Rank V

Member III

Smithville, Missouri, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Herron
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound from Missouri! Could recommend going to a meet and greet in or near your area to see other members in your area. Rally Point would be another place as well. Finally the regional section of OB is more specific to the Florida area to.

Reactions: Noble Savage

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I've been interested in overloading for a few years now and I decided to start now. I recently purchased a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 and I'm from Central Florida. I am looking on where to start first on this journey.
Welcome!

My wife and I have a motto -- "Any Excuse Will Do". So as far as where to start....find an excuse and go!

Is there a brewery in the next state that you want to check out? See if you can find a way to it on as little pavement as possible. Maybe you've never been to a local watering hole or 4x4 trail, check that out too! And Overlanding -- while it's implied goal is remote, off-grid travel -- isn't always off pavement. Florida is full of interesting destinations that may involve more slab than track, but they are still worth checking out! Just pick a place you've never been before, load up the family, and go. The adventure is the reward.

You've got a great platform to work off of, but before spending a dime on it, use it and find out what you like, don't like, or would find more comfortable. The reason no two rigs are the same is that no two people have the same needs. Save your money (spend a few bucks on perhaps a Spot Device or an InReach, a shovel and first aid kit, and a map!) and have a great time. And most importantly -- take lots of pics, and share them with the rest of us!

Welcome aboard!

TerraCrawler

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sweetwater, TN
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Feeny
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK5NL
I am born and raised in Florida. Florida SUCKS for overloading. And you will need to go North a good bit for decent experiences. The Carolinas, Tennessee, Arkansas are your closest prospects for real mountains. There are some foothills in North GA that can be interesting but most of the Southern part of the state is not very interesting. I keep my vehicle in storage in East TN so I can just fly in and play in places, driving up from Florida takes too much time imho. This time of year, Florida is very hot and humid, its most enjoyable to be in a climate where its at least in the 60's at night.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I've been interested in overloading for a few years now and I decided to start now. I recently purchased a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 and I'm from Central Florida. I am looking on where to start first on this journey.
Welcome!

I’m originally from Central FL myself, but up in DC/Northern VA now!

Ocala National Forest is a good place to start for you! But as others have said... not a ton of options down there. Once you get up to GA and Carolinas, you’ve got some more options.