 3rd party mod equipment. Shop RAM mounts and Honda is not even listed. Thanks for your input greatly appreciated.

Loanrangie

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Melboure,Victoria, Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Robertshaw
I just upgraded my head unit to this 10 " android 12 unit, loaded it with IGO for street navigation and Ozi Explorer for off-road mapping, going bush on the weekend so get to check it out.

IMG_20231004_082548.jpg

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I know this thread is a bit older, but since I'm in the same position (for a year now) and still undecided, I'd at least like to share my experience so far:

iPad with Gaia GPS

I have a paid subscription to Gaia and therefore have access to some very nice map layers. The main problem I have with Gaia is that the app itself is a total piece of garbage. It often doesn't work at all, it's not reliable, can't route (or can't route properly) when there is no cell service, it has crashed on me quite often and it's utterly useless to actually plan a route with. It's also as unintuitive as it gets, usability is non-existent, touch targets are often unclear, too small or just not helpful. Organization of data is reasonable, but the process of organizing is pain the rear.

It's pretty good planning with the website itself and driving with just map view (downloaded maps) without any actual navigation going on. It can't do point to point navigation with instructions anyways, it can't even beep, like even my ancient GPSMap 60 can.

So, Gaia is relatively nice if you are able to plan your route meticulously and are able to predict exactly which maps and layers you need when away from service. I also use it as a dumping ground for recorded routes from the GPSMap 60, since that can run with much higher accuracy and much longer battery life than the phone or iPad. I also dump points of interest in there, because I despise Google's tracking of everything and everybody.

One thing I absolutely hate is that when you are going through spotty cell service it will show/hide/show/hide publicly shared tracks depending on whether it's online or not. So it doesn't REALLY download and buffer properly, even if it has the maps and has downloaded the information to show in times of cell service. It's just incredibly stupid.

Overall, it's by far the second worst app I've used in a long time. The worst is OnX offroad, which I threw off my devices after a frustrating hour or so. Gaia I still have and reluctantly use.

You also can't import GPS POI lists that are large (over 10k points), or routes/tracks of that size.

iPad with downloaded offline Google Maps

It's a decent companion to Gaia and shines where Gaia fails. It doesn't have all the interesting layers, but it does have better and more recent satellite views, it can route with offline maps without a fault, it can gracefully go in and out of service without hickups.

Not that I like Google Maps much, but it works if it has the data available.

iPad with downloaded offline Apple Maps

I haven't really tried this since I haven't been out much since this was released. Apple maps quality is hit and miss. Sometimes it's astonishingly better than Google Maps, sometimes you want to kick it to the curb and never touch it again because it's annoying as hell to use, can't route with more flexibility (e.g. your own route), and often the data is much worse than Google's.

Regarding maps quality between Apple and Google: I've had hit and miss with both, but I'd still say that Google has better data.

Garmin

I use a Garmin Inreach Mini (the first generation) for SOS, an ancient Garmin GPSMaps for tracking. I was thinking about the Tread series, but so far I can't make myself get a Tread in 8 or 10 inches size and the hardware/software of the small one is just dreadfully slow when you are used to mobile phones from any time in the last 10 years. Plus I wouldn't be able to replace any of my other devices.

It's great that they have iOverlander POIs in there as well. And most of these aren't recent anyways, so the relatively slow update frequency isn't much of a problem.

Garmin Tread can give point to point navigation offroad, as well as absolutely, one hundred percent, reliably route offline. It's super simple and straightforward to create a route in Garmin Explore and it's simple to get it into Tread.

Overall, the whole Garmin ecosystem is just as "d(t)readful" to use as Gaia, but it works much more reliably. And it costs an arm and a leg.

iOverlander

Good for planning when online, useless offline.

My current setup
  • iPad Mini Gen 6 (for some planning and bigger view for the passenger)
  • Garmin GPSMap 60 for tracking routes, in car and while hiking
  • Garmin Inreach Mini for SOS
  • iPhone 13 Mini for following a planned Gaia route
  • Gaia GPS subscription, offline maps for the region I'm in
  • Old topo maps on the GPSMap
  • Google Maps as well as Apple Maps downloaded for the region I'm in
I wish I could simpllify this with a more reasonable setup, the only clear path would be to replace the GPSMap 60 and the old Inreach Mini with a modern GPSMaps with integrated Inreach.. A larger phone (i.e. an iPhone Pro sized one, I can't stand the iPad Nano sized Max versions) with an app like Gaia that actually works and has the ability to easily import iOverlander POIs would be great. So far, I was not successful getting something better than the total shitshow above.

