Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

Hey there OBers.

I'm in need of getting some work done on my bone stock Jeep WJ but the labor costs are making it unobtainable. This post is definitely on the longs side so feel free to skip to the third from last sentence to get the summary. Otherwise here's the background on why this is a delema:

Seven years ago life threw me a curve ball. An injury took me out of the workforce and two years later I still wasn't healing. Two years later I learned that I have a genetic disorder called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility type. And as luck would have it I had a pretty severe form of it. Obviously I've had it my whole life but it took an injury like to find out about it. In a nut shell, my ligaments act more like rubber bands than cartilage, only when they stretch they don't return to their normal shape and they can still tear. It also makes the disks in my spine more spongy than they should be resulting in me being over an inch taller when I lie down than when I'm standing.

My health insurance policy was canceled a month before my injury because it wasn't ACA compliant so I've also had my life savings wiped out to-boot. Unable to work and after getting screwed by social security, I've been forced to sell my house and almost everything I own since I won't have anyplace to keep anything.

When life gives you lemons, to me, lemonade is hitting the road and traveling at my own pace-on my own terms. My doctors suspect that I've only got a few more years before I won't be able to travel at all, so time is not on my side. BUT! There are a bunch things I'm going to need to do to my Jeep to make my adventures possible and to accommodate my limitations. I'm a pretty skilled mechanic who has the knowledge and skill to do all of the work myself as long as I can take my time so as not to hurt myself further. Meaning the 60 hours of work will probably take me four to seven weeks.

Unfortunately I'm facing a classic catch 22: I need to sell my house in order to raise the money to outfit my Jeep but once I sell the house I won't have anyplace to do the work.

I moved to this town because I was raising two kids on my own (both of whom are on their own and paying their own way through college). During that time I never really focused on friendships because I was too busy working or being a dad. And the few friends that I do have, are appartment dwellers so I can't even borrow a garage.

I've gotten multiple estimates, but they all put the labor costs between $6k and $7k. That's a lot of bacon, for someone who's been living on less than $500 a month for the past five years. Plus I'd rather put that money into fuel and food on the road or this trip will be shortened significantly.

So here's the question: Do any of you know someplace in the South East (North East Florida would be best) where I could rent a repair bay or small warehouse space for a couple of months? Or a competent mechanic who charges [a lot] less than $100 per hour?

I'll also need to rent a small motor home while the work is being done (that would give me transportation and a place to live) so any leads on that would be helpful too.

Meanwhile, I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible-along the way.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time!

James

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I'm nowhere near you, but my wife also has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility type, so I feel your pain. Hope someone local can help!!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I know an EXCELLENT master tech that services cars, trucks, generators, heavy equipment, etc. etc. In Tallahasse Fl. Plenty of hotels there.

Private field tech. He goes to the jobsite and fixes the equipment there. But is Fl, so he fixes peoples trucks outdoors in his back yard. Pretty sure he's well under $100/hr since he's working for himself.

He's professional though. So not going to take any weirdness.

What specifically are you doing to your jeep?

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

I'm nowhere near you, but my wife also has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility type, so I feel your pain. Hope someone local can help!!
Thank you! I'm so sorry she has to deal with it. EDS is one place where misery doesn't love company...lol It's nice to hear when others understand but it's horrible to hear when others have to go through it. And at the same time, there are thousands of people with EDS who will go their entire lives without ever knowing.

Welcome to Overland Bound from Missouri!
Thank you mjherron!

Last edited:

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

I know an EXCELLENT master tech that services cars, trucks, generators, heavy equipment, etc. etc. In Tallahasse Fl. Plenty of hotels there.

Private field tech. He goes to the jobsite and fixes the equipment there. But is Fl, so he fixes peoples trucks outdoors in his back yard. Pretty sure he's well under $100/hr since he's working for himself.

He's professional though. So not going to take any weirdness.

What specifically are you doing to your jeep?
That would work! I didn't really expect to get an answer so quickly or so close. Tallahassee is only about four hours from me. I'll reach out again for contact info as we get closer to August 1st. Thank you!

The jeep is bone stock so I'm doing suspension, armor, re-gear, wheels and tires, electrics, coms, etc. Most of it is intended to minimize wear and tear on my body. Otherwise, it'll be a very short trip.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Regear will need to be done by a axle shop. We know how, but don't recommend it. I haven't swapped gears since school. Semi's are easier than consumer vehicles. Consider lockers or Truetracs if your Jeep doesn't already have them.

Suspension, wheels, tires, is no problem. I generally recommend BDS suspension.

Electronics are our specialty.

I'll check on body armor, but bolt on stuff is obviously no problem. We don't do autobody, cutting, paint, and such.

Last edited:

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound from Missouri!
Regear will need to be done by a axle shop. We know how, but don't recommend it. I haven't swapped gears since school. Semi's are easier than consumer vehicles. Consider lockers or Truetracs if your Jeep doesn't already have them.

