• HTML tutorial

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Hi all.

I suspect I probably fit in here.

Vehicle based travel is a big part of my life. I have two camping vehicles: '96 XJ and '02 Suburban.

Let's see if I can post pics here:

Looks like I can.

The Suburban is what The Bride is willing to camp in. She is a self-proclaimed reluctant camper, and has a strong preference for sites with at least flush toilets and ideally showers too. Having three sons she has resigned herself to a number of years of camping life.

Camping is natural to me. I lived off grid until I was six, and at that it took 19 poles to get electricity to us. No neighbors. No civilization. The Bride has done her best to civilize me, but the Jeep is my escape. The Varmints and I will go camping in it several times a year.

The Jeep is also my ham radio rig. It was purchased for transmitter hunting because The Bride objected to the idea of a hole in the roof of the Suburban. T-hunting is hide and seek for radio geeks, and it makes radio fun for boys. We homeschool and this is one more way to make science and technology real for The Varmints. Varmint #1 is already a licensed ham and is deeper into the field than I am.

We help with Adopt-A-Trail in the San Bernardino National Forest with the SoCal chapter of NAXJA. We try to sneak out as often as we can during the school year because we have more flexibility than most other families. We turned President's Day weekend into a two week trip to Death Valley and then all the way up to Idaho this year.

I am also a gear head. I have been working on cars since I was in elementary school. My father will admit that he has no mechanical ability. He was more than happy to encourage me in that direction, although I think I have taken farther than he wanted. He just wanted his cars fixed. I had to find ways to make them better. There have been very few times when I have let a shop do any work on my vehicles. I have more faith in my own skills than I do in the skills of the professionals.

I hope I can add something useful here at Overland Bound.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
San Diego.

I love the old Chevys. One of the first vehicles I was responsible for taking care of was the '68 C10 that was my father's and had been his father's before him.

At one point I had a '72 K20 pickup, but I gave up and sold it because I didn't have the time to put into it. The frame, axles, transmission and T-case were good, but beyond those, pretty much everything else needed major attention. Family priorities were higher, so I had to say goodbye to it.

Reactions: Rusty burbin