First Name
Mike
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4BDT
Hey, I'm Mike.
I currently live in Roanoke VA, been camping and offroading since I was young(they kinda go together), amature fisherman, and adventure seeker. Looking forward to contributing and being a part of this group.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Froyal5

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Front Royal, Virginia
Member #

I see another few Virginia folks recently joining like myself. I'm all the way on the other end of the 81 corridor, near Winchester. Welcome.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Welcome from over in Covington! Check out the Virginia West meet-up thread in the meet-up section. We're a little slow right now but hopefully we'll get something going soon!

Stan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ann Arbor Michigan
Member #

Too many years ago my employment allowed me to spend seven years in sub-Saharan Africa. This gave the opportunity to drive nearly 100,000 miles, much of which was boondocking. The vehicles used were a Land Rover for five years and a Land Cruiser for two years. I wish to undertake this life style again except in Australia, Asia, and, again, in Africa. My wife and I contemplate doing this fulltime for 2-3 years--and herein is a problem. We are considering purchase of an all-terrain vehicle made in Germany based on a German made truck . The purchase would be in Germany. Unfortunately this truck will not meet US requirements for importation into the U.S. although it is legal in Canada. Can anyone offer advice whether there are states with reasonable flexibility in the vehicles they register? For example, if I do not bring it to the U.S. are there any states that will allow me to register it for use exclusively outside the U.S.? If I do desire to bring it to the U.S. can I bring it into the U.S , drive it here for several months, drive it to, say Canada for a month or two and then return to the U.S. for another stay of several months? Suggestions?

Marty

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phippsburg, Maine
Member #

I don't directly know the answer but there are some guys in Colorado who import these types of vehicles - Mastodon4x4 - who do this stuff and may be willing to give you advice. Good luck!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Too many years ago my employment allowed me to spend seven years in sub-Saharan Africa. This gave the opportunity to drive nearly 100,000 miles, much of which was boondocking. The vehicles used were a Land Rover for five years and a Land Cruiser for two years. I wish to undertake this life style again except in Australia, Asia, and, again, in Africa. My wife and I contemplate doing this fulltime for 2-3 years--and herein is a problem. We are considering purchase of an all-terrain vehicle made in Germany based on a German made truck . The purchase would be in Germany. Unfortunately this truck will not meet US requirements for importation into the U.S. although it is legal in Canada. Can anyone offer advice whether there are states with reasonable flexibility in the vehicles they register? For example, if I do not bring it to the U.S. are there any states that will allow me to register it for use exclusively outside the U.S.? If I do desire to bring it to the U.S. can I bring it into the U.S , drive it here for several months, drive it to, say Canada for a month or two and then return to the U.S. for another stay of several months? Suggestions?
This sounds like something you should start a thread for in the trip planing forum instead of tacking on the end of another member's introduction thread. :grinning:

Stan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Ann Arbor Michigan
Member #

Many thanks for the suggestion. I am a complete newbie here and have a substantial learning curve before being comfortable with the intricacies of what Overland Bound offers.

I will repost my queries in the trip planning forum. Again thanks for holding my hand and leading me through this.

Reactions: TerryD