New Member from Arizona!

• HTML tutorial

Down2Mob

Rank IV

Traveler I

Chandler, Arizona
Member #

Hello and it's great to finally start posting in the forums! I am currently overlanding out of Chandler, Arizona in a Jeep JK and ADV trailer. Looking to sell this setup and get a 2017 Tacoma with four wheel camper and convert to full time living on the road next year! I have a lot to do to prepare, so most of my posts/research will be based on that. I also want to utilize this forum to meetup with fellow overlanders when I set off to Travel North America, Canada, and Mexico!

Attachments

Reactions: Chadlyb

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Welcome, I'm down south in Tucson. We have a very active membership here in Arizona. Come say hello in the Arizona Overlanders thread, too!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Welcome!

A friend of mine does not like his 2017 Tacoma. Something about the 16-17 being under powered and gearing is not great. So you might ask about that. A four wheel camping setup bolted to the frame vs bed would be the way I would do it. I like the side door vs back a lot better. I went to Baja 2 years ago with a guy that had that setup and it was super nice!!!!

As Brien said. Join the other thread.

Down2Mob

Rank IV

Traveler I

Chandler, Arizona
Member #

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

brien - cool man, that is great to hear! I will definitely make a post in the arizona forum, and hopefully we can get together on the trail one of these days!

1Louder - Ya I have heard people complain about the power. My roommate has a 2017 tacoma so I have been driving it and thinking about if I want one daily. I honestly think it has tons of power. The power band is weird for sure, this motor likes to rev, and can feel sluggish at lower RPMS, but when it's revving out its great. I am a former motocross racer, and prefer 2 strokes, so I kind of like a motor that revs high and is semi conservative at lower RPM, but thats just me.

I agree completely about the flatbed vs. slide in, but the extra cost is tough to justify. From the campers I have priced out, the flat bed will be $7k more for all of the same features, and that isnt including the cost of the flat bed. The side door on the flat bed does make it more desireable, because the overall layout seems like it gives you much more space. This decision will come later down the road, but I appreciate these points!

Down2Mob

Rank IV

Traveler I

Chandler, Arizona
Member #

Jeff Graham - DUDE that is going to be one of the worst parts! Lol I decided I am going to do an overland wave. Anyone with an overland kitted rig gets a wave. hahaa

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Hello and it's great to finally start posting in the forums! I am currently overlanding out of Chandler, Arizona in a Jeep JK and ADV trailer. Looking to sell this setup and get a 2017 Tacoma with four wheel camper and convert to full time living on the road next year! I have a lot to do to prepare, so most of my posts/research will be based on that. I also want to utilize this forum to meetup with fellow overlanders when I set off to Travel North America, Canada, and Mexico!
Hello Down2Mob and welcome to OB! Nice looking rig! I live full time out of my Jeep and know you'll have a blast. Safe travels man and enjoy those open roads!

Down2Mob

Rank IV

Traveler I

Chandler, Arizona
Member #

Thanks Jake! we met briefly at Overland Expo (shook hands over the fence haha) I was actually there when you applied your OB emblem (a moment in OB history!) but I don't expect you to remember. Judging by your video of the expo it looks like you ran into a ton of fans! I have been following you for a while now and love your vlogs. You are a big reason that I want to travel in my vehicle full time! I got a mavic pro a few months ago and have been starting to make a lot more videos. anyways, thanks for the compliment and motivation through your lifestyle!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Thanks, Jake! we met briefly at Overland Expo (shook hands over the fence haha) I was actually there when you applied your OB emblem (a moment in OB history!) but I don't expect you to remember. Judging by your video of the expo it looks like you ran into a ton of fans! I have been following you for a while now and love your vlogs. You are a big reason that I want to travel in my vehicle full time! I got a Mavic pro a few months ago and have been starting to make a lot more videos. anyways, thanks for the compliment and motivation through your lifestyle!
Yes, I do remember and thank you for your kind words! Expo was a blast and I did meet many new folks which all were so welcoming. I'll be back for sure! I'm glad my lifestyle has motivated you to get out and explore. I really like my Mavic, use it all the time, and is so much fun to fly and capture some awesome footage. Thank you for your support and for following my journey!

Down2Mob

Rank IV

Traveler I

Chandler, Arizona
Member #

Ya I will be going every year from here on out. I really want to do something similar to what you are doing meeting so many different people across the US, because I will be traveling by myself with my dog too. Ya The mavic has been amazing so far. well I hope our paths cross someday again man, until then I will be following the channel and your progress!

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Ya I will be going every year from here on out. I really want to do something similar to what you are doing meeting so many different people across the US because I will be traveling by myself with my dog too. Ya The Mavic has been amazing so far. well, I hope our paths cross someday again man, until then I will be following the channel and your progress!
I plan on going every year also. Good luck on your road trip - it's a lot of fun!

I'll be having my AZ state visit in October so If you haven’t already, please complete my 50 State Road Trip Questionnaire so I will have your contact info when I’m in your area. I use the completed questionnaires to meet up with the people you see with me in my videos!

Here is the link to the questionnaire which I hope you will complete - https://goo.gl/forms/ZopZP74rkYqGTBhh1

Thank you for your support and following my journey!

-Jake

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I plan on going every year also. Good luck on your road trip - it's a lot of fun!

I'll be having my AZ state visit in October so If you haven’t already, please complete my 50 State Road Trip Questionnaire so I will have your contact info when I’m in your area. I use the completed questionnaires to meet up with the people you see with me in my videos!

Here is the link to the questionnaire which I hope you will complete - https://goo.gl/forms/ZopZP74rkYqGTBhh1

Thank you for your support and following my journey!

-Jake
Awesome, I wasn't even aware of your questionnaire! I'll fill it out as well in the off chance you make it down to the Tucson area while you are in AZ

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

Morning and welcome from Montana, I used to live in Phoenix and spent a lot time exploring all the old mine shafts, still have a binder filled with trail maps from across AZ. Once again welcome....