New HAM needs help from Old HAM

• HTML tutorial

Overland Rich

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA
Member #

Hi all, I’m an OB member who just got his ham license. I’m just waiting for my call sign to hit the database! I however, know nothing about ham radio except the test questions.

I’ve been digging through online finding lists of simplex frequencies and local repeaters to program my radio. I bought a cheap HTT (Baofeng GT-3TP Mark III 1/4/8 watt) for now and then will upgrade to a rig mounted mobile unit once I know what the heck I’m doing.

Could use some help understanding frequencies, where to try to grab a frequency with no traffic so we can use it for rig to rig communications. My wife is working on her license too so we’d like to establish a frequency that is a family go to for emergencies etc... Reading through the band plans and repeater book listings is a bit overwhelming, could use some help if there are any experienced HAM’s on here that can provide direction.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7YODA5 and Tray

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
My advice is to always get involved with your local club. There's so much information they can provide to help you make these decisions and also to show you proper operating procedure.

Plus it can be a good bit of fun participating in different events and learning from the old timers.

Look up the band plan online, there should be a detailed list with repeater inputs, outputs, and simplex frequencies listed by the ARRL. 146.520 is the national calling frequency and 0.030+/- will be a good place to start for personal frequencies. But you might find that there's a locally agreed upon frequency in use in your area like 147.555 in my area.

Reactions: CTO1Mike