Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hey all. New member here from Southern California. I'm new to overlanding, but not new to off-roading and camping. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 with the TRD Off-Road package. Currently that's the rig I plan to modify for my family of five, because I don't believe our 4Runner can accommodate all the gear we would need for extended adventures. Which brings me to my next topic.

My wife, 3 boys (9, 4, and 1), and I are planning a 2 week Southwest trip this summer. Going to start in Southern California and go to Southern Utah, Southern Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. Planning on camping a couple days at a time, and staying in hotels a day or two between each camping spot. My question is for those of you that have kids and/or live in the above mentioned states (minus California), what are the must see locations/must do activities? Some of the things I've come up with are: Arches National Park, the narrow gauge railroad out of Durango, the dinosaur resource center, the Grand Canyon, and bearizona. Nothing is locked in, so any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Also scenic drive, and mild trail suggestions would be great as well.

Currently my rig is bone stock with the exception of a snugtop. I plan to do some light modifying prior to the trip (i.e. 2.5"-3" lift kit, rock sliders, and CB communications, chuck box or drawer system, roof rack with awning, etc). I have an idea of what I want as far as brands/manufacturers/diy is concerned, but let's see what you guys suggest. Always looking to do things right the first time and not pay twice. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Welcome.
You must have thought of Moab, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches and Mesa Verde. Those are pretty obvious. Have a great time.
Make sure to check in with the "Overland Bound - West" Facebook page.

Reactions: XL.Overland

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Will do. Thanks for the heads up Terry. And yes I did think of those. I'm looking for more specific within areas like that as I've never been to any of them. Such as a specific lake, or amazing viewpoint, or beautiful campsite within a certain park, etc.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Welcome to OB! Your trip sounds great, and I think you've got a good idea on places to visit. There may even be some GPX files to help you in the downloadable routes section of the forum!

Rmac831

Rank III
Investor

Contributor III

Member #

This might be out of your way but the last time I took a similar trip we went Carlsbad Caverns National Park and it was awesome! Funny thing was I was talking about that very trip today at work. Enjoy the ride and explore the world!

New Mexico 88220
(575) 785-2232

https://g.co/kgs/wlcYWI

Sent from my SM-G928V using OB Talk mobile app

Kevin_Morrison

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Worland Wyoming
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Morrison
Member #

Hey all. New member here from Southern California. I'm new to overlanding, but not new to off-roading and camping. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 with the TRD Off-Road package. Currently that's the rig I plan to modify for my family of five, because I don't believe our 4Runner can accommodate all the gear we would need for extended adventures. Which brings me to my next topic.

My wife, 3 boys (9, 4, and 1), and I are planning a 2 week Southwest trip this summer. Going to start in Southern California and go to Southern Utah, Southern Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. Planning on camping a couple days at a time, and staying in hotels a day or two between each camping spot. My question is for those of you that have kids and/or live in the above mentioned states (minus California), what are the must see locations/must do activities? Some of the things I've come up with are: Arches National Park, the narrow gauge railroad out of Durango, the dinosaur resource center, the Grand Canyon, and bearizona. Nothing is locked in, so any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Also scenic drive, and mild trail suggestions would be great as well.

Currently my rig is bone stock with the exception of a snugtop. I plan to do some light modifying prior to the trip (i.e. 2.5"-3" lift kit, rock sliders, and CB communications, chuck box or drawer system, roof rack with awning, etc). I have an idea of what I want as far as brands/manufacturers/diy is concerned, but let's see what you guys suggest. Always looking to do things right the first time and not pay twice. Thanks for your help in advance.

Welcome from Central CA #0777

Sent from my XT1585 using OB Talk mobile app

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

This might be out of your way but the last time I took a similar trip we went Carlsbad Caverns National Park and it was awesome! Funny thing was I was talking about that very trip today at work. Enjoy the ride and explore the world!

New Mexico 88220
(575) 785-2232

https://g.co/kgs/wlcYWI

Sent from my SM-G928V using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks Ryan. I'll have to look into it and see if we can make that happen.

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound. If you can stretch it, I would suggest seeing Palo Duro Canyon or Big Bend in Texas!
I would love to check Texas out, but I don't think we'll have enough time to make it there. Trying to keep the travel time down to 6 hours a day. I have a 1 year old (currently 9 month old) that will probably be losing his mind by that point. I also want to spend at least a day or two at each stop we make.