Rank III

Enthusiast II

Russellville, Arkansas 72802, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

Ive been in the off road/ overland community for a lot of years but just joined here. I’m in Russellville AR and enjoy local exploration as well as a run or two out west yearly With friends if I can swing it. Being retired, I normally try to get out here local for at least a day or two of exploring weekly and do multi day local trips as often as possible . I’ve got a kinda built 100 series cruiser for my main rig and a pretty built jeep XJ for The tougher local trails.
Looking forward to meeting you all FEB1ABC8-6CCA-493D-8402-55C8120AA469.jpeg47AAD79F-77CE-481E-844B-EB291940C094.jpeg

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Welcome, Dave...nice rigs!

The wife and I started going to Arkansas a couple years ago and are really impressed with the state as a whole and really impressed with how nice the state parks are. We did a brief trip to the Jasper area and did some kayaking and definitely want to focus more on that area. What are some good areas you recommend for camping, hiking and kayaking?

Dave Lay

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

Thanks grub worm, Arkansas has almost unlimited hiking opportunities , of all levels. I assume being from LA you’ve been around the ouchitas and in particularly the Albert pike area ? The ouchita trail is a great trail that runs through southern Ark. And there is dispersed camping all over the area With a huge network of roads. It can get a little crowded With Texas folks during peak spring and fall seasons. If your a campground guy, take a look at Shady Lake CG.
As far as the Ozarks, again it’s almost unlimited As far as hiking goes. If you like established thru type trails take a look at the ozark highlands trail, there is a nice campground at haw creek falls where the OHT runs through it. if you like destination hikes look at the areas around mts Magazine, Petit Jean state parks. a favorite of mine is the hike into twin falls at Richland creek south of jasper, there is a nice forest service campground here as well. . The hike into hawks bill Craig as well as glory hole close to Jasper has gotten pretty crowded over the years but if you can do a mid week hike it will help a lot. A nice day hike by Jasper is the lost valley in and out trail by Boxley, it is a fairly easy hike with waterfalls, and ends at a cave with a waterfall inside So take a flashlight ! Pick up some of the hiking books by Tim Ernst he describes and gives directions on a heck of a lot of trails by region in the state. He also has a waterfall guide book out that is well worth the money. If you don’t mind bushwhacking Ark has some of the best places imaginable, pick up Danny Hales book on hiking AR.
Kayaking, if you are a flat water paddler we have a ton of lakes and slower streams, if you like med. class 1-3 stuff then look at the buffalo, mulberry and big piney creeks or the ouchita River in the southern part of the state. One popular float on the ouchita is the dragover loop that doesn’t require a shuttle it’s a very nice class 1-2 day float . Then the caddo is a good one in the southern part of the state but it’s getting crowded . If I can help please feel free to holler at me. Thanks Dave

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks grub worm, Arkansas has almost unlimited hiking opportunities , of all levels. I assume being from LA you’ve been around the ouchitas and in particularly the Albert pike area ? The ouchita trail is a great trail that runs through southern Ark. And there is dispersed camping all over the area With a huge network of roads. It can get a little crowded With Texas folks during peak spring and fall seasons. If your a campground guy, take a look at Shady Lake CG.
As far as the Ozarks, again it’s almost unlimited As far as hiking goes. If you like established thru type trails take a look at the ozark highlands trail, there is a nice campground at haw creek falls where the OHT runs through it. if you like destination hikes look at the areas around mts Magazine, Petit Jean state parks. a favorite of mine is the hike into twin falls at Richland creek south of jasper, there is a nice forest service campground here as well. . The hike into hawks bill Craig as well as glory hole close to Jasper has gotten pretty crowded over the years but if you can do a mid week hike it will help a lot. A nice day hike by Jasper is the lost valley in and out trail by Boxley, it is a fairly easy hike with waterfalls, and ends at a cave with a waterfall inside So take a flashlight ! Pick up some of the hiking books by Tim Ernst he describes and gives directions on a heck of a lot of trails by region in the state. He also has a waterfall guide book out that is well worth the money. If you don’t mind bushwhacking Ark has some of the best places imaginable, pick up Danny Hales book on hiking AR.
Kayaking, if you are a flat water paddler we have a ton of lakes and slower streams, if you like med. class 1-3 stuff then look at the buffalo, mulberry and big piney creeks or the ouchita River in the southern part of the state. One popular float on the ouchita is the dragover loop that doesn’t require a shuttle it’s a very nice class 1-2 day float . Then the caddo is a good one in the southern part of the state but it’s getting crowded . If I can help please feel free to holler at me. Thanks Dave
Excellent information Dave, thanks!
What you gave me to see will last us a good while and of course while I'm checking out those areas, I'll be finding some others as a result.
The wife LOVES waterfalls, so I just ordered the Tim Ernst book you mentioned off amazon.

Contributor I

Omaha, AR, USA
First Name
Johnathan
Last Name
Muncy
Member #

Ive been in the off road/ overland community for a lot of years but just joined here. I’m in Russellville AR and enjoy local exploration as well as a run or two out west yearly With friends if I can swing it. Being retired, I normally try to get out here local for at least a day of exploring weekly and do multi day local trips as often as possible . I’ve got a kinda built 100 series cruiser for my main rig and a pretty built jeep XJ for The tougher local trails.
Looking forward to meeting you all View attachment 186835View attachment 186836
Welcome from a fellow Arkansan!! I am located just North of Harrison in Omaha, AR. Do you plan to go to Natural State Overland Bonfire Run?

Reactions: Dave Lay

Dave Lay

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

I dunno Jonathan, I haven’t made plans to yet. What’s the date this year I assume this weekend ? I have a 5 day trip planned the first week In May which I think is shortly following the bonfire gathering so not sure I’ll make it or not , but would like to

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Creek Overland