Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Garrison
Member #

Hi Gary, I’m from Grants Pass also! I drive a TRD Pro Toyota 4Runner in Voodoo Blue, maybe we will run into each other!

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hi Gary, I’m from Grants Pass also! I drive a TRD Pro Toyota 4Runner in Voodoo Blue, maybe we will run into each other!
Hi Ken thanks for responding to my post. Based on your member number you must have joined just after i did. I would enjoy the opportunity to meet up sometime and I will definitely keep my eye out for your rig. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I just found some replies I didn't know i had. Merry Christmas to you.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Welcome from La Grande
Hi Michael thanks for replying to my newbie post. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I'm just now finding posts. I've only been to your area once but I really like that part of our state. I have a cousin who lives in Cove. Hope to got through there this Summer, possibly on my way home from the NW Overland rally. Merry Christmas.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Welcome from Central Texas.
Hey Mike thanks for the shout out. My bad on not responding sooner. I like the quote and certainly find it to be true for me. Here's a bit of irony. I have a friend that attends the same church whose name is Mike Roots. Have a Merry Christmas.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Well I obviously hit the post button to soon. Thanks for the welcome. Central Oregon is someplace hope I get to explore this coming year. I watch Coyote Works and Primal Outdoors videos and they have stirred my interest to experience that area. Have a Merry Christmas.

Reactions: Munga Brown

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi Michael thanks for replying to my newbie post. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I'm just now finding posts. I've only been to your area once but I really like that part of our state. I have a cousin who lives in Cove. Hope to got through there this Summer, possibly on my way home from the NW Overland rally. Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas, Cove is actually my hometown. I graduated from there in 97, my dad was the Mayor until last year, and my kids still go to school there now.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Merry Christmas, Cove is actually my hometown. I graduated from there in 97, my dad was the Mayor until last year, and my kids still go to school there now.
Wow? That's interesting. Your dad being Mayor must have created some interesting moments for you.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
He became mayor in 2000, I was just out of AIT then. Once out of the service, I started attending several of the city council meetings. Some of those were very interesting.

My dad was also the president of the volunteer fire department. I sat in one a few of those meetings when the department got a military truck for free to turn into a tanker truck. The community was in an uproar because the truck was going to be worth almost a million dollats by the time it was complete. I remember laughing hysterically during the first half of the meeting and one of the members of the board asked me what was so funny. My reply pretty much boiled down to The truck is worth almost a million bucks, exactly how much is the fire department spending, how much is the city spending, how much is the county and state as well? They were like, well one million. I was like no, the truck was going to scrap and the Army gave it to the Forrest Service to donate to Rural Fire Departments to help fight Forrest fires on National Forrest Lands. The pumping equipent and holding tanks are being donated by a millitary surplus store because the equipment has been sitting for nearly 2 decades. The paint was donated from a local paint store. And I donated 6 months and my shop into retrofitting the truck and getting it ready to paint. And lastly the fire chief painted the truck. So I asked again, exactly how much did this truck cost to build.

now 4 years later, that same truck developed a few problems, and the same people opposed to the truck wanted to sell it and buy a smaller truck. I then asked if the truck was a money pit? The answer was no. In fact the department has made a Lot of money with said truck, because the forres Service pays the department for use of the truck and 2 fire fighters at $1500 per day up to 90 days consecutive. Going to a smaller truck looses the FS support for the small fire department. I was able to talk them into the $800 the truck needed.

• Haha
Reactions: Munga Brown

Ken3express

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Oregon, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Garrison
Member #

Hi Ken thanks for responding to my post. Based on your member number you must have joined just after i did. I would enjoy the opportunity to meet up sometime and I will definitely keep my eye out for your rig. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I just found some replies I didn't know i had. Merry Christmas to you.
Merry Christmas Gary! What kind of vehicle are you driving, I’ll keep my eye out for you!!!