Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

Has anyone heard the rumors that you will be rejected for oversized tires when Massachusetts changes their inspection rules later this year?

I know currently you can have oversized tires and you are allowed to have your tires exposed if the vehicle is equipped with 4 wheel drive, but that it will be "illegal" to have oversized tires, a lift (there's a mathematical equation now) and/or tires exposed in the future.

C7mb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts
Member #

I have not heard about this for trucks/rigs but I know for people in the sports car community, there is concern about undercarriage videos, cat inspections, and a full ban on aftermarket parts. I will be waiting to see what happens, and if I get rejected or sent to a MAC center, I will deal with it then.

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

Not sure about tires yet, but the lift math is: wheel base x wheel track / 2200. I have a Jeep JKU (116” x 61.9” / 2200) = 3.26” of allowed lift on my Jeep. I have a 3” lift, I’m curious if they are including any lift you may gather from larger tires. I’m trying to find info on the updated tire law.

There’s also a petition floating around, here is a link to it: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/478/014/506/dont-let-massachusetts-kill-car-and-truck-culture/?taf_id=41505846&cid=fb_na#bbfb=458363597

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

C7mb

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts
Member #

Not sure about tires yet, but the lift math is: wheel base x wheel track / 2200. I have a Jeep JKU (116” x 61.9” / 2200) = 3.26” of allowed lift on my Jeep. I have a 3” lift, I’m curious if they are including any lift you may gather from larger tires. I’m trying to find info on the updated tire law.

There’s also a petition floating around, here is a link to it: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/478/014/506/dont-let-massachusetts-kill-car-and-truck-culture/?taf_id=41505846&cid=fb_na#bbfb=458363597

That lift math looks like a proposed change to the law that will be put into place in October, not the law itself. I doubt they would allow for any lift at all, considering their stance on other modifications.

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

That lift math looks like a proposed change to the law that will be put into place in October, not the law itself. I doubt they would allow for any lift at all, considering their stance on other modifications.
The proposed change is from 2200 to 1400 allowing 5 inches of lift (using my vehicles features).

Looks like Maine might have a surge in out of state registrations if this all goes through :)