Contributor III

Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rader
Service Branch
Navy DAV
Hello. We are completely new to overlanding. The most we've done is pull a pop-up behind us to camping sites. We sadly moved away from that when we moved to FL 7 years ago but are about to be empty nesters so the bug is biting. We just bought our son a 2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4 for college. He was the one that started the interest in overlanding. He was waiting on a 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid that we realized would likely not come lol! So, I changed that order to a Maverick Lariat FX4 with the 4k tow package for me. While I realize the Maverick is far from the ideal overland solution I think as long as we keep its limits in mind we should still be able to have plenty of fun in the compact and fun little pickups.

Son's plan is to keep everything on the truck. I'm older, wiser, and far more injured so I'm thinking of building a trailer with a good RTT and the ability to have a few luxuries with us. I had planned on getting the new Bronco, but after driving his Maverick I realized it would at least 75% of what I would do with the Bronco at a fraction of the price. Meaning I'd never use the Bronco to its full abilities and with the Maverick I get a semblance of good fuel economy in a fun and relatively inexpensive package.

My guess is that my order will have to get resubmitted as a 2024 which is fine as I have word from the dealer that it would be well within their allocations for that model year. It's a hope and a prayer to get one this year unallocated but I did load it out fairly well in the hopes of increasing my odds :).

My wife and I would love to drive out west and hit all the parks out there again when we're retired and can take our sweet time. So that's the goal.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I ran into a guy that has a 4wd maverick and a family of five. They loved taking trips with it. He added a basic lift, all terrains, rack for RTT and locking bed cover. Sounded like fully loaded he was getting 18 mpg on the highway.

Reactions: Radman73

Radman73

Rank I

Contributor III

Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rader
Service Branch
Navy DAV
I ran into a guy that has a 4wd maverick and a family of five. They loved taking trips with it. He added a basic lift, all terrains, rack for RTT and locking bed cover. Sounded like fully loaded he was getting 18 mpg on the highway.
Pretty impressive really.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello. We are completely new to overlanding. The most we've done is pull a pop-up behind us to camping sites. We sadly moved away from that when we moved to FL 7 years ago but are about to be empty nesters so the bug is biting. We just bought our son a 2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4 for college. He was the one that started the interest in overlanding. He was waiting on a 2023 Ford Maverick hybrid that we realized would likely not come lol! So, I changed that order to a Maverick Lariat FX4 with the 4k tow package for me. While I realize the Maverick is far from the ideal overland solution I think as long as we keep its limits in mind we should still be able to have plenty of fun in the compact and fun little pickups.

Son's plan is to keep everything on the truck. I'm older, wiser, and far more injured so I'm thinking of building a trailer with a good RTT and the ability to have a few luxuries with us. I had planned on getting the new Bronco, but after driving his Maverick I realized it would at least 75% of what I would do with the Bronco at a fraction of the price. Meaning I'd never use the Bronco to its full abilities and with the Maverick I get a semblance of good fuel economy in a fun and relatively inexpensive package.

My guess is that my order will have to get resubmitted as a 2024 which is fine as I have word from the dealer that it would be well within their allocations for that model year. It's a hope and a prayer to get one this year unallocated but I did load it out fairly well in the hopes of increasing my odds :).

My wife and I would love to drive out west and hit all the parks out there again when we're retired and can take our sweet time. So that's the goal.
Welcome To Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. SouthEast (AR LA MS KY TN AL NC SC GA FL)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
You are in the Southeast Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check out the four Overland Expo events https://www.OverlandExpo.com
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

• Love

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Radman73

Rank I

Contributor III

Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rader
Service Branch
Navy DAV
My truck is scheduled for production the week of July 24. Earlier than I expected!

Last edited:
Reactions: BroncoTrail

picknpluck

Rank V

Advocate II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Geoffrey
Last Name
Krueger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6ZZF
Service Branch
Army (Retired)
Welcome from Northern California! We have a pretty active scene out here with a lot of cool trips planned...so if you ever do head out west, look up the happenings on Rally Point and don't hesitate to join in the fun!

Radman73

Rank I

Contributor III

Florida
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rader
Service Branch
Navy DAV
Welcome from Northern California! We have a pretty active scene out here with a lot of cool trips planned...so if you ever do head out west, look up the happenings on Rally Point and don't hesitate to join in the fun!
Grew up in Cali and was stationed at Mare Island for time. I'm sure there are some nice trails out your way. They will likely have to wait for retirement though lol!

Reactions: picknpluck

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army

Welcome to the overland bound community from another Floridian. Glad to have you join us.