Planned Testing

I need to give OnX offroad a better look, maybe there's a gem hiding in that ugly UI. Also need to actually try one of the bigger Tread series devices, just didn't want to spend the money on it. Plus I can't stand Garmin's policy with REALLY expensive maps if you're not staying on a single continent.

Last edited:

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Maybe not the right population but has anyone who used the iPad at one point switched to (or from) any of the garmin tread series?
I know the newer and larger ones run android and can side load apps like Gaia and OnX.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Timely thread since I've been looking at upgrading from my iPhone 6+. Yep! you read that right. A 6+. :tearsofjoy: Though I use my iPhone 15 as a back-up. :wink:

I use Gaia almost exclusively. I like to keep my process simple. It has its bugs, but I definitely don't have the issues mentioned above. It works well enough and I have all my tracks saved on it.

As I think about it, my 6+ has 32gb and storage so far has not been an issue. It's also not an empty phone since I have a lot of music and photos on it too from when it was my primary phone. So I don't think you really need to get something with a tons of memory. You might need to upgrade the device again before you run out of memory.

Renegade

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Texas
Here is my setup.
iPad Mini2- 64GB 7.9" screen (GSM version) with GAIA GPS maps. Only iPad GSM model has the GPS chip, WIFI models does not. You could connect an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to WiFi model but not worth the hassle.
If buying new, definitely get the GSM model. But if you have WiFi only on a recent generation iPad, the GPS module might be worth it over a new iPad. It was for me. Adding a Bluetooth GPS receiver gave my WiFi only iPad years more life. Saved me 1 generation of upgrades ($1000)as the iPad was still usable.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

cug, why would you be taking Gaia into the backcountry, but still be depending on cellular service?. I thought that the whole point is to be independent of cell service. Maybe I'm missing something?
Does anyone here think that he new "refreshed" Gaia interface (on iOS tablet/phone) is a step backward in usability? They seem to have complicated the UI by simplifying it---hiding previously available controls, and making you press more buttons to utilize the same functions that before were simple one-push to engage.

Last edited:

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I've had the same issues with Gaia as cug, and I think it stems from the iPhone going in and out of cell service, despite having previously downloaded the maps to use offline. For whatever reason it gets hung up for long periods of time, or crashes or acts like the maps aren't downloaded. I've tried turning cell data on and off to "free" it but that doesn't seem to matter.

Lately, I have been using OnX offroad as a backup, not so much for route planning, but to keep track of where I am on the trail, and it's been much more reliable than Gaia. One other thing that is kind of cool is when hitting the pavement between destinations, if you do have cell service, you see all sorts of trails pop up on the map which is great if you are unfamiliar with the area.

I think I have tried them all at this point, Backcountry navigator, various Garmin devices, etc., and still haven't found one app that does it all. Garmin Earthmate while not as fancy, is easy to download entire states, and always seems to work when the others fail.

I am also looking at getting a new tablet, will be following along with this thread.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I know this thread is a bit older, but since I'm in the same position (for a year now) and still undecided, I'd at least like to share my experience so far:

iPad with Gaia GPS

I have a paid subscription to Gaia and therefore have access to some very nice map layers. The main problem I have with Gaia is that the app itself is a total piece of garbage. It often doesn't work at all, it's not reliable, can't route (or can't route properly) when there is no cell service, it has crashed on me quite often and it's utterly useless to actually plan a route with. It's also as unintuitive as it gets, usability is non-existent, touch targets are often unclear, too small or just not helpful. Organization of data is reasonable, but the process of organizing is pain the rear.

It's pretty good planning with the website itself and driving with just map view (downloaded maps) without any actual navigation going on. It can't do point to point navigation with instructions anyways, it can't even beep, like even my ancient GPSMap 60 can.

So, Gaia is relatively nice if you are able to plan your route meticulously and are able to predict exactly which maps and layers you need when away from service. I also use it as a dumping ground for recorded routes from the GPSMap 60, since that can run with much higher accuracy and much longer battery life than the phone or iPad. I also dump points of interest in there, because I despise Google's tracking of everything and everybody.

