Rank 0

Contributor I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
LaCara
Hey y’all,

I just got a new-to-me 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ an All Terrain package. from what I’ve read on other sites, my rig might be a bit too be considered a true overlander - but I want to make it more capable when I’m on the mountain. I.e. more ground clearance (lift recs), off-road rims/tires, roof rack/topper.

It’s just overwhelming the amount of information to take in as a newbie, so if any of y’all can point me on the right direction - it’d be greatly appreciated

Big skier/camper/hiker - so everything needs to be reliable in sub-zero temps (not sure how much that has to do w/ a build, but stuff breaks easy the colder it gets)

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey y’all,

I just got a new-to-me 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ an All Terrain package. from what I’ve read on other sites, my rig might be a bit too be considered a true overlander - but I want to make it more capable when I’m on the mountain. I.e. more ground clearance (lift recs), off-road rims/tires, roof rack/topper.

It’s just overwhelming the amount of information to take in as a newbie, so if any of y’all can point me on the right direction - it’d be greatly appreciated

Big skier/camper/hiker - so everything needs to be reliable in sub-zero temps (not sure how much that has to do w/ a build, but stuff breaks easy the colder it gets)
Hello Ben and welcome to the OB crew...nice rig for your adventure platform. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. Starting point is how do you want to use your rig. Establish that first before throwing any money at your build. Camper shell, rtt. Tent. Or trailer. Then start with basics to get yourself out there in adventure to see why and what you need. Lots of great advice and members here to help.

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Hey y’all,

I just got a new-to-me 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ an All Terrain package. from what I’ve read on other sites, my rig might be a bit too be considered a true overlander
Assuming you meant "too big" - I don't think so. It all comes down to what your intended purpose is.

Regardless, welcome!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome Ben @OnlyDriveGMs , you came to the right place to learn about Overlanding. You are in the US Northwest Region, @Kent R is the Regional Director, @Gabriel Bozeman is your closest Member Rep, @Sandpoint Steve and myself @Slimpartywagon are also Member Reps.

Check out the Full Sized Rigs sub forums. Lots of rigs in there. The trophy trucks of years gone buy were primarily Full-size trucks with outrageous campers on the back. They were huge and heavy. But they went everywhere. I personally have built 6 full-size rigs, currently working on 7, and haven’t found my rigs to be inadequate. The biggest problem newbies have is gear envy. I suffered from this for years. And in my late teens through early 20’s this wasn’t much of a problem. Then I got married, had kids, and had actual adult responsibilities. So in order to continue my adventures I had to stop spending money on the exciting gear, and focus on the important and basic gear.
I give the fallowing advice to all new comers to the hobby:
Buy a 3 subject notebook to keep in your rig. It’s going to become a log book of sorts. The first subject is the vehicle modifications, Second Subject recovery gear upgrades, and third subject is camping gear/upgrades. use the truck for 1 year without doing any modifications to the truck, other than possibly tires and armor. Get good coms, basic recovery gear, and basic camping gear.
Subject 1: Vehicle modifications can be broken down into several groups. Mechanical, Interior, and Body. For mechanical upgrades you are looking at upgrading mechanical failures, improving specific characteristics, and performance gains. Interior is comfort and ergonomic upgrades as well as storage solutions for gear, electronics, and other interior needs. Body breaks down into armor, storage, lights, and other functionality add ons and upgrades to enhance usability and looks with an emphasis on usability over looks. Too many times we chose form over function which results in a less than capable rig.
Subject 2: Recovery gear, start with the basics, a abc fire extinguisher(or several), first aid kit, shovel, axe, gallon of water, emergency food rations, recovery straps, shackles, recovery points, an air compressor, tire Repair kit, and a set of basic automotive tools.
Subject 3: Camping Gear, bare minimum tent (shelter) sleeping bags, cook stove, kitchen utensils, and something to put them all in.

As you adventure throughout the year, write down in each section what you need to change out and why. Research different products that meet the overall goal you wish to achieve. make A list of these products. Only buy what is absolutely nessessary your first year. Prioritize your list from what you have to have down to that looks neat.
your second year is where things start to happen. Start buying the stuff in order of importance along with what your budget can afford. After each upgrade, go test it out, make sure it performs like you want. You will find that the things you thought you needed originally might not actually be a need but more of a want or that’s looks cool item.

