Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

What a wonderful story and wonderful outcome to be hearing in this day and time. I give you and your wife the credit for that success, not the system.
I know this may be a politically incorrect response.... BUT... (lol), the ex was more interested in her dirt bag boyfriends, white powder and needles than our kids. So I sure as hell won't give an ounce of credit to that nut job of a woman...lol ;)

Thank you!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I know this may be a politically incorrect response.... BUT... (lol), the ex was more interested in her dirt bag boyfriends, white powder and needles than our kids. So I sure as hell won't give an ounce of credit to that nut job of a woman...lol ;)

Thank you!
Then that makes you twice as good at being a father my friend. Sorry you were stuck with such a tragedy. To tell you the truth I have seen many of the best kids come from situations such as yours. My dad was a heavy drinker and it split the family. I swore from my experience that I would not be a drinker and split a family. Now I see the opposite thing happening with my kids. They didn't suffer a broken marriage or a drunken father so they turned out to be drinkers and in two cases (my children) they have broken marriages and multiple wives. Go figure !!

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

Then that makes you twice as good at being a father my friend. Sorry you were stuck with such a tragedy. To tell you the truth I have seen many of the best kids come from situations such as yours. My dad was a heavy drinker and it split the family. I swore from my experience that I would not be a drinker and split a family. Now I see the opposite thing happening with my kids. They didn't suffer a broken marriage or a drunken father so they turned out to be drinkers and in two cases (my children) they have broken marriages and multiple wives. Go figure !!
As I re-read my last post, I'm realizing I didn't really need to say anything. Simply saying "Thank you" is all that was needed. I guess I'm still a little bitter...ha

As parents, we do the best we can with the tools at our disposal. Sometimes that's enough and sometimes it isn't. In the end all we can do is pray we didn't screw our kids up any worse than we are. Yet the job only ends when it's our end. The truth is, I owe my parenting style to my mother. She had seven "only" children: meaning she raised each of us as if we were her only child, treating us as individuals and never as a collective. It's a challenging way to raise multiple kids but IMO, the best way. Beyond that, my father was also pretty messed up and wasn't around after I turned three, and I'm the youngest.

I hear where you're coming from though. Four of my six siblings are drunks and not very nice people to deal with. So I don't.