Contributor I

Heber City, UT, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Larsen
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0ZRT
Hello all. This is the first forum I've been a part of. I am new to overlanding (except when I was a teenager and beat the heck out of my truck in the mountains).

I just bought a 2006 GX 470, getting it lifted next week. Can't wait to get out on the trails!

I have a Larsen 2/70. Not sure if it will work without a ground plane. It came off the truck where I had drilled a hole and mounted it in the center of the roof where it worked great. That won't be possible with the GX. I'll search the forum, I'm sure there's a lot of info there about that stuff.

I look forward to meeting and learning from all of you!

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello all. This is the first forum I've been a part of. I am new to overlanding (except when I was a teenager and beat the heck out of my truck in the mountains).

I just bought a 2006 GX 470, getting it lifted next week. Can't wait to get out on the trails!

I have a Larsen 2/70. Not sure if it will work without a ground plane. It came off the truck where I had drilled a hole and mounted it in the center of the roof where it worked great. That won't be possible with the GX. I'll search the forum, I'm sure there's a lot of info there about that stuff.

Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Social Media:
RM FB; Facebook Groups
Our Rocky Mountain Regional Director is @Neal A. Tew
The closest Member Representatives to you are @A-Aron & @Knitron
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Tread Lightly | Online Courses
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Reactions: Theoxcart

BullNV

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Dayton, NV, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Roach
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Air Force

Welcome from Northern Nevada!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

It's great to have you here, Mark.

You can probably find a way to use your Larson NMO antenna by putting it on an NMO mount bracket and keeping it above the roof line, ideally. Let me know if I can help.

Hope to see you around.

Theoxcart

Rank 0

Contributor I

Heber City, UT, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Larsen
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0ZRT
Great thanks. Just about got the radio installed in the new rig. I will think through all my mounting.options for the antenna. It worked so well on the roof of the truck I may just do that again on the GX and work around it if I need to haul something on the roof. We'll see.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It came off the truck where I had drilled a hole and mounted it in the center of the roof where it worked great. That won't be possible with the GX
I understand the reluctance to drill a hole but there are options and solutions. Mounting center of a steel roof is definitely the best option.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Great thanks. Just about got the radio installed in the new rig. I will think through all my mounting.options for the antenna. It worked so well on the roof of the truck I may just do that again on the GX and work around it if I need to haul something on the roof. We'll see.
I've worked through similar challenges.

Just keep in mind if you start putting stuff on your roof with that antenna there, be sure to check your SWR especially if you have metal objects around it.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Welcome from Oklahoma.
Feel free to check out our Overland Communications section.
And hopefully you can join out weekly Friday night Echolink net.
If you don't have access to an Echolink or DMR repeater you can use the Echolink app instead, many of us do.

When: 17:30 PST, 20:30 EST, 01:30 UTC
OB Rally Point: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/ham-radio-weekly-net-2/

Where: Our net is graciously hosted by the Starlink White Mountain Repeater System group. Below is the current list of of nodes, hubs, repeaters, and links which get us on the air each Friday. For more information please visit their website at White Mountain Repeater Association .

Echolink
Conference Node 357087 (Starlink)

You may also connect through the following:
Allstar HUB Node 49842 Los Angeles, CA (Main Hub)
Allstar HUB Node 41050 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49964 Atlanta, GA
Allstar HUB Node 49420 Los Angeles, CA
Allstar HUB Node 41120 Dallas, TX
Allstar HUB Node 49421 Atlanta, GA

DMR
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (C) K4CEG
DMR Reflector XLX830 Module (D) AB5JK
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3124829
Brandmeister DMR Bridge 3148905

Repeaters and Links:
KE6GVK 147.570 CLOSED Saint Johns, AZ
KE6GVK 223.420 PL 100.0 Saint Johns, AZ
K7RFX 145.550 PL 127.3 Tuscon, AZ
KJ7NWP 147.500 PL 127.3 Red Rock, AZ
KG7NVF 145.590 PL 127.3 Mesa, AZ
WB6IZC 446.800 PL 186.2 Temecula, CA
KS6R 223.650 PL 156.7 Long Beach CA
K6SIG 443.800 PL 156.7 La Habra, CA
AB5JK 146.620 PL 100.0 Uvalde, TX
AB5JK 444.600 PL 162.2 Uvalde, TX

Live Streaming Audio: (Anyone may listen in)

White Mountain Repeater Association