Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
On December 1st, 2020, the ARRL is changing their VE software for printing tests. The new software change is going to move to a paperless test session. So a lot of clubs will start offering virtual exams on a regular basis.

Right now www.ssra.net is offering online virtual testing once a week. Call signs are coming in the fallowing day from what I am hearing.

if any one is interested I have put together a study material list to get licensed in under a week and with very little work you can go from no license to General. Just DM me and I will forward the information along.

Last edited:

KM4DWS

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Arden, NC
First Name
Kaleb
Last Name
Marske
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4DWS
In January 2021 the ARRL is changing their VE software for printing tests. The new software change is going to move to a paperless test session. So a lot of clubs will start offering virtual exams on a regular basis.

Right now www.ssra.net is offering online virtual testing once a week. Call signs are coming in the fallowing day from what I am hearing.

if any one is interested I have put together a study material list to get licensed in under a week and with very little work you can go from no license to General. Just DM me and I will forward the information along.
Thank you! Sending DM.

Reactions: M Rose

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

In January 2021 the ARRL is changing their VE software for printing tests. The new software change is going to move to a paperless test session. So a lot of clubs will start offering virtual exams on a regular basis.

That would be fantastic to have the study material. However I’m not smart enough to send a DM from my phone.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I was planning to take my test before all this Q came about. I briefly looked at the online testing and it seemed the requirements for the test environment were pretty strict. I guess I need to look into online testing again. Do you need to have a movable video camera and not just the fixed style built into the laptop? I can set up my Nikon camera as a videoconference camera now.

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

From what I saw you needed a camera on your computer then another camera like your phone positioned so the instructor could see you and your desk. All material, notes, pictures on walls, 2nd monitors or computers etc anything and everything has to be removed from the room before you start

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

From what I saw you needed a camera on your computer then another camera like your phone positioned so the instructor could see you and your desk. All material, notes, pictures on walls, 2nd monitors or computers etc anything and everything has to be removed from the room before you start
Some groups require a web cam and a phone camera. My group(s) only require the webcam on your computer but some ask for the second camera if you have it available. Best to contact the group you plan to test with directly because requirements vary greatly.

Mostly, they want you in a quiet room in an area clear of clutter so they can reasonably attest that you did not cheat. That's all they are really trying to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brewbud

KV Adventures

Rank II

Traveler II

Carlsbad, California 92010, United States
First Name
KV
Last Name
Venable
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KV6ADV
I took my Technicians License test virtually (and passed) on November 9th. Here’s a link to the group that set it all up:

The process went very smoothly and the volunteers were very organized and helpful.

Good luck,

KV6ADV
(just got my vanity call sign today)

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
FCC to Require Email Addresses on Applications

Under Section 97.21 of the new rules, a person holding a valid amateur station license “must apply to the FCC for a modification of the license grant as necessary to show the correct mailing and email address, licensee name, club name, license trustee name, or license custodian name.” For a club or military recreation station license, the application must be presented in document form to a club station call sign administrator who must submit the information to the FCC in an electronic batch file.

Under new Section 97.23, each license will have to show the grantee's correct name, mailing address, and email address. “The email address must be an address where the grantee can receive electronic correspondence,” the amended rule will state. “Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct email address.”

For more information visit ARRL.org

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

FCC to Require Email Addresses on Applications

Under Section 97.21 of the new rules, a person holding a valid amateur station license “must apply to the FCC for a modification of the license grant as necessary to show the correct mailing and email address, licensee name, club name, license trustee name, or license custodian name.” For a club or military recreation station license, the application must be presented in document form to a club station call sign administrator who must submit the information to the FCC in an electronic batch file.

Under new Section 97.23, each license will have to show the grantee's correct name, mailing address, and email address. “The email address must be an address where the grantee can receive electronic correspondence,” the amended rule will state. “Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct email address.”

For more information visit ARRL.org
That is interesting. Bounced emails can happen for a number of reasons. Sometimes out of your control.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

USPS mail can be returned for a number of reasons too. As of right now, the FCC can revoke your license if any of their letters are returned or undeliverable. This is really no different, just the FCC has finally taken a much needed step into the digital age. If you have ever logged into the ULS your email is already on file an so this affects you exactly 0%.

If an email bounces and they suspend your license, I image the process to get reinstated is much like it is now: fill out a form showing why the correspondence was returned and show proof that a valid address/email has been provided.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
USPS mail can be returned for a number of reasons too. As of right now, the FCC can revoke your license if any of their letters are returned or undeliverable. This is really no different, just the FCC has finally taken a much needed step into the digital age. If you have ever logged into the ULS your email is already on file an so this affects you exactly 0%.

If an email bounces and they suspend your license, I image the process to get reinstated is much like it is now: fill out a form showing why the correspondence was returned and show proof that a valid address/email has been provided.
Correct... the biggest takeaway for me
From the whole thing is that the FCC is now going 100% automated...

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Correct... the biggest takeaway for me
From the whole thing is that the FCC is now going 100% automated...
I wish they were going automated. Then the turnaround time for vanity calls would be much faster than 19 days. They are just moving to digital notification instead of USPS.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I wish they were going automated. Then the turnaround time for vanity calls would be much faster than 19 days. They are just moving to digital notification instead of USPS.
No, call signs and licenses will be emailed instead of mailed... fallow the links i posted to the article. Then fallow the ARRL links...

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I know Mike. They are going digital. They are not any more automated than they were before. I wish they were. Automation would make getting a vanity faster. Per your link, they are "transitioning to electronic correspondence." That just means email instead of USPS.