Launch Member

Contributor I

Utah, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Hey all, anyone here running a 1 ton. Im looking for recommendations for a new suspension setup to make this thing not ride like a chuckwagon on the roads. I have looked into a carli setup but i am having a hard time convincing myself to spend 5k+. Any advice would be great. And yes i do air down tires. Currently have bilstien shocks, level kit and 35s.20191114_074522.jpeg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hey all, anyone here running a 1 ton. Im looking for recommendations for a new suspension setup to make this thing not ride like a chuckwagon on the roads. I have looked into a carli setup but i am having a hard time convincing myself to spend 5k+. Any advice would be great. And yes i do air down tires. Currently have bilstien shocks, level kit and 35s.View attachment 131745
You might check out BDS, I'm running their 2.5" RA setup with fox 2.0 shocks on my Ram 3500 and it's pretty good with the dual rate coils. I have a friend with an identical pickup to yours but f250 and he always comments on the ride in mine. For the Fords it looks like they offer the same kit and now have a coil over option that uses a coil over and a regular shock up front. If you were to pair one of those kits with the Carli add-a-pack in the rear you'd have a pretty good setup for $2k-$4k depending on if you went with the coilover or not. The regular 2.5" RA system and the AAP would be a good place to start. You can always upgrade to the fox or king CO down the road and build as $$ allows.

Reactions: Narzan440

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have 3/4 ton, the best thing I have done was go to progressive set of spring's. Carti is great but I don't 55 mph down dirt roads. If you add 2 or 3 inches of lift you can soften the ride with the extra travel same weight. If you don't you'll be going softer ride ,less weight.
I didn't lift, but with the progressives and fox bypass on the ft and running tires at 45# I like the ride.

Reactions: Narzan440

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So you bought a 1 ton and expect it to ride like a SUV... it ain’t going to happen without turning the truck into a half ton. Or adding air bags and air shocks along with soft 1/2 ton springs

Reactions: EXPO_D1

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Love those fullsize 250+ Fords.

You can improve the ride a lot with moderate improvements. Carli is nice, but a bit overkill sometimes. BDS 4 link, 4", with custom 2.5" King shocks from Accutune or Filthy Motorsports can do very nicely. But feel free to run BDS's Fox shocks for a bit before committing to thousand dollar shocks. I prefer the BDS four link over the radius arm option, because the 4link has a new mounting bracket that keeps the arms a bit lower, more level. I have no idea which has more clearance, but I'm sure the Radius arm kit has plenty.

Remember, you need to drastically stiffen your damping to get these trucks to ride well. Then lower your spring rates if possible for better ride over slow speed bumps.

Fox ATS is the best steering damper on the 17+ trucks. Not sure about the earlier generation. I know that King also has a good damper.

37x12.5" Cooper STT's on a 18" +20mm offset wheel will ride very nice. 20" wheels are the debil. We'd be doing every fullsize overlander a huge favor if we stole their 20+ inch wheels and tossed them in a lake. Avoid negative offset wheels as well. End up looking like a roller skate chebby with those.

I think the coil over kit costs you a little bit of travel on the big Fords, with no payback other the ride height adjustment. I plan on sticking with a more standard 4" spring and OEM shock location. I'd reconsider a coil over kit if someone could prove that they cost no travel compared to having the shock next to the coils. Because having a King 3.0 inside the coil, and a 2.5 next to it in the OEM location, could be hot.

Sadly, really cool bypass shocks serve no purpose on stockish Superduties.

Then later on, if you feel ok about reducing payload capacity, you can try Carli's Deaver springs. BDS's front springs ride fine. With the right shocks and springs, the BDS kit can be as nice as Carli. But Carli gets you darn close to perfect, out of the box, every time.

Eventually I want my truck to look like this with Method NV HD wheels +20mm offset, but by using BDS parts. Carli has no gasoline truck kits.:

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You can improve the ride a lot with moderate improvements. Carli is nice, but a bit overkill sometimes. BDS 4 link, 4", with custom 2.5" King shocks from Accutune or Filthy Motorsports can do very nicely. But feel free to run BDS's Fox shocks for a bit before committing to thousand dollar shocks. I prefer the BDS four link over the radius arm option, because the 4link has a new mounting bracket that keeps the arms a bit lower, more level. I have no idea which has more clearance, but I'm sure the Radius arm kit has plenty.

Remember, you need to drastically stiffen your damping to get these trucks to ride well. Then lower your spring rates if possible for better ride over slow speed bumps.

Fox ATS is the best steering damper on the 17+ trucks. Not sure about the earlier generation. I know that King also has a good damper.

37x12.5" Cooper STT's on a 18" +20mm offset wheel will ride very nice. 20" wheels are the debil. We'd be doing every fullsize overlander a huge favor if we stole their 20+ inch wheels and tossed them in a lake. Avoid negative offset wheels as well. End up looking like a roller skate chebby with those.

I think the coil over kit costs you a little bit of travel on the big Fords, with no payback other the ride height adjustment. I plan on sticking with a more standard 4" spring and OEM shock location. I'd reconsider a coil over kit if someone could prove that they cost no travel compared to having the shock next to the coils. Because having a King 3.0 inside the coil, and a 2.5 next to it in the OEM location, could be hot.

Then later on, if you feel ok about reducing payload capacity, you can try Carli's Deaver springs. BDS's front springs ride fine. With the right shocks and springs, the BDS kit can be as nice as Carli. But Carli gets you darn close to perfect, out of the box, every time.

