New member intro and excited to cross paths.

• HTML tutorial

Lovejoy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fuquay-Varina, NC
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lovejoy
Member #

Hey there,

So, I bought a JK and looking to make the most of it. I was born and raised in Maine. Then kind of like Caine, I roamed the earth a while. (Except I was in the military. ) Hence, I'm now here in NC.

So now I'm a DD-214 alumni and looking to go on adventures on my own terms. I'm just starting out though. Still have plenty of stock items that need some upgrading as time goes on. So I'm looking for medium and below level trails for the moment.

If you're in the area, feel free to say hey. If you know of any good trails or Gems in the woods to share, I'm listening.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to crossing paths.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey there,

So, I bought a JK and looking to make the most of it. I was born and raised in Maine. Then kind of like Caine, I roamed the earth a while. (Except I was in the military. ) Hence, I'm now here in NC.

So now I'm a DD-214 alumni and looking to go on adventures on my own terms. I'm just starting out though. Still have plenty of stock items that need some upgrading as time goes on. So I'm looking for medium and below level trails for the moment.

If you're in the area, feel free to say hey. If you know of any good trails or Gems in the woods to share, I'm listening.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to crossing paths.
Hello and welcome to the OB crew...look forward to seeing your build and your adventures. Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Lovejoy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fuquay-Varina, NC
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lovejoy
Member #

Many thanks Chadlyb. And much more thanks for your support. Did you serve as well?

Currently I'm at a very basic build and exploring options as to which way I want to go first. Upgrade the differentials, (but do I go 5:38 or settle with 5:13?) Or what suspension system would be wise for when these shocks finally see "the end of the trail."
Then of course the whole, "which rack will work with rooftop tents" challenge. But hey, it's a Jeep, and that's basically a synonym for " work in progress". There's always something that can get upgraded or redesigned. (All part of the adventure)

What do you have for a storage system in the Black Pearl? Did you make it yourself or find a company and buy something?

So, yeah as you can tell, totally new to all of this and taking it easy listening to the voices of experience. Meanwhile, enjoying the ride and thankful I stumbled across all of you here.

Totally stoked about the 3D map feature I saw on the YouTube vid. too.
( )
IMG_20190316_165342.jpegIMG_20190316_165352.jpeg

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Many thanks Chadlyb. And much more thanks for your support. Did you serve as well?

Currently I'm at a very basic build and exploring options as to which way I want to go first. Upgrade the differentials, (but do I go 5:38 or settle with 5:13?) Or what suspension system would be wise for when these shocks finally see "the end of the trail."
Then of course the whole, "which rack will work with rooftop tents" challenge. But hey, it's a Jeep, and that's basically a synonym for " work in progress". There's always something that can get upgraded or redesigned. (All part of the adventure)

What do you have for a storage system in the Black Pearl? Did you make it yourself or find a company and buy something?

So, yeah as you can tell, totally new to all of this and taking it easy listening to the voices of experience. Meanwhile, enjoying the ride and thankful I stumbled across all of you here.

Totally stoked about the 3D map feature I saw on the YouTube vid. too.
( )
View attachment 99953View attachment 99960
Just put in a brand new Goose Gear rear seat delete in that was barely released. Thank you. Yes , was Mineman U.S. NAVY during desert storm. Great looking Jeep. images (3).jpegIMG_4061.jpg20190518_183133.jpg

Reactions: Lovejoy

Lovejoy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fuquay-Varina, NC
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lovejoy
Member #

Just put in a brand new Goose Gear rear seat delete in that was barely released. Thank you. Yes , was Mineman U.S. NAVY during desert storm. Great looking Jeep. View attachment 100009View attachment 100010View attachment 100011
Wow! The Black Pearl is definitely one sharp rig. Good on ya! Is Goose Gear hard to install? I've seen a couple rigs with the plate system.. I really like the looks of them. The whole seat removal must make a ton of space for you. Super cool.[emoji482]

My great grandfather was on the Arizona. My grandfather and his brother were Seabees in Okinawa making runways during the war.. So, much respect for your service and leading the way for us to follow.
My stepdad was a captain in the Marines... Soo... Went my own path and joined the Army in 95. ( Retired Air Force) Was comms the whole time. Long haul transmission and switches in the Army, and Satcom in the Air Force. While I did miss Desert Storm, I did catch O.I.F (05-07). Again, Many Thanks for making your choice to serve. And thanks for sharing your pics.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Thank you.She is coming along nicely. Yes their stuff goes into factory holes with lots of thought and effort for a great looking product. This was so new that there weren't any instructions to go with. Easy to figure out. Only had to call on one set of brackets. Customer service was outstanding and got answers quickly. Definitely not inexpensive but so worth it on this. I actually thought of this when I bought her but no one had made it yet. Good things come to those who wait. Unlike some of the earlier models of platforms I've seen of theirs, this is coated with a textured finish and is easily cleaned off. Hope you're having a great weekend. I'm the last generation of my family to serve during war time. Followed in my grandfather's footsteps by going into the Navy. He served in WWII. Great grandfather served in the Army during WWI.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Welcome to OB! Great start on your rig. I'll be heading to overland expo east in October, you may want to check it out too. Lots of rigs, and vendors there to checkout, may help give you some more ideas.

Lovejoy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fuquay-Varina, NC
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lovejoy
Member #

Welcome to OB! Great start on your rig. I'll be heading to overland expo east in October, you may want to check it out too. Lots of rigs, and vendors there to checkout, may help give you some more ideas.
Hey there DJBKM, nice to meet you.
Yeah, I'll definitely be looking into it, for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Today's drive was up a fire service road (fr210) to Table Rock summit.
Have a great day and thanks for the welcome.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Lovejoy

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fuquay-Varina, NC
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lovejoy
Member #

Welcome to the Group!! I have a 2015 JKUR, starting to make it into an overland vehicle, bought it with a few upgrades, winch bumper, winch, rear tire carrier, lift and 35” tires.
Right on [emoji106][emoji482]
Exactly how I got mine as well..
Have you or do you plan on upgrading the differentials, whole axles or brake system?
I'm still trying to figure out good way to go for all of that.
Thanks for saying "Hey".

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using OB Talk mobile app

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from Central Texas and thanks for your service. Former USAF here.