One thing I absolutely hate is that when you are going through spotty cell service it will show/hide/show/hide publicly shared tracks depending on whether it's online or not. So it doesn't REALLY download and buffer properly, even if it has the maps and has downloaded the information to show in times of cell service. It's just incredibly stupid.

Overall, it's by far the second worst app I've used in a long time. The worst is OnX offroad, which I threw off my devices after a frustrating hour or so. Gaia I still have and reluctantly use.

You also can't import GPS POI lists that are large (over 10k points), or routes/tracks of that size.

iPad with downloaded offline Google Maps

It's a decent companion to Gaia and shines where Gaia fails. It doesn't have all the interesting layers, but it does have better and more recent satellite views, it can route with offline maps without a fault, it can gracefully go in and out of service without hickups.

Not that I like Google Maps much, but it works if it has the data available.

iPad with downloaded offline Apple Maps

I haven't really tried this since I haven't been out much since this was released. Apple maps quality is hit and miss. Sometimes it's astonishingly better than Google Maps, sometimes you want to kick it to the curb and never touch it again because it's annoying as hell to use, can't route with more flexibility (e.g. your own route), and often the data is much worse than Google's.

Regarding maps quality between Apple and Google: I've had hit and miss with both, but I'd still say that Google has better data.

Garmin

I use a Garmin Inreach Mini (the first generation) for SOS, an ancient Garmin GPSMaps for tracking. I was thinking about the Tread series, but so far I can't make myself get a Tread in 8 or 10 inches size and the hardware/software of the small one is just dreadfully slow when you are used to mobile phones from any time in the last 10 years. Plus I wouldn't be able to replace any of my other devices.

It's great that they have iOverlander POIs in there as well. And most of these aren't recent anyways, so the relatively slow update frequency isn't much of a problem.

Garmin Tread can give point to point navigation offroad, as well as absolutely, one hundred percent, reliably route offline. It's super simple and straightforward to create a route in Garmin Explore and it's simple to get it into Tread.

Overall, the whole Garmin ecosystem is just as "d(t)readful" to use as Gaia, but it works much more reliably. And it costs an arm and a leg.

iOverlander

Good for planning when online, useless offline.

My current setup
  • iPad Mini Gen 6 (for some planning and bigger view for the passenger)
  • Garmin GPSMap 60 for tracking routes, in car and while hiking
  • Garmin Inreach Mini for SOS
  • iPhone 13 Mini for following a planned Gaia route
  • Gaia GPS subscription, offline maps for the region I'm in
  • Old topo maps on the GPSMap
  • Google Maps as well as Apple Maps downloaded for the region I'm in
I wish I could simpllify this with a more reasonable setup, the only clear path would be to replace the GPSMap 60 and the old Inreach Mini with a modern GPSMaps with integrated Inreach.. A larger phone (i.e. an iPhone Pro sized one, I can't stand the iPad Nano sized Max versions) with an app like Gaia that actually works and has the ability to easily import iOverlander POIs would be great. So far, I was not successful getting something better than the total shitshow above.

Planned Testing

I need to give OnX offroad a better look, maybe there's a gem hiding in that ugly UI. Also need to actually try one of the bigger Tread series devices, just didn't want to spend the money on it. Plus I can't stand Garmin's policy with REALLY expensive maps if you're not staying on a single continent.
My experiences pretty much mimic yours.
My latest experiment was to recently purchase the Garmin Overlander which has iOverlander integrated in it so it can be used offline. I’m planning an extended trip to Utah and Nevada in a month or so and hopefully I’ll work out any issues. I’m also going to Africa later this year and will be getting maps from Tracks4Africa which are compatible with the Overlander. Wish me luck!

PS are you on the Jeep Gladiator forum too?

Reactions: cug

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Yes, that’s me on the Gladiator forum.

The Overlander should work just fine. Dan from “The Road Chose Me” uses a Garmin like this.

I’m going to give our DriveSmart 66 a test with OpenStreetMaps and imported iOverlander data. But that will only be in May since it’s in Europe …

Also possibly interesting: look up Thork Racing and their DMD2 system. They don’t have arbitrary map sources yet, but seem to be open to feedback.

Last edited: