Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cramer
I am currently in the planning stages of an overland trip to New Mexico and Colorado next summer (2019). As of right now the only places that we are going to go to are Breckenridge, CO and Santa Rosa, NM. Other than that it is totally open. The closest I have been to the area we are going to is Telluride to ski this past year.

What are some interesting things to do/ see while in the area? Also, are there any routes that are a must?

Thanks.

Robert Cramer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ohio, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Cramer
For trail riding a JK 2-Door lifted, geared and locked, but I will have a GMC Canyon All Terrain LWB by this trip next year. The JK is set up for more rock crawling than long cross country trips.

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Hi Robert
Not sure where you would be coming from, what you would be interested in seeing, general sightseeing, trails etc, but here are a few general areas/some specific I have visited that are well worth researching and maybe adding to a "Must see list" I can group some of these in general areas if you wish-at least it's a start.

Colorado in general is awesome, way to many places to list, you could spend a lifetime in Colorado alone visiting. Rocky Mountain National Park is awesome (North West of Denver). Mount Evans (West of Denver). Guanella Pass (West of Denver-South from Georgetown, CO). Pikes Peak (West of Colorado Springs), Garden Of the Gods (Colorado Springs). Salida, CO area. Creede,CO area (headwaters of the Rio Grande River). Pagosa Springs, CO. Durango, Co, Vallecito, CO, Silverton/Ouray, CO (North of Durango area). Red Mountain Pass (outside going North from Silverton area). Great Sand Dunes (Southern Colorado area).
New Mexico areas worth visiting are separated by long distances-lots of driving). Chama, NM area-(Northern NM). Taos area. Aztec Ruins Aztec, NM. Chaco Canyon-Chaco Culture National Historical Park-Indian Ruins- Northern NM. White Sands National Monument -Southern NM. Ruidoso, Alto and Cloudcroft-South NM area. Carlsbad Caverns, Southern NM area.
Hope this helps.
Bob

Bob (Fishingbob)

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Aransas Pass, Texas
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Burton
Member #

Hi Robert
Forgot one area called the Valle Vidal. The area is beautiful located between Castillo, NM on the West and Cimmaron, NM on the East.
Hope this helps.
Bob