Suspension, wheels, tires, is no problem. I generally recommend BDS suspension.

Electronics are our specialty.

I'll check on body armor, but bolt on stuff is obviously no problem.
All the work that needs to be done - I've done many times in the past. I've never paid someone to work on any of my vehicles for the past 35 years. That's what makes this so frustrating: not having someplace to do it where I can work at my own pace.

Needless to say, the past seven years have been very humbling...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
All the work that needs to be done - I've done many times in the past. I've never paid someone to work on any of my vehicles for the past 35 years. That's what makes this so frustrating: not having someplace to do it where I can work at my own pace.

Needless to say, the past seven years have been very humbling...
I know and understand your situation only too well, including health problems. In most cities there are garages where you can rent the space at a very reasonable price and they will furnish the tools if you need them. I don't know where you can look in the yellow pages but I can tell you one thing. If there is a circle track or drag strip in any town, I have found that those guys will help you in any they can. They also know every place in town that does good work at a fair price and can tell you if such a place as I described exist in their community. I too need a place to work that has at least a slab on the ground and a mechanic that is only interested in earning a living unlike the big shops who charge you union wage rates and don't even have a unit mechanic working for them. We all know that union wages or rates are based on their slowest workers ability (or laziest) to get a job done. Your wanting a lot of work done the same as me, but we need to forget all the fancy stuff and just get out there with what we have. Along the way the things you need will get done in what may be the strangest ways. Club guys will often jump in and help their members so consider joining a 4 wheeling local club. Anyone else with better ideas should jump in on this conversation with their two bits.. Landlubber Jim

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Some suggestions:

When I was little Dad used the shop on the local AFB to fix his car. If you are military, retired, or ex-military call up the local base and see if they will rent let you use the shop. Commercially there are a few options that might be local to you. Look for a larger "techShop", or "MakerSpace" I was a member of Club Workshop for a number of years before it closed up shop. They had 2-3 lift bays, a paint booth, and a couple of flat areas for working on rigs. This was along side of a pair of CNC routers, a CNC mill, a couple of manual Bridgeport mills, and lots of other cool tools. Damn I miss that place. Currently down in Denver we have DIY Auto Repair Shops: Equipped Self-Service Garage Bays, wher eyou can rent a bat with or w/o a lift and if you get to a point where you need help can "rent a mechanic" to assist for the time needed. I don't know if they are a chain or not but there are other places like this I've seen in my travels.

@Lanlubber, Out in Mimbres, NM you might have a hard time for commercial shops so try Garagetime | Rent a DIY garage or lift | Work on your car or motorcycle it's kind of like an AirBnB or Uber for shop space. I also know of a guy who uses a regular garage size storage space. It has limited electricity, but a solid pad and just enough room to put his tool box at the back of the unit and get around the rig while working on it. He had to find a mom-n-pop place as all of the chain storage places he considered prohibited working on anything let alone cars.

Boort

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Some suggestions:

When I was little Dad used the shop on the local AFB to fix his car. If you are military, retired, or ex-military call up the local base and see if they will rent let you use the shop. Commercially there are a few options that might be local to you. Look for a larger "techShop", or "MakerSpace" I was a member of Club Workshop for a number of years before it closed up shop. They had 2-3 lift bays, a paint booth, and a couple of flat areas for working on rigs. This was along side of a pair of CNC routers, a CNC mill, a couple of manual Bridgeport mills, and lots of other cool tools. Damn I miss that place. Currently down in Denver we have DIY Auto Repair Shops: Equipped Self-Service Garage Bays, wher eyou can rent a bat with or w/o a lift and if you get to a point where you need help can "rent a mechanic" to assist for the time needed. I don't know if they are a chain or not but there are other places like this I've seen in my travels.

@Lanlubber, Out in Mimbres, NM you might have a hard time for commercial shops so try Garagetime | Rent a DIY garage or lift | Work on your car or motorcycle it's kind of like an AirBnB or Uber for shop space. I also know of a guy who uses a regular garage size storage space. It has limited electricity, but a solid pad and just enough room to put his tool box at the back of the unit and get around the rig while working on it. He had to find a mom-n-pop place as all of the chain storage places he considered prohibited working on anything let alone cars.

Boort
You are right about the storage units. Dumbo me I had completely forgotten about them. I use to rent one back when I built race cars in the 70's and had forgotten. About that source.
You are also right that some storage units will not let you do mechanic work out of the unit.
I asked an owner once and he told me he didn't mind a man working on his own car but that he had that rule because some mechanics were doing business out of their units and cars were stacked up blocking traffic. Thanks for the tip to this forgetful old man. I know just the place now that I can rent for $60 a month. I doubt there will be a 220v outlet for my big welder, but thankfully I just bought a 110v flux welder that will take care of up to 3/16" welds fine. Could weld thicker if proper edge beveling is done.

