New Industry Standard Winch? (Superwinch EXP Series)

• HTML tutorial

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Alright, so we all know that Warn has pretty much the top line of winches for a while. However, that is changing!

For the purpose of this thread, I'll be comparing the Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum integrated to the Superwinch EXP 12-S Integrated.

Right now this is all preliminary information from official releases and obtained information. I should be getting a EXP 12-S non-integrated(remote mount control box) fairly soon, and then will be doing a full review. Please note, this thread should NOT be considered a review.

The current listed "expected" ship date for the Superwinch EXP series is August 1st.

Alright, so lets start off with durability. The Zeon is rated to IP68, using various seals, while the EXP is fully potted providing an IP69K rating.

Basic specs:

MSRP:
Zeon - 1809.99(Amazon & Jet) & 1879.99(other sites)
EXP - $1481.84(Superwinch website)

Weight:
Zeon - 86lbs(Amazon listed shipping weight. non-official)
EXP - 90lbs(Listed on product page)

Line Length:
Zeon - 80ft Spydura regular synthetic
EXP - 100ft superwinch synthetic

Models available:
Zeon - 8k, 10k, 12k(12k is the information found on this page)
EXP - 8k, 10k, 12k(12k is the information found on this page). 14k and 18k models are expected to be released at SEMA 2017.

LED Task lighting:
Zeon - No
EXP - Yes (Lighting is blue when winch is ready, turns red when overheating or excessive amp draw)

Remote:
Zeon - Wireless remote standard
EXP - Wireless receiver built into winch(the potted electronics make it difficult to add on later without compromising the protection against water), wireless remote is optional

Motor:
Zeon - 12V series wound
EXP - 12V series wound

Geartrain:
Zeon - 3 stage planetary
EXP - 3 stage planetary

Gear Ratio:
Zeon - 162:1
EXP - 154.29:1

Minimum required battery CCA:
Zeon - 650cca
EXP - 450cca

Battery leads:
Zeon - 2 gauge 72"
EXP - 2 gauge 96"

Coating:
Zeon - "flat black powder-coated"
EXP - "Exclusive Chromate Bath Powder Coating"

Drum Diameter/Length:
Zeon - 80mm/229mm
EXP - 63.4mm/218.5mm

Brake:
Zeon - "Automatic mechanical cone"
EXP - "Custom Load Holding Gearbox End" Listed as "relocated brake keeping heat at bay" for synthetic rope

Clutch:
Zeon - "Rotating ring gear"
EXP - "Auto-Engage Twist (patent pending)"

Manufacturing origin:
Zeon - Reported as USA
EXP - Made in brand new USA factory

Bonus features:
Zeon - The Zeon winches may be used both as integrated and non-integrated. To relocate the control box you will require the relocation kit sold separately
EXP - includes 2 built in Picatinny rails for lights, cameras, etc; has 2 accessory power ports for lighting, air compressors, etc. " Since your winch is already wired for significant loads, why not take advantage of all that power? Check out the Superwinch auxiliary fused power ports capable of running lights or air compressors - it’s power where you need it."; Winch and lighting automatically turns off after set period of time.

Line speeds/amp draw:

0lbs:
Zeon -32.9fpm/57amps
EXP - 44fpm/74amps

2000lbs:
Zeon - 15.1fpm/132amps
EXP - 22.5fpm/165amps

4000lbs:
Zeon - 9.9fpm/200amps
EXP - 16.5fpm/230amps

6000lbs:
Zeon - 8.9fpm/261amps
EXP - 13fpm/315amps

8000lbs:
Zeon - 7.8fpm/321amps
EXP - 10.5fpm/380amps

10000lbs:
Zeon - 5.4fpm/381amps
EXP - 8fpm/460amps

12000lbs:
Zeon - 4.5fpm/446amps
EXP - 6fpm/530amps

You can find the official page for the Zeon 12-S here:
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/ZEON_12-S_Pltnm.jsp

You can find the official page for the Superwinch EXP Series here:
https://superwinch.com/collections/exp-series-expedition-grade-by-superwinch
And the Superwinch EXP 12-S specifically, here:
https://superwinch.com/collections/exp-series-expedition-grade-by-superwinch/products/superwinch-exp12si

Alright, so this is all of the information I currently have, and I am not willing to do any official form of recommendation or review at this time, but I will be doing a full, extensive review(with lots of pictures), once I have one in my possession. The info is here, you can deduct from it what you will.

shorawitz

Rank I

Contributor III

Come on man! Some of us are chomping at the bit for info on the EXP!!! Those that have this winch, I'd REALLY like to here the skinny on your experience with this winch. I am this close || to pulling the trigger on a new winch and this one seems to have "The Right Stuff!"

