New guy from New Mexico!

• HTML tutorial

Reaper XJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello all,
I'm fairly new to Overlanding.
I'll start with a little back round. I was born and raised in the southwest. During high school I did plenty of off-roading and rock crawling with friends. This region makes that very easy. I have always been a car guy though, mostly race cars (drag racing/road racing), have only owned vehicles to perform in those areas.
I am now 31 years old, I have a wife and 3.5 year old son. I have been wanting to get into some sort of rig for a while now. I wanted to get something to take the family camping and off-roading like I used to do when I was younger. The wife and son love it as well, but mostly ignored that decision until recently.
2 winters ago, we were driving in my BMW M3 on the interstate and it was snowing pretty bad. The roads were icing over quick and I was watching people slide off the road all over the place. I was creeping along at 30 mph when I noticed tailights coming up in my review really quick. I gave it gas and spun the tires. I then feathered the throttle an pitched the car sideways on purpose while changing lanes. At that moment, I saw the car that was behind go sliding past us and then off the road. The was too close of a call. At that point, I made the decision to get a more capable vehicle for my family. Something that can get me out of a hairy situation if need be and something that we can all have fun in, instead of just me.
That lead me to this purchase. I got it from a friend of mine that was wanting something newer. I told her that if she ever sold it, I get first dibs. Then that day finally came.
I purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic about a year ago and I have loved every minute of it.
I don't want a die hard 4-wheeler/crawling machine, but more of an overland oriented machine. And then I stumbled upon this site and the rest is history!

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic - 4.5" lift/ 32"x 11.50 mud terrains.
stock driveline, but hoping to add some lockers in the near future.

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Welcome! I've traveled through NM quite a bit... did some snow wheeling up in Red River, camped in Grants while on my way to the Overland Expo a few years ago, and a few other trips passing through. It's beautiful country there!

Reaper XJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome to the family from a fellow xj owner!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Thanks!

Welcome! I've traveled through NM quite a bit... did some snow wheeling up in Red River, camped in Grants while on my way to the Overland Expo a few years ago, and a few other trips passing through. It's beautiful country there!
It really is, especially up north!

Welcome! Recently relocated to Rio Rancho myself.

View attachment 23411
What made ya come out to the wild west?

Reactions: WillRunner

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Welcome! Very nice XJ. It looks like you have a great platform to start with. I used to build my cars for performance also so I can relate. Now that I am older I prefer a different kind of performance from my rig. I can't wait to see what else you'll get done to it.