New from Portland, OR

• HTML tutorial

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

Decided to take the plunge and buy a rig I've wanted for a while - a 1989 Mitsubishi Delica. It's on a delivery truck from the east coast now and will (crossing my fingers) be delivered this upcoming weekend.

It's been a long time since I've done any overlanding. When we were kids, and probably before overlanding was a term and community like it is today. We'd go on long trips with our dad in his Jeep, driving nearly the length of Oregon down to the California border without touching pavement. Looking forward to taking some of those trips on my own.

Attachments

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Decided to take the plunge and buy a rig I've wanted for a while - a 1989 Mitsubishi Delica. It's on a delivery truck from the east coast now and will (crossing my fingers) be delivered this upcoming weekend.

It's been a long time since I've done any overlanding. When we were kids, and probably before overlanding was a term and community like it is today. We'd go on long trips with our dad in his Jeep, driving nearly the length of Oregon down to the California border without touching pavement. Looking forward to taking some of those trips on my own.
Hello and welcome to the OB crew ...great looking rig and look forward to seeing your build and adventures

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Welcome it's funny I've actually seen one of those every once in a while cruising around Clackamas . a guy from Galamesh sp? Brewing has one and he happened to be across the parking lot from my work and I got to look at the inside of one of those Those are really cool unique rigs

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I've never seen one of those, but man is that thing cool! Congrats on the new rig day, and welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see some pics and stories about that rig.

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

I've never seen one of those, but man is that thing cool! Congrats on the new rig day, and welcome to the forum. I can't wait to see some pics and stories about that rig.
They were never sold in the states, so they first started being imported only a few years ago. I'm sure there's a few thousand here, but the fan base is growing rapidly. I won't be surprised if you start to see them soon!

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

Welcome it's funny I've actually seen one of those every once in a while cruising around Clackamas . a guy from Galamesh sp? Brewing has one and he happened to be across the parking lot from my work and I got to look at the inside of one of those Those are really cool unique rigs
There are a few here in town! In fact before I made this purchase we talked with a couple here in Portland that imports them as a side business. Even saw one today after stopping at See See Coffee Co.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I need to know more about this thing. Build thread? What motor is in it? So many questions! Glad it got there safe.

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

I need to know more about this thing. Build thread? What motor is in it? So many questions! Glad it got there safe.
Not sure how much 'building' will be going on as the only mods planned are a better roof rack system, new steering wheel, and snorkel.

The engine is a 2.5L Turbo Diesel that was sold in the united states thankfully. Makes finding parts much easier as the van itself was never offered here (well, technically a very tuned down 2WD people mover was for a few years). Has a pretty capable 4wd system - and the Chamonix edition I have has an LSD in the rear diff as well as a dual battery system designed for cold weather. Also includes a more rugged interior.

Now that this generation is almost entirely past 25 years old, they're coming more frequently to the US. I went through a dealer (DelicaUSA) for mine, but I see them pop up on Craigslist, and lots are coming down from Canada.