New member from Cola, SC

• HTML tutorial

fan of fanboys

Rank III

Influencer II

New member checking in. Never did any overlanding before but want to start asap. Have a 99 4runner. Like to start with day/weekend trips of low skill level. Just enjoy the drive, scenery, and outdoors

Current truck needs a few small pieces of scheduled maintenance soon (timing belt, water pump, LBJs, and knock control sensor and harness. It is my DD and no issues except those things just listed that are due or will be due soon

Once that's done I can start on my overland wish list of essentials and then build from there as needed.

If anyone is ever doing weekend rides within few hours of me hit me up as I'll go if I'm free.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Ditch

fan of fanboys

Rank III

Influencer II

Here is my essential wish list of items I have either ordered or plan to order, in no particular order

recovery strap

hi lift

shovel

chopping axe (owned this for years so no link)

inflator

deflator

tire repair kit

fix a flat

generic first aid kit, flashlight (have not decided which I want to order read but reading a thread on here about), and fire extinguisher

socket set

hoping that covers bare essentials for going out and goal is as I learn how deep I want to go, what type of area I will be driving in, etc I can then grown based on needs

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Welcome on board, hope you enjoy the outings and craziness! I like your 4Runner but personally I'd lose the brushguard on the front end. The added 150# weight isn't going to give you much in return. If we lived in Texas or Oklahoma and you were driving through the brush and hedges/cactus then the brush guard would potentially add value. Most everything I do is on dirt/gravel or grass covered trails (old fire roads) and RARELY do I ever push my way through plants, trees, etc.

You also lose some approach angle on the front end (I know its only 4-6 inches) but that has been very important for me in my brief travels thru AZ, CA and NM. When I'm camping and travelling in our "neck of the woods" (Southern Appalachian Mtns.) I've never had any problems with the stock bumper... I do travel (on occasion) with some guys who have steel bumpers, winches, and light bars plus roof racks and so on but I've never been with anyone who's actually had to use them in our area.

Reactions: fan of fanboys

fan of fanboys

Rank III

Influencer II

Welcome on board, hope you enjoy the outings and craziness! I like your 4Runner but personally I'd lose the brushguard on the front end. The added 150# weight isn't going to give you much in return. If we lived in Texas or Oklahoma and you were driving through the brush and hedges/cactus then the brush guard would potentially add value. Most everything I do is on dirt/gravel or grass covered trails (old fire roads) and RARELY do I ever push my way through plants, trees, etc.

You also lose some approach angle on the front end (I know its only 4-6 inches) but that has been very important for me in my brief travels thru AZ, CA and NM. When I'm camping and travelling in our "neck of the woods" (Southern Appalachian Mtns.) I've never had any problems with the stock bumper... I do travel (on occasion) with some guys who have steel bumpers, winches, and light bars plus roof racks and so on but I've never been with anyone who's actually had to use them in our area.
Probably a good idea. Previous owner put on. I'll take off to see if I notice difference. I like look but not attached to it. Thanks!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Probably a good idea. Previous owner put on. I'll take off to see if I notice difference. I like look but not attached to it. Thanks!

Sorry if my earlier comment was a bit critical. In thinking back, the brush guard isnt a make or break issue. For me, at this point, I just try to focus on weight reduction for trail performance and gas milage for my travels. As an almost obsessive trait, I consistently review everything I pack, carry, and use on each trip.

If it was useful, it goes on the next trip, if not - take it off, remove from the gear list, etc. There are things, as I'm sure you know, that all (most) of us carry that we rarely or never use such as a shovel, recovery gear, tools... but most of that stuff is kept for the odd chance of encountering a "tight spot".

My guess is that most of the travels you'll engage in while in the SE USA won't be significantly impacted by a reduced approach angle anyway. And you may not notice much difference in performance with or without that one component (brush guard). My thought was that metal guard combined with all the other stuff to we tend to carry just adds up to extra weight.

Sorry if my comment put you off...
Didn't mean to be a "Richard" with my comments

fan of fanboys

Rank III

Influencer II

Sorry if my earlier comment was a bit critical. In thinking back, the brush guard isnt a make or break issue. For me, at this point, I just try to focus on weight reduction for trail performance and gas milage for my travels. As an almost obsessive trait, I consistently review everything I pack, carry, and use on each trip.

If it was useful, it goes on the next trip, if not - take it off, remove from the gear list, etc. There are things, as I'm sure you know, that all (most) of us carry that we rarely or never use such as a shovel, recovery gear, tools... but most of that stuff is kept for the odd chance of encountering a "tight spot".

My guess is that most of the travels you'll engage in while in the SE USA won't be significantly impacted by a reduced approach angle anyway. And you may not notice much difference in performance with or without that one component (brush guard). My thought was that metal guard combined with all the other stuff to we tend to carry just adds up to extra weight.

Sorry if my comment put you off...
Didn't mean to be a "Richard" with my comments
I didn't take negatively at all! I'm a self-professed newb. And you're the second one to mention brush guard on here, plus I saw on a 4runner forum as general advice too.

You're 100% right about it all adding up. And if I can make $100 off selling it then I can put that towards new battery or alternator!

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

One final thought on your posted shopping/wish list. You might want to check w others about the air compressor you selected on Amazon.

The one identified is, I think, a little light weight. I'd suggest doing a google search for recommeded compressors for 4 wheeling. Duty cycle is critical and there is loads of info on various internet, 4x4 sites, to help make a good decision.

I use a Viair 400P which is highly rated and it has served me well - but last year it failed on me in the Mojave Road/desert. Of course it was on New Years weekend so i couldn't get anything going with Amazon or the manufacturer. So I ended up limping (low speed to minimize tire heat buildup) into a small town (at off road tire pressure). So they all have the potential to fail or fall short. My bet is that doing homework and research is time well invested.

fan of fanboys

Rank III

Influencer II

One final thought on your posted shopping/wish list. You might want to check w others about the air compressor you selected on Amazon.

The one identified is, I think, a little light weight. I'd suggest doing a google search for recommeded compressors for 4 wheeling. Duty cycle is critical and there is loads of info on various internet, 4x4 sites, to help make a good decision.

I use a Viair 400P which is highly rated and it has served me well - but last year it failed on me in the Mojave Road/desert. Of course it was on New Years weekend so i couldn't get anything going with Amazon or the manufacturer. So I ended up limping (low speed to minimize tire heat buildup) into a small town (at off road tire pressure). So they all have the potential to fail or fall short. My bet is that doing homework and research is time well invested.
Great advice, will definitely follow. Thanks!