Rank 0

Contributor I

San diego
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stamper
Hi all,

New member here from San Diego, California! I exhibited at Overland Expo West for the company I work for and was very inspired by the show. I am a noob to this, but we would love to start going on adventures in our vehicle.

Some people may call us crazy, but we bought our 2019 Acura RDX with SH-AWD for the plan to camp in the future and go down trails, etc.

At Overland Expo, after doing the Land Rover experience, the drivers were saying how most under estimate Acuras awd system as its pretty advanced and I should be able to handle trails.

Im thinking about getting a roof tent on the vehicle.

Currently the car has 20" wheels with 45 profile tires. I assume if I put higher profile tires that will help increase ground clearance?

And since there isn't much out there for Acuras, i was curious to hear your advice.

Im excited to e-meet you all and chat further!!

Attachments

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Remember, if you get a 1" taller tire, your vehicle is only raised by half an inch.

There won't be much in the way of lift kits and whatnot. But I think with some 18" wheels, some moderate All-terrains, you would get around decently well.

Jdmtunerguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

San diego
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stamper
Remember, if you get a 1" taller tire, your vehicle is only raised by half an inch.

There won't be much in the way of lift kits and whatnot. But I think with some 18" wheels, some moderate All-terrains, you would get around decently well.
Awesome good to know!!
Between profile sizes, what is an about an inch taller?
50 to 60? Or is it different for all sizes.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

Hi all,

New member here from San Diego, California! I exhibited at Overland Expo West for the company I work for and was very inspired by the show. I am a noob to this, but we would love to start going on adventures in our vehicle.

Some people may call us crazy, but we bought our 2019 Acura RDX with SH-AWD for the plan to camp in the future and go down trails, etc.

At Overland Expo, after doing the Land Rover experience, the drivers were saying how most under estimate Acuras awd system as its pretty advanced and I should be able to handle trails.

Currently the car has 20" wheels with 45 profile tires. I assume if I put higher profile tires that will help increase ground clearance?

And since there isn't much out there for Acuras, i was curious to hear your advice.

Welcome! Glad to have you with us!

Reactions: Jdmtunerguy

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Awesome good to know!!
Between profile sizes, what is an about an inch taller?
50 to 60? Or is it different for all sizes.
I'd recommend popping onto a tire calculator and comparing tire sizes.

It's going to take some research to find out what size you want, what tires are available in that size etc

Unfortunately for you, there won't be endless threads online about your specific vehicle. Also kind of makes it cooler, being the first and wading into unknown territory.

I used to have a Gen 2 Acura MDX with SHAWD and while I never pushed it, I did it get into some soft sand and it did just fine.

Jdmtunerguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

San diego
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stamper
I'd recommend popping onto a tire calculator and comparing tire sizes.

It's going to take some research to find out what size you want, what tires are available in that size etc

Unfortunately for you, there won't be endless threads online about your specific vehicle. Also kind of makes it cooler, being the first and wading into unknown territory.

I used to have a Gen 2 Acura MDX with SHAWD and while I never pushed it, I did it get into some soft sand and it did just fine.
Awesome thanks for the tip. I definitely like the idea of noone ha ing done this but it could make it a bit frightening at times haha!

Reactions: MoreGone

AdvPass

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6FCS
Your Acura is a cousin to my Passport and, like you, I've been dipping my toes in the shallow end of the overloading pool. There are a few of us out there trying to make these rigs as capable as possible and I'm truly impressed with the tech hidden within.

You might be interested in following offroad_acura_mdx and jondz_adventuring on Instagram for some inspiration.

Enjoy the journey and let me know if you get the itch and need a second rig to tag along.

Reactions: jramonv69

Jdmtunerguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

San diego
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stamper
Your Acura is a cousin to my Passport and, like you, I've been dipping my toes in the shallow end of the overloading pool. There are a few of us out there trying to make these rigs as capable as possible and I'm truly impressed with the tech hidden within.

You might be interested in following offroad_acura_mdx and jondz_adventuring on Instagram for some inspiration.

Enjoy the journey and let me know if you get the itch and need a second rig to tag along.
Thanks!!

My first step is to hopefully get some smaller wheels and large AT tires

jramonv69

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Chula Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Villa
Member #

Hi all,

hello I m also from San Diego and new to Overlanding

AdvPass

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6FCS
Thanks!!

My first step is to hopefully get some smaller wheels and large AT tires
This is an excellent place to start and I can attest to the improvement it makes. I got lucky and found a dealer that had already done the research sourcing my wheel and tire combo and I've been very happy with the results. You'll find lots of great info on this website and other's about peoples experiences with various tires. You'll want to think about the type of driving you expect doing and find a tire that matches your needs. There is no such thing as the perfect tire, and as you gain capability in one condition, you're likely giving up something for another condition. Is road noise a concern for you? Is improved off road capability worth decreased wet road performance? Do you need to drive in snow? These are just some of the concerns that you'll want to take into consideration.

I have the RidgeGrapplers from Nitto on my Passport and I'm happy with their performance given the areas I drive.

I'm now at the point of trying to decide how I want to carry a full sized spare since the space under the floor in the Passport won't handle the larger wheel. I'm leaning towards the hitch mount that offroad_acura_mdx is using since the idea of getting the tire up on my roof seems daunting.

Jdmtunerguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

San diego
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stamper
What size wheel and tire are you utilizing? Is it a honda wheel? My stock ground clearance is 8.2 so we are pretty similar

AdvPass

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Burbank, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6FCS
I have an 18" York from Black Rhino, an aftermarket wheel. The tires are 265/60 R18. I did a complete write up on them for the Passport Forum that shows how they fit. And here's the post I did a while ago of my "build" here on OB.

Last edited: