New Member from Colorado Springs, CO

• HTML tutorial

KevinJ

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hi, I am been lurking around the forums for a week or two and decided to join. New to the overland setups, but have started working on my JKU. I have been considering a rack for some time and think I finally settled on a Frontrunner half rack, if anyone has a dissenting opinion, please speak up, I am finding it very difficult to make a decision.

Kevin

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Welcome to the site. I'm also from the CO Springs area (just moved from the Springs out to Peyton last Oct). I personally went with the Gobi rack, but the Frontrunner is nice as well.

KevinJ

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Welcome to the site. I'm also from the CO Springs area (just moved from the Springs out to Peyton last Oct). I personally went with the Gobi rack, but the Frontrunner is nice as well.
I love the Gobi and have spent weeks going back and forth, especially because the thought of drilling into the hard top makes me reach for the nearest whiskey bottle.... The deciding factor at this second (because I change my mind every hour it seems) is that we use a sunrider top during the summer and I dont want to lose the ability to flip it back whenever I want. I think the Frontrunner will still allow for this but the Gobi would make it more complicated. I think.... man its a tough call, they are both great.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

You can flip the Gobi rack up to lower a soft top and you can remove a hard top by sliding it out the back (with the Gobi ladders removed). I only have the hard top and have not bothered to take it off since the Gobi went on. I just pull the doors and freedom panels and roll like that. With the crazy spring weather here and the cold summer mornings (have to leave for trail runs pretty early to get to most of them at a reasonable time), I don't miss being topless that much. My kid actually prefers it with the top on and tube doors over being topless.

Drilling into the top was what crossed the Frontrunner off of my list. I was not so concerned about leaks or screwing it up as I was about how that might limit my options when wanting to sell it or the Jeep. It was just too permeant for me.

If I was looking at racks today, my top two choices would be Gobi and Kargo Master Congo Pro. The Gobi is still the better low profile fit, but the Congo Pro has some cool overland style options.

As for the sig picture, hover over your user name in the top right corner of the page, then select the Signature link in the left column of the pop up.

KevinJ

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

You can flip the Gobi rack up to lower a soft top and you can remove a hard top by sliding it out the back (with the Gobi ladders removed). I only have the hard top and have not bothered to take it off since the Gobi went on. I just pull the doors and freedom panels and roll like that. With the crazy spring weather here and the cold summer mornings (have to leave for trail runs pretty early to get to most of them at a reasonable time), I don't miss being topless that much. My kid actually prefers it with the top on and tube doors over being topless.

Drilling into the top was what crossed the Frontrunner off of my list. I was not so concerned about leaks or screwing it up as I was about how that might limit my options when wanting to sell it or the Jeep. It was just too permeant for me.

If I was looking at racks today, my top two choices would be Gobi and Kargo Master Congo Pro. The Gobi is still the better low profile fit, but the Congo Pro has some cool overland style options.

As for the sig picture, hover over your user name in the top right corner of the page, then select the Signature link in the left column of the pop up.
Great, thanks for the info!

KevinJ

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

@Merkwier and @KevinJ welcome to both of you! We have a meet and greet camping trip coming up in Canon City next weekend (April 28-29) and it would be great to meet you guys! Link to Rally Point info and RSVP: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/colorado-meet-and-greet-camping-trip/

As for the roof rack, I don't have a JKU, but the people I've talked to with one really seem to like the Front Runner rack!
Thanks for the info about the Front Runner. Unfortunately we will not be able to make it this weekend, I wish we could. I will definitely try and make it another time during the spring/summer. Thanks for the invite.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Thanks for the info about the Front Runner. Unfortunately we will not be able to make it this weekend, I wish we could. I will definitely try and make it another time during the spring/summer. Thanks for the invite.
Not a problem! If you're on Facebook, request to join the Rocky Mountain OB group- notifications for meet-ups are normally posted there and it's easy to get notified.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Welcome from Westcliffe. In case you or any other Colorado members aren't aware, there is a recovery group called Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery. If you get in trouble, we are on FB, and we are dispatched by many local law enforcement and emergency management agencies. All volunteer, no charge, we are here if you need us!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Welcome aboard, I find myself exploring the southern front range more
And more, Colorado Springs has so much so close, like it's in your one back yard!!! Hope to get the chance to met-up and mostly get the chance
To go out and explore.