Eventually I want my truck to look like this with Method NV HD wheels +20mm offset, but by using BDS parts. Carli has no gasoline truck kits.:
I have melted 2 sets if none bypass shocks in the past. Drive down 4-8 washboard roads for 45 miles at 35 mph. I have not managed to do that to the bypass.

Reactions: MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
On a Ford SD?

Possibility that the regular shocks were just plain not good enough? Last time we tuned 2.5 and 3.0 shocks over here, we can't think of anywhere we want to bypass with these trucks. There just isn't much travel to bleed off damping anywhere.

I'd love to play with a set of 3.0 triple bypass shocks some more. But I'd hate to have the bypasses shut off most of the time after spending $4000 on them.

Narzan440

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Utah, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Parker
Member #

So you bought a 1 ton and expect it to ride like a SUV... it ain’t going to happen without turning the truck into a half ton. Or adding air bags and air shocks along with soft 1/2 ton springs
Haha, no. I bought a 1 ton to tow a 14000 lb. toy hauler, and it rides great for that. I am looking at running a soft 3/4 springs, and also installing bags to still handle the towing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Haha, no. I bought a 1 ton to tow a 14000 lb. toy hauler, and it rides great for that. I am looking at running a soft 3/4 springs, and also installing bags to still handle the towing.
That is exactly why I started out with a 3/4 ton when I was pulling... I knew my rig was going to see 80% DD Duties and only 10% towing my toys. Instead of having to find the right spring and shock setup, I just had to add bags

Narzan440

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Utah, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Hey, thanks for the input. I will look into BDS. Good luck on your truck.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Baja just
On a Ford SD?

Possibility that the regular shocks were just plain not good enough? Last time we tuned 2.5 and 3.0 shocks over here, we can't think of anywhere we want to bypass with these trucks. There just isn't much travel to bleed off damping anywhere.

I'd love to play with a set of 3.0 triple bypass shocks some more. But I'd hate to have the bypasses shut off most of the time after spending $4000 on them.
The desert of Baja just eats up suspension. Long roads across the desert with lots of washboard. Like driving over 4"X4" to 8"x8" logs for miles and miles. Getting board and speeding up doesn't help.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yeah, we don't have that on the eastern half of this country. Rough roads? Sure. Motorcross whoops? Nope.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Unless you have some kind of weird option spring, your rears are likely already very soft. Just get rid of the upper overload springs if you have them. Don't drop down to the F250 springs.

The second biggest reason why our fleet is switching to Dodge, is that generation of Fords had excessively soft rear springs. Even a F450 drags its mudflaps everywhere. And the chassis cab trucks have way more spring than the civvy trucks.

I went F250 with the softest available Ford springs. But I'll never tow over 10k or haul more than 2k ever again. Undecided that if I stick with overlanding and pickup a slide in camper, If I'll add Sumo Rebel springs, or F450ish Deavers. Sumos and air bags a good helpers, but you want to get 80% of the way there with steel.

Reactions: grubworm

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We just finished a 2wd to 4wd conversion in our E99 F250. We have had the truck for 15 yrs now and use it for everything. This past January we spent 10 days in Baja, last 4 days we drove over 250 miles off road up the Pacific coast side. Even as a 2wd it did great, it had stock rear springs with blocks. We bought the truck with a 6" 2wd Fabtech lift on it.

Anyway for the 4wd axle conversion I settled on ICON 4.5" lift with their 2.5" adjustable front shocks. Have not been able to get them out on the dirt yet, but sure they will work good.

As for the rear most of the lower end lift kits just use blocks between the springs and the axles. This in my opinion is bad. I am planning on having my stock spring rebuilt/rearched to the height and weight load the truck needs.

NOTE: I called BDS, Carli, ICON and others before settling on ICON, they all only make one spring rate for all their kits. They do not make 3/4 ton and 1 ton ratings.

While in Baja our truck was right around 8,500 lbs with all the stuff and gear. We were on a family camping trip and had stuff for others also. I added Firestone rear air bags to our truck about a year ago because of the weight the outfitting in the bed and on the shell.

brakes and suspension done.jpg

on the ground 12.jpg

drove it 1.jpg

f250 down hill.jpg

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Tustin, southern california
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

We just finished a 2wd to 4wd conversion in our E99 F250. We have had the truck for 15 yrs now and use it for everything. This past January we spent 10 days in Baja, last 4 days we drove over 250 miles off road up the Pacific coast side. Even as a 2wd it did great, it had stock rear springs with blocks. We bought the truck with a 6" 2wd Fabtech lift on it.

Anyway for the 4wd axle conversion I settled on ICON 4.5" lift with their 2.5" adjustable front shocks. Have not been able to get them out on the dirt yet, but sure they will work good.

As for the rear most of the lower end lift kits just use blocks between the springs and the axles. This in my opinion is bad. I am planning on having my stock spring rebuilt/rearched to the height and weight load the truck needs.

NOTE: I called BDS, Carli, ICON and others before settling on ICON, they all only make one spring rate for all their kits. They do not make 3/4 ton and 1 ton ratings.

While in Baja our truck was right around 8,500 lbs with all the stuff and gear. We were on a family camping trip and had stuff for others also. I added Firestone rear air bags to our truck about a year ago because of the weight the outfitting in the bed and on the shell.

View attachment 147588

View attachment 147589

View attachment 147590

View attachment 147591
BAD ASS!!!!

Reactions: Daryl 32