Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Any recommendations for new light bulbs for Wrangler headlights? I have an 07' JKU, and the OEM headlights are notoriously awful. Not looking to replace the entire light, just looking for newer, better bulbs than the stock ones. This is one of the options I've been looking at.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I can't see any images, but if you do make any changes the bulbs you put in must be of the same style to be legal. So you can swap in a brighter H11 bulb to replace an old or dim H11, but you can't modify an H9 to fit an H11 housing/plug and run it on the street. Likewise, you can't put an HID in a halogen housing and run on the street.

If you change the housing, whatever you install must be DOT-compliant; be cautious with this because many cheap aftermarket parts makers have started stamping their stuff "DOT" when it has not been certified or tested to be DOT-compliant.

Reactions: Michael and ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I can't see any images, but if you do make any changes the bulbs you put in must be of the same style to be legal. So you can swap in a brighter H11 bulb to replace an old or dim H11, but you can't modify an H9 to fit an H11 housing/plug and run it on the street. Likewise, you can't put an HID in a halogen housing and run on the street.

If you change the housing, whatever you install must be DOT-compliant; be cautious with this because many cheap aftermarket parts makers have started stamping their stuff "DOT" when it has not been certified or tested to be DOT-compliant.
Good to know. I'll do my research before I change anything with the headlights.

Reactions: Michael

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I just received a package of Sylvania xtravision yesterday, supposed to be better than oem but not as good as the ultra that you posted. From my research it appears that the brighter and better lighting has a shorter life, so get a couple sets and carry the spare. Oh and don't touch the glass.

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I just received a package of Sylvania xtravision yesterday, supposed to be better than oem but not as good as the ultra that you posted. From my research it appears that the brighter and better lighting has a shorter life, so get a couple sets and carry the spare. Oh and don't touch the glass.
I've been reading that too. I may reconsider which bulb I'll get. I'll look at the xtravision. Thanks.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I used to have an old car with sealed beam lights, there used to be some sealed-beam replacements with brighter filaments. I installed some and noticed that I had much better visibility, but I was replacing lights almost three times more frequently.

Brighter = shorter lifespan.

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I swapped in the IPF lens and used regular Sylvania bulbs. The difference was immediately noticeable. The stock lens was horrible in comparison. An improvement over stock lighting is money well spent.

Skijeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Black Diamond, WA
Member #

after many jeeps and many headlight bulbs, i went with the Trucklite (now Rigid) LED headlights and it is like night and day! well worth the extra $.