Reactions: Boort

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

We used to have a U-Fix it here but they went out of business in their second year. Just not enough people willing to do their own work. The nearest DIY auto shop is a few hours south of me, and that's not an option.

As for working out of a storage unit. I had one in south florida 20 years ago where they allowed me to work on whatever I wanted, so that was my first idea. Around here they don't put any outlets in the outdoor units and local code prevents using storage units for anything other than storage. So everyone I called said no way. The nearest place that allows it (that I've found so far) is in Gainsville, around 3 hours from here. I'm keeping them as an option but they're pretty expensive and they only have one 15amp breaker that's shared across multiple units and if I trip the circuit they charge $50 to turn it back on. I thought that was kind of crazy.

I have a tendency to plan things (over-plan really) right up until it's time to execute on that plan. Meaning I have another five weeks until I'll be ready to start, and there's nothing that says I have to start at any given time. So it's not like there's any kind of rush to get any of this done. At least not at the moments.....

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Rather B. Wandering
You are welcome, Thought of another idea. Does the local High school or Community Collage still have a vo-tech program? If so a couple of options might be available.
1) Talk to the instructor. Let him know the situation and see if they have adult ed courses that would let you access the space. This was how I got some instruction on welding and was able to make a couple of projects. (This was available at my old HS before they flipped the program over to STEM a few years ago.)
2) If they don't have any way to access the space you might have some luck teaming up with 1 or more of their students. Teach them what you know for their projects in exchange for help with the heavy lifting on yours. (If I was closer I'd jump at the chance to do this swap to get some of the projects done on my rig.)

Boort

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

We used to have a U-Fix it here but they went out of business in their second year. Just not enough people willing to do their own work. The nearest DIY auto shop is a few hours south of me, and that's not an option.

As for working out of a storage unit. I had one in south florida 20 years ago where they allowed me to work on whatever I wanted, so that was my first idea. Around here they don't put any outlets in the outdoor units and local code prevents using storage units for anything other than storage. So everyone I called said no way. The nearest place that allows it (that I've found so far) is in Gainsville, around 3 hours from here. I'm keeping them as an option but they're pretty expensive and they only have one 15amp breaker that's shared across multiple units and if I trip the circuit they charge $50 to turn it back on. I thought that was kind of crazy.

I have a tendency to plan things (over-plan really) right up until it's time to execute on that plan. Meaning I have another five weeks until I'll be ready to start, and there's nothing that says I have to start at any given time. So it's not like there's any kind of rush to get any of this done. At least not at the moments.....
I bought an $89 - 900w generator that is plenty of elect. for me and my flux welder. You might try something like that at some edge of town storage unit location. Where there is a will there is a way.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Rather B. Wandering

You are welcome, Thought of another idea. Does the local High school or Community Collage still have a vo-tech program? If so a couple of options might be available.
1) Talk to the instructor. Let him know the situation and see if they have adult ed courses that would let you access the space. This was how I got some instruction on welding and was able to make a couple of projects. (This was available at my old HS before they flipped the program over to STEM a few years ago.)
2) If they don't have any way to access the space you might have some luck teaming up with 1 or more of their students. Teach them what you know for their projects in exchange for help with the heavy lifting on yours. (If I was closer I'd jump at the chance to do this swap to get some of the projects done on my rig.)

Boort
Excellent idea. Some city's have Tech collages too, the instructors are always looking for projects for their students. That's a good source of cheap labor as well but they will need your supervision. I'll bet the back parking lot of Wal-Mart or other large stores would be a good place to do some of your quick change items. Just buy as much of your supplies you need from them. Lanlubber

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

@Rather B. Wandering

Boort
My son took auto tech in HS. The rocket scientists at his school thought it was too dangerous to let students actually work on cars so they converted the shop to a break room for the teachers and moved the class to a classroom and called it auto repair theory. They closed the wood, metal and electronics shops too. Needless to say he dropped the class the second year. When he left for college I had a kid from his school that would come by to help me whenever I worked on one of my cars. He said he learned more from me in one weekend then he learned during a year of theory. Which I don't doubt for a second. There's no substitute for hands on when it comes to turning wrenches.

I bought an $89 - 900w generator that is plenty of elect. for me and my flux welder. You might try something like that at some edge of town storage unit location. Where there is a will there is a way.
This is a pretty cool idea. I've been thinking about adding a small inverter generator to my kit and this suggestion gives me a little more justification for it...lol

This afternoon a neighbor offered me a room in his house for as long and as often as I need it and he has no problem with me using his driveway to work on the Jeep. I never would have asked for such a thing, but I guess it pays to be a good neighbor aye? Now I have to worry about code enforcement. Around here if you leave your car on jack stands and someone complains (and they will), code enforcement will fine you for running an unlicensed business out of your house, even if it's your own car. And yes, in this town you're not allowed to opperate a business out of your house unless it can be operated inside the structure and out of view of your neighbors...smh Just another reason I'm looking forward to hitting the road!

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My son took auto tech in HS. The rocket scientists at his school thought it was too dangerous to let students actually work on cars so they converted the shop to a break room for the teachers and moved the class to a classroom and called it auto repair theory. They closed the wood, metal and electronics shops too. Needless to say he dropped the class the second year. When he left for college I had a kid from his school that would come by to help me whenever I worked on one of my cars. He said he learned more from me in one weekend then he learned during a year of theory. Which I don't doubt for a second. There's no substitute for hands on when it comes to turning wrenches.

This is a pretty cool idea. I've been thinking about adding a small inverter generator to my kit and this suggestion gives me a little more justification for it...lol

This afternoon a neighbor offered me a room in his house for as long and as often as I need it and he has no problem with me using his driveway to work on the Jeep. I never would have asked for such a thing, but I guess it pays to be a good neighbor aye? Now I have to worry about code enforcement. Around here if you leave your car on jack stands and someone complains (and they will), code enforcement will fine you for running an unlicensed business out of your house, even if it's your own car. And yes, in this town you're not allowed to opperate a business out of your house unless it can be operated inside the structure and out of view of your neighbors...smh Just another reason I'm looking forward to hitting the road!
All of what you said I have experienced myself. Politics and politicians have ruined our children's educational system by pushing our kids towards a collage education and away from technical educations. It was a wood shop and drafting class in the 7th grade that started me on my life long career as a building designer.
We have lost more freedoms in the US than I can begin to count in my lifetime. Building codes have ruined our freedoms in ways you cant Imagine. Conveniences, home owners associations and ordinances passed by city councils in all our major cities have taken our freedoms away that were in place in the 40's, 50's and 60's. We live in an America that I don't even recognize any longer. I haven't seen any good come from any of the changes in the way we must live now. Enough said, I'm sure there are people who would disagree with what I've said. I'm glad I am old and wont be around to see the fall of this society. Someone once said be careful of what you wish for, you might get it !

Reactions: Rather B. Wandering

Rather B. Wandering

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Palm Coast, FL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Marsala
Member #

All of what you said I have experienced myself. Politics and politicians have ruined our children's educational system by pushing our kids towards a collage education and away from technical educations. It was a wood shop and drafting class in the 7th grade that started me on my life long career as a building designer.
We have lost more freedoms in the US than I can begin to count in my lifetime. Building codes have ruined our freedoms in ways you cant Imagine. Conveniences, home owners associations and ordinances passed by city councils in all our major cities have taken our freedoms away that were in place in the 40's, 50's and 60's. We live in an America that I don't even recognize any longer. I haven't seen any good come from any of the changes in the way we must live now. Enough said, I'm sure there are people who would disagree with what I've said. I'm glad I am old and wont be around to see the fall of this society. Someone once said be careful of what you wish for, you might get it !
I couldn't agree with you more! I'm fortunate that my kids are in college because they want to be there, and they've paying their own way. My daughter is starting her masters in linguistics in August and my Son got a full ride (plus a salary) to a Canadian university to study for his PHD in kenesiolgy and health sciences. And yet my daughter wasn't afraid to take on a heater core and evaporator in her 2008 Ford focus (she did it in 8 hours) and my Son didn't flinch when I had him replace the radiator, axles, unit bearings and brakes in my Jeep. They've changed faucets, electrical outlets and light fixtures. Painted their own bedrooms and sweated copper pipe. As far as I'm concerned, these are critical skills for life. (As a side note: It was fun to watch my daughter who's all of 5'2" and 110 lbs changing a flat tire for a male friend who's 6'2 and 200lbs.)

As for the rest of what you wrote... I think you said it well enough.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I couldn't agree with you more! I'm fortunate that my kids are in college because they want to be there, and they've paying their own way. My daughter is starting her masters in linguistics in August and my Son got a full ride (plus a salary) to a Canadian university to study for his PHD in kenesiolgy and health sciences. And yet my daughter wasn't afraid to take on a heater core and evaporator in her 2008 Ford focus (she did it in 8 hours) and my Son didn't flinch when I had him replace the radiator, axles, unit bearings and brakes in my Jeep. They've changed faucets, electrical outlets and light fixtures. Painted their own bedrooms and sweated copper pipe. As far as I'm concerned, these are critical skills for life. (As a side note: It was fun to watch my daughter who's all of 5'2" and 110 lbs changing a flat tire for a male friend who's 6'2 and 200lbs.)

As for the rest of what you wrote... I think you said it well enough.
What a wonderful story and wonderful outcome to be hearing in this day and time. I give you and your wife the credit for that success, not the system.