Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Hi folks! New to overland travel and eager to pick up some new tips and tricks.

We moved from north Texas (Collin/Fannin counties) to Las Vegas recently. I grew up in the Hudson Valley in New York and did not expect the area around Las Vegas to have such amazing outdoor activities. The wife and I spent the summer getting in tune with the wilderness in the Mt. Charles area.

Nevada is what I grew up thinking Texas would be. Honestly I'm super glad I took the job here.

While we do love hiking and I totally love backpacking the vehicle is needed to get around the southwest. There is so much to see and do. I sold off the F150 and got an FJ Cruiser to really explore the wild areas around here and the southwest.

We're fairly experienced and confident in the outdoors but the whole vehicle travel thing is totally new to us. There is a lot to learn and a lot to know and I'm a bit timid to get out and tackle a lot of it on our own. I'm hoping that experienced, avid and active overlanders can get us over that learning curve. Teach us how to judge what we need for where we want to go and show us the payoffs for places that sound too daunting right now.

I expect to read a lot, learn a lot and apply what folks share to our own adventures. I look forward to jamming with y'all!

Attachments

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Welcome @Gryf! I'm down in Arizona. You'll have no problem finding people here to help guide you through any learning curves! Nice looking FJ!

Reactions: T.Shack

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Thanks for the compliment!

If you ever wander up to Southern Nevada lets get together. I know I'll be down in Az during the winter and I'll make sure to shout out for trail tips.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Thanks for the compliment!

If you ever wander up to Southern Nevada lets get together. I know I'll be down in Az during the winter and I'll make sure to shout out for trail tips.
I definitely will do, we were just up in the Mojave Desert a couple weeks ago (ok, not NV, but basically there) and will definitely be heading back in the next year to do a proper Mojave Road trip. Please do hit me up when you come down to AZ and i'll give you as much info as i can, especially if you make it all the way down to southern AZ.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

We moved from north Texas (Collin/Fannin counties) to Las Vegas recently. I grew up in the Hudson Valley in New York and did not expect the area around Las Vegas to have such amazing outdoor activities. The wife and I spent the summer getting in tune with the wilderness in the Mt. Charles area.

Nevada is what I grew up thinking Texas would be. Honestly I'm super glad I took the job here.

While we do love hiking and I totally love backpacking the vehicle is needed to get around the southwest. There is so much to see and do. I sold off the F150 and got an FJ Cruiser to really explore the wild areas around here and the southwest.

We're fairly experienced and confident in the outdoors but the whole vehicle travel thing is totally new to us. There is a lot to learn and a lot to know and I'm a bit timid to get out and tackle a lot of it on our own. I'm hoping that experienced, avid and active overlanders can get us over that learning curve. Teach us how to judge what we need for where we want to go and show us the payoffs for places that sound too daunting right now.

I expect to read a lot, learn a lot and apply what folks share to our own adventures. I look forward to jamming with y'all!
Welcome to Overland Bound!

Las Vegas has a new meet-up group that is working on setting up a reoccurring meet-up. Check it out if your interested.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/official-ob-las-vegas-thread.17713/

If you have any questions message me on the forum @Kent R

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello and welcome to the OB crew...great looking Toy and look forward to seeing your build and your adventures.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Greetings and welcome from Bullhead City, AZ. across the river from Laughlin, we are like 90 mins apart, will have to get on some trails!

Jim

Reactions: T.Shack

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

Welcome Gryf! Boy you have a lot of fun places with in a few hours to go see around you. I suggest reading alot in these forums, lot of great info & people in here.