Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Just wanted to share some fun times I had out at Red Sands near El Paso TX (so glad to be out of there but I do miss some of the scenery). Oh the muddy pic was here in Georgia, still looking for a good area for a trip that isn't 4+ hours away.

1017118_10203474911812490_2073670625_n.jpg 1546327_10203475385024320_1233040669_n.jpg 1656144_10203474911332478_2050604898_n.jpg 12108991_10208244622412274_7045237637029710701_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We're about to trade in our Grand Cherokee for a new Cherokee. Is that the Trailhawk?

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
We're about to trade in our Grand Cherokee for a new Cherokee. Is that the Trailhawk?
Mine is the Cherokee Trailhawk from 2014, almost the top trim level for creature comforts but not quite, and for the engine I got the 4 instead of the 6, gas mileage is about the same and there are plenty of people who argue both sides but for me I love mine as it is :) My old rig was a 93 Nissan Pathfinder so I wanted something close to it when I got back to adventuring. Hit me up anytime if you have any questions!

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Mine is the Cherokee Trailhawk from 2014, almost the top trim level for creature comforts but not quite, and for the engine I got the 4 instead of the 6, gas mileage is about the same and there are plenty of people who argue both sides but for me I love mine as it is :) My old rig was a 93 Nissan Pathfinder so I wanted something close to it when I got back to adventuring. Hit me up anytime if you have any questions!
Thanks for the info. I'd love a Trailhawk but don't think I can afford it. But we're going to look at them and see what's within our budget.

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Thanks for the info. I'd love a Trailhawk but don't think I can afford it. But we're going to look at them and see what's within our budget.
I didn't think I could as well, I had to trade in to get the price down, ended up driving away owing about 30k for my baby, but that was in Las Vegas (home away from home) and the salesman was crazy nice to me since we were both vets, he did everything he could to save me money. I also did A Lot of research before I walked onto the lot so he respected my choices and stuff. Anyways I wish y'all the best of luck and if you do get one I'd love to see it!

Reactions: ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I didn't think I could as well, I had to trade in to get the price down, ended up driving away owing about 30k for my baby, but that was in Las Vegas (home away from home) and the salesman was crazy nice to me since we were both vets, he did everything he could to save me money. I also did A Lot of research before I walked onto the lot so he respected my choices and stuff. Anyways I wish y'all the best of luck and if you do get one I'd love to see it!
Thanks again. Hoping in the next month! As long as I don't trash my Jeep at Redbird the end of this month in Indiana.

Reactions: überlander

CharlesThe2nd

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, ME
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Nunez
Member #

Fellow Georgian here, grew up in St.Marys, went to school in Statesboro, so same next of the woods relatively. Pics are great! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun in that Cherokee! Have you ever been 4wheeling up in the mountains of North Georgia? A lot of great overlanding trails up there once you get into the mountains.

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Fellow Georgian here, grew up in St.Marys, went to school in Statesboro, so same next of the woods relatively. Pics are great! Looks like you've been having a lot of fun in that Cherokee! Have you ever been 4wheeling up in the mountains of North Georgia? A lot of great overlanding trails up there once you get into the mountains.
Please share the spots up north man! I need something close to go nuts at!

CharlesThe2nd

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, ME
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Nunez
Member #

Please share the spots up north man! I need something close to go nuts at!
Well, it depends on what you'd like to get into. There are a few dedicated OHV parks in the areas in and around the Chattahoochee National Forest, and you can go from mild to wild at those. Plenty of 4wd trails up there that connect between towns, and all it takes are some good Forest Service maps to make routes. Brasstown bald is a good spot to visit in that area as well, between Blairsville and Helen area. I could ask a friend who lives in Chattanooga for some GPS coord. of 4wd trails. He works for a company doing GIS mapping and knows basically ever back road in N. GA.

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Well, it depends on what you'd like to get into. There are a few dedicated OHV parks in the areas in and around the Chattahoochee National Forest, and you can go from mild to wild at those. Plenty of 4wd trails up there that connect between towns, and all it takes are some good Forest Service maps to make routes. Brasstown bald is a good spot to visit in that area as well, between Blairsville and Helen area. I could ask a friend who lives in Chattanooga for some GPS coord. of 4wd trails. He works for a company doing GIS mapping and knows basically ever back road in N. GA.
I would love some trail ideas, I'd explore more myself but someone always owns the land around here and I don't want to get in trouble for trespassing, and I know of one park up north I've been meaning to go to. Will be in the Helen area 4th of July, I'll look around there for sure, I'd appreciate any coords you could get me, all about who you know haha, thanks again!

CharlesThe2nd

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, ME
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Nunez
Member #

I would love some trail ideas, I'd explore more myself but someone always owns the land around here and I don't want to get in trouble for trespassing, and I know of one park up north I've been meaning to go to. Will be in the Helen area 4th of July, I'll look around there for sure, I'd appreciate any coords you could get me, all about who you know haha, thanks again!
I'll give my buddy a shout and see if he knows good trails around Helen! You're welcome, it's a good reason reach out to an old friend, so thank you.

E

expeditionnorth

Welcome & nice rig
I havent heard "fng" for a while
thank you for your service to our country

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
How are those Jeep Cherrokees handling offroad?
edit-read through the post first next time... lol
No worries, mine has taken everything I've thrown at it, got hung up in really loose sand once but was able to back out of it after messing around. Great on gas, the entire bottom has armor on it to save from rocks and such, couldn't ask for more for me. I'm a dad of 3 and this is my daily driver as well as my Overlanding rig so for myself there's no better option out there, hope this helps! Ask me anything else if you need to know more.