San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Mess
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUE
Seems like a good device for people that just need to pair to their phone.

It uses the same subscription service as the other InReach devices.

I'm probably going to get this instead of a mini 2 since it has more battery life and it can share the charge with your phone!

Other thoughts?

Reactions: Johnny_Wadd

Johnny_Wadd

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Antonio
First Name
John
Last Name
Quiroz
Member #

I’ve had my inReach Mini (older version) for about 3 years now. I guess the plus side of having the Mini would be you could still compose custom texts with it or via your phone.

Worst case scenario you break or lose your phone somehow I think you can just only send an SOS or pre-set messages with this new messenger.

I’m not 100% sure on this last part about pre-set messages or if you can compose a custom one on this unit without a paired phone.

Reactions: El-Dracho

sebm

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Mess
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUE
I’ve had my inReach Mini (older version) for about 3 years now. I guess the plus side of having the Mini would be you could still compose custom texts with it or via your phone.

Worst case scenario you break or lose your phone somehow I think you can just only send an SOS or pre-set messages with this new messenger.

I’m not 100% sure on this last part about pre-set messages or if you can compose a custom one on this unit without a paired phone.
Yea you can but it's really slow, only 3 buttons on the device!

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
What does this do that the new Iphone and it's satellite connectivity not do?

sebm

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Seb
Last Name
Mess
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6RUE
What does this do that the new Iphone and it's sattellite connectivity not do?
Iphone can't send messages to phone numbers, only emergency signal (not even a message) to authorities.
This sends messages in seconds, while moving and the iPhone takes 30s and you have to point it at the sky and not move for the whole duration. It could take minutes to find a satellite (its 30s when it has a lock on the satellite)
Very different devices for different use cases.

@Michael has a good video on his YouTube channel about it