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

Come on man! Some of us are chomping at the bit for info on the EXP!!! Those that have this winch, I'd REALLY like to here the skinny on your experience with this winch. I am this close || to pulling the trigger on a new winch and this one seems to have "The Right Stuff!"
Unfortunately, with the release of their EXPs, they also set up a brand new factory, which they haven't had the smoothest experience with.

As it stands, the integrated EXPs have been out for a while, but still released significantly later than they had planned. The non-integrated EXPs are still pending. Unfortunately, for both this build, and my next build, I'll be using a non-integrated EXP, so I haven't gotten my hands on one yet. I have been told I am on the list for the first batch to be shipped.

Basically, I don't have one yet, but I'm still super excited, and am set to get one as soon as they start coming off the production line.

If you'd like more frequent updates, be sure to follow along on Instragram(no account required, just bookmark the page www.instagram.com/theskiingjeep in your browser).

ShaunM78

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aurora, OR
Member #

Unfortunately, with the release of their EXPs, they also set up a brand new factory, which they haven't had the smoothest experience with.

If you'd like more frequent updates, be sure to follow along on Instragram(no account required, just bookmark the page www.instagram.com/theskiingjeep in your browser).
Go Superwinch! But anxious to see the end results of this. I’m still running an older EP9.0 Superwinch with synthetic and a new Tiger Shark 9500 but the options on the EXP seem very cool.

16’ Wrangler
01’ E350 4x4
94’ Discovery

Reactions: KDC

Traveler I

Hey guys I'm new to the group. A little something on Superwinch exp. I was fortunate enough to tour the new manufacturing plant and to purchase a brand new EXP 12,000. From my experience. These guys rock!!!!! Specifically Martin Now. These guys showed me around gave me a grand tour and gave me a great deal on a new EXP 12 000 for the front of my cj5. I'm gonna mount it up this weekend and give it a good test. I'll update all that I experience with it.
William

Reactions: 4WDCanoe

shorawitz

Rank I

Contributor III

I couldn’t wait! Bought my EXP12si and should be here Wednesday. I think I’ll be doing a video since I don’t see many on YouTube these days. Any requests? I have a LOD Destroyer full width that provide the base.

Reactions: William Dreher

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Please post up when you do the review, I have been researching this exact winch for my coming up new build,and very interested in your review. If it’s as good as my superwinch epi 9.0s that has been flawless for over 10 years then It will be an awesome addition to any rig.

Reactions: William Dreher

Traveler I

Please post up when you do the review, I have been researching this exact winch for my coming up new build,and very interested in your review. If it’s as good as my superwinch epi 9.0s that has been flawless for over 10 years then It will be an awesome addition to any rig.
Got it all mounted up today and ran a hundred and twenty foot of cable in , in no time flat. It appears to be real smooth and is fairly quiet. The integration of power outlets and led lighting is a nice addition. I'll post more as I use it. Hoping for a snow run next weekend.

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
Will be watching! By the way nice looking CJ.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

TheSkiingJeep

Rank 0

Contributor II

I'll be looking forward to opinions from others!

Because of the way timing worked out, I still don't have a non-integrated in my hands yet, and on top of that, it'll be going on the new build which needs some slight modification to be able to fit it. So I'm still a couple weeks out(hopefully) from doing a review myself.

Traveler I

Well I finally was able to use my new EXP. All I can say is wow. This thing literally out worked a competitor 10k winch. I found a full size Ford stuck and high centered on a log and in a ditch. His situation is as follows. 2 foot of snow,Bald tires, no chains, no Superwinch EXP (lol) no front drive line, no head lights, no jack or tools. This guy was not smart. Either way the exp pulled him out with no problems at all. The exp is not the quietest winch I've ever owned but it pulls hard with little amp draw, it appeared to "shift gears" as it got loaded up heavy. Line speed is realy good,it never got so much as warm after a nice long hard pull.
Now the price is up there but for the piece of mind and confidence it gives well its worth it.
FYI the internal led lights are a pretty cool touch too.
If you guys have any questions shoot me a line I'd be happy to answer.
William

Attachments

KDC

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lawton, OK
Member #

Yes. I love my superwinch. I have an lp10000. It was the price point I wanted and it is way more than I will need for my toy. The exp looks like it is going to be an easy win over warn