Find like minded people to hang with (you already made a great choice coming here) to gain knowledge from others. Attend local events and Meetups, talk to your member reps, that’s what we are here for. By becoming A paid member, you will gain access to the user maps which is a huge resource to see what is going on around you, and find locals to get out and explore with. The member reps are working hard to set up some exciting trail rides, camp outs, and gatherings throughout the year. @2RiversRanchExpeditions is hosting a 4th of July weekend at the 2 Rivers Ranch in Dayville, Oregon.
Also if your budget can afford it I highly recommend attending the Northwest Overland Rally in June

Once again, welcome Ben. I hope we can help you with your build, and answer any other questions you might have. See you on the trails.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey y’all,

There's nothing wrong with a full-size for Overlanding: Fool-size Overland Trip: Tamarack Lake in Shasta-Trinity National Forest

Everybody has their own definition and by *some* definitions no, your IFS 1500 probably won't do everything that's out there. But it will still do a lot. I would consider a small-ish (on the order of 4" lift) that includes a front diff-drop to maintain proper CV-angles. I'm not sure on the 1500, but I *think* that might get you 35s. That would be the MAX I'd run on 1500 running gear, personally. In fact, I might consider 33"s with the same 4" of lift to make sure they clear fully and to be a bit easier on suspension and drivetrain parts. I imagine the All Terrain package has the G80 rear locker? If not I'd add a rear locker. If I recall the 1500 front diff doesn't have any selectable locker options, but if that is no longer accurate and you can do a selectable locker up front that's a great mod. Beyond that I'd consider a winch... when 4x4 and lockers can't get you out of a situation, a winch can. And being willing to go to the winch early vs. trying to use throttle and momentum can also help you avoid undue breakage.

Icon is generally a great option and they have a 3" setup that clears 33x11.5"s or more with trimming: Complete Suspension Systems - ICON Vehicle Dynamics

-TJ

Reactions: OnlyDriveGMs

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hey y’all,

Welcome! I'd say look at the forums and see what others use. That's what I've done.

Here are a few tips to get you started:
-Check out the local region's forums for events and meetups in your area.
-Check out the Rally Point system and the Member Map for events and other people around you. Super helpful.
-Our region also has a FB page.

If you need anything, feel free to PM me or tag me in the forums at @Gabriel Bozeman.

Cheers!
Gabe Bozeman
NW Member Rep

Reactions: OnlyDriveGMs

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Heya Ben, welcome! OB isn't about what you drive, so much as how you use it. We've got folks with all manner of vehicles. Slim, Gabe, Bama, TJ all gave good advice. I wouldn't worry too much about going out & spending a bunch on stuff that makes it "look like" you're "overloading". For example, a roof top tent. They're great, I'm sure, but they also mean climbing ladders to get in/out, and stowing every time you wanna explore using your truck. For this reason, I'm starting out with a ground tent. Plus, I'm not ready to spend $1K+ on a freakin' tent!! I can put a full set of skids on my truck for that!

Prioritize. "overlanding' is about vehicle exploration & basically car camping. My personal goal is to see how cheap & incognito I can go, at least to begin. I'll spend my money on quality personal items like sleeping bag, camp tools/gear/cooking, shelter & keeping my rig mechanically fit.

Slimpartywagon's suggestions are a good plan to follow, at least for me (Thanks Mike!)

Again, welcome to the forum!!

Reactions: M Rose

OnlyDriveGMs

Rank 0

Contributor I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
LaCara
Heya Ben, welcome! OB isn't about what you drive, so much as how you use it. We've got folks with all manner of vehicles. Slim, Gabe, Bama, TJ all gave good advice. I wouldn't worry too much about going out & spending a bunch on stuff that makes it "look like" you're "overloading". For example, a roof top tent. They're great, I'm sure, but they also mean climbing ladders to get in/out, and stowing every time you wanna explore using your truck. For this reason, I'm starting out with a ground tent. Plus, I'm not ready to spend $1K+ on a freakin' tent!! I can put a full set of skids on my truck for that!

Prioritize. "overlanding' is about vehicle exploration & basically car camping. My personal goal is to see how cheap & incognito I can go, at least to begin. I'll spend my money on quality personal items like sleeping bag, camp tools/gear/cooking, shelter & keeping my rig mechanically fit.

Slimpartywagon's suggestions are a good plan to follow, at least for me (Thanks Mike!)

Again, welcome to the forum!!
Yeah! Everyone here has been super cool, and definitely took my edge off being new to the game.

I grew up in Alaska and have always been big into the outdoors, so some of the basics I have covered - like sub-zero rated sleeping bags, A nice two-person tent, camping stoves/cooking equipment, a first aid kit, and also know some basic self-rescue techniques.

I’m putting together a basic tool-kit now to keep in the back and also looking at winches, also got some journals to keep notes like Mike suggested. The truck came stock with a 2” lift, and a G80 locker in the back, has decent tread on the wrangler tires, I’m just gonna take it how it goes for the year, add stuff as needed and re-assess everything in 2021.

attached is the truck the day I brought it Home (it came with the ‘sports bar’ when I bought it used, I’ve since taken it off)

Attachments

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Now yer talkin'. Sounds like you've got a lot of bases covered already, and a nice looking truck to haul 'em with. Enjoy!