Darxus

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pelham, NH
First Name
Darxus
Last Name
C.
I've always loved playing in the woods. I have some experience with stuff like wilderness backpacking. I'd been itching to get a truck for a couple years, my car died, I bought a truck. It took me a couple months to find, but I'm still shocked by how much I got everything I wanted in this truck. The Off Road package comes with a locking rear diff, A-TRACK off road traction control, 110v outlet in the bed, and I guess a thin front skid plate. And it has a bed cap / camper shell. It's even my favorite of the ~7 colors. (Yes, it has a new frame.)

I've done a couple probably short and tame off-roading trips, uploaded videos of both:
First:

Second:

I've spent three nights sleeping in it. Really looking forward to a mattress.

People seem to agree the upgraded stock front tow hook with the Off Road package is okay for recovery (and the aftermarket options do not excite me). I have a shovel, fire extinguisher, air pump, tire plug kit, and snatch strap in the truck. I've ordered a tree saver, shackle receiver, another shackle, and a manual 3 ton rope winch (Wyeth-Scott, with extension handle). I need to properly put a first aid kit together (I have the stuff). I need to pick a chainsaw.

I've ordered a 4" foam full/double tri-fold mattress. Which I plan to put on plywood and 2x6's using the notches that the bed comes with, just over the wheel wells. I ordered a waterproof breathable cover, which I'm hoping will be adequate to avoid mold. I'm wondering if it's worth drilling some ventilation holes through the plywood. And I want to add some way to lock the plywood to the tailgate, to give me some more secure storage. (I had luggage stolen out of the back of my car while hiking once.)

I'm itching to get rock sliders, and having a tough time picking. Probably want a kick out. And bolt on. And I'll get a Hi-Lift jack to go with them.

Other than that, I'm trying to restrain myself on upgrades. I think I'm more interested in driving across the country (and fuel efficiency) than making this the best rock crawler it can be. Although I'd still like a better understanding of upgrade options, and priority. A 3" lift and 33" tires sound like fun, but bad for fuel efficiency, and can be expensive, probably especially with the re-gearing for maintaining off-roading capability with 33's, so I'm not planning to do it ever. I do eventually want some beefier skid plates. I'm not planning to get an electric winch / bumpers. Stock tire size is 265/70R16 = 30.6". Got it with "touring" tires. So I'll need to do something about that eventually. I guess after I put some wear on them, or break them, I'd like to get a set of five 32" tires, which should fit (265/75/16), a fifth matching wheel, and do five wheel tire rotation.

And I'm trying to figure out how best to slow rust. Wire brush on a drill to remove it, zinc (cold galvanizing) spray paint, then regular spray paint? (Avoiding the rubberized stuff, so I can actually see rust bubbles?)

So now I'm trying to figure out where to go with it. I'm retired early, so the options are overwhelming.

It looks like there aren't a lot of you in New England? The last meetup I see was in Connecticut in June? I'd love to do something like that.

I have a ham radio license. I passed all three tests at once, so I have a sequential extra call sign. Haven't done a lot with it, only have a UV-5R.

I found this forum from this:

Both sides of that sound very appealing to me.

tacoma-20190911_184359